U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest Craig-NUFC

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/03/23/newcastle-united-cast-around-the-world-for-fresh-talent-61634-30605900/2/

As part of a major overhaul of their Academy set-up, United have released ten players and intend to mainly fill those gaps with signings in the Mehdi Abeid mould to refresh the club’s youth development.

The Journal understands an announcement on Reims midfielder Romain Amalfitano may be made at the end of the season after Newcastle agreed a deal to sign the promising 18-year-old.

United have had another young French player who has played in the minor leagues over the Channel on trial in the last fortnight and have told agents that they are looking to recruit in time for next season.

They are looking to recruit a striker, centre-back and midfielder, and may also look to secure young English players to supplement the under-18s who will be promoted into the development side.

The Journal understands a six-figure budget has been set aside to cover potential fees.

The blueprint for Newcastle is Abeid, who signed from Lens last summer with the intention of playing a season in Willie Donachie’s reserve side only to impress sufficiently to graduate into the first-team squad.

The Algeria under-23 international had the option to go out on loan before yesterday’s deadline but decided against it.

Preston North End were credited with an interest while Doncaster Rovers had also enquired about the midfielder – who is being groomed as a potential successor to Cheick Tiote.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/03/23/newcastle-united-cast-around-the-world-for-fresh-talent-61634-30605900/2/

As part of a major overhaul of their Academy set-up, United have released ten players and intend to mainly fill those gaps with signings in the Mehdi Abeid mould to refresh the club’s youth development.

The Journal understands an announcement on Reims midfielder Romain Amalfitano may be made at the end of the season after Newcastle agreed a deal to sign the promising 18-year-old.

United have had another young French player who has played in the minor leagues over the Channel on trial in the last fortnight and have told agents that they are looking to recruit in time for next season.

They are looking to recruit a striker, centre-back and midfielder, and may also look to secure young English players to supplement the under-18s who will be promoted into the development side.

The Journal understands a six-figure budget has been set aside to cover potential fees.

The blueprint for Newcastle is Abeid, who signed from Lens last summer with the intention of playing a season in Willie Donachie’s reserve side only to impress sufficiently to graduate into the first-team squad.

The Algeria under-23 international had the option to go out on loan before yesterday’s deadline but decided against it.

Preston North End were credited with an interest while Doncaster Rovers had also enquired about the midfielder – who is being groomed as a potential successor to Cheick Tiote.

He is 22. ;D

Ressies got bummed off WBA  4-1

Jak Alnwick, Patrick Nzuzi, Jeff Henderson ©, Alex Kitchen, Michael Riley, Marcus Maddison, Steven Logan, Brandon Miele, Michael Hoganson, Michael Richardson, Phil Airey

Subs not used: Jonathan Mitchell, Louis Storey, Ben Sayer, Ryan McGorrigan, Alex Gilliead

Mainly due to the team being made up of 16 and 17 year old youth players, I'd have thought.

yes think its a mixture of the youngsters and then the older ones are the ones being released, although you'd think they'd be busting a gut trying to impress any watching scouts that are present.

Guest bimpy474

Mainly due to the team being made up of 16 and 17 year old youth players, I'd have thought.

yes think its a mixture of the youngsters and then the older ones are the ones being released, although you'd think they'd be busting a gut trying to impress any watching scouts that are present.

It was exactly the same mix of players when Beardo was manager, the results were brilliant under him, ever since Donachie took over the results have been terrible, someone on here who i cant recall said that when they have been watching the reserves and Donachie has them playing long ball, and it doesn't suit the players at all.

It was exactly the same mix of players when Beardo was manager, the results were brilliant under him, ever since Donachie took over the results have been terrible, someone on here who i cant recall said that when they have been watching the reserves and Donachie has them playing long ball, and it doesn't suit the players at all.

