U23s & Academy

Skirge

Official that we havnt made cat 1 status

I thought we were all about youth now

Dissappointing

Are you being serious? We're still playing catch up after years of neglect under Shepherd.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Official that we havnt made cat 1 status

I thought we were all about youth now

Dissappointing

Are you being serious? We're still playing catch up after years of neglect under Shepherd.

Miles been at the helm what, nearly 5 years now? I'm a big fan of what he has done but surely this is a kick in the teeth

Guest sicko2ndbest

Would've went to the ressies game against the heed tonight if the tickets weren't f***ing 10quid.

Madness.

First teamers will be involved

Aye goes to show the extent of the farce under Shepherd that