Doing a great job preparing them for what to expect when they make the step up by the sounds of it  :thup:

Guest bimpy474

Doing a great job preparing them for what to expect when they make the step up by the sounds of it  :thup:

Aye :D, my thoughts with this are always have the reserves, youth teams of all ages playing the same way, same formation, same tactics, just like Barca do, well as much as can be possible, there will be the odd diversion from it but that should be at a minimum, that way players can come into the first team knowing the structure and way to play.

That's simply not true. Of our wins against Norwich (6-0), Swansea (5-3) and Liverpool (3-2) at the start of the season the only player who played in any them and yesterday was Michael Richardson.

We're losing these games because were playing very young players at reserve team level. Hopefully this time next year when these players are a bit more physically developed we'll be performing better.

Guest bimpy474

I said same mix, not same players......and you pick out three good results, what about the other results that were good under Beardo ?

Of course some will be better with first teamers in, such as Bolton away when Marveaux scored two but the results have been dire since Beardo left the job, and its has been like that from the minute Donachie took over.

I said same mix, not same players......and you pick out three good results, what about the other results that were good under Beardo ?

Of course some will be better with first teamers in, such as Bolton away when Marveaux scored two but the results have been dire since Beardo left the job, and its has been like that from the minute Donachie took over.

1. I don't really understand how you can say they are the same mix of players when they are a totally different set of players.

2. Looking at all the Beardsley results the highest number of players he played who also played yesterday was three.

3. Donachie's record after 6 games was Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 2. Not exactly an immediate descent into horrible form.

Yes, it is quite annoying to see the reserve team getting beat by large margins but the end goal is to produce first-team  players not neccessarily to win reserve team matches. If giving 16/17-year olds reserve team experience this term is going to help them develop as players than I'm all for it. It's also important to remember that probably our three brightest players in that age group (Campbell, Streete and Knight) were all missing yesterday.

Guest gasusoca

Look at Donachies track record. Follow around Joe Royle who was long ball.

Couple of 2nd in charg positions and inherited Milwall when Spackman was punted then lasted 5 minutes.

If I was a 17 yr old promising player from abroad he is hardly a magnet as a well respected coach??? Good coaches get players playing better  - Jose won the Champions League with Porto. Every minute Donnachie is here is a step backward imo

Look at Donachies track record. Follow around Joe Royle who was long ball.

Couple of 2nd in charg positions and inherited Milwall when Spackman was punted then lasted 5 minutes.

If I was a 17 yr old promising player from abroad he is hardly a magnet as a well respected coach??? Good coaches get players playing better  - Jose won the Champions League with Porto. Every minute Donnachie is here is a step backward imo

I really don't think any of us are in a position to say what Donachie is like as a coach. I certainly have no idea (and I suspect you don't either) whether he is a bad, average, good or excellent coach. My point is simply that the fact our reserve team is getting beaten regularly is probably more down to us blooding kids who aren't at reserve level yet than whether Willie Donachie is a good manager or not.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

1. I don't really understand how you can say they are the same mix of players when they are a totally different set of players.

2. Looking at all the Beardsley results the highest number of players he played who also played yesterday was three.

3. Donachie's record after 6 games was Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 2. Not exactly an immediate descent into horrible form.

Yes, it is quite annoying to see the reserve team getting beat by large margins but the end goal is to produce first-team  players not neccessarily to win reserve team matches. If giving 16/17-year olds reserve team experience this term is going to help them develop as players than I'm all for it. It's also important to remember that probably our three brightest players in that age group (Campbell, Streete and Knight) were all missing yesterday.

:thup:

Guest gasusoca

I have watched Donnachie coach - dire.

Watch him at the games - terrible.

The reserve and youth players who I know say he is shit.

If he had a track record of any sort it might help but would you really come here with him? Like having Gazza a your faith healer !!

Guest gasusoca

I am not a rejected youth player, just someone who cares about the club having watched them for over 40 years now.

Btw, thank God, Willy has nothing to do with the youth set-up !! Unfortunately he heads up the next level ie development/reserves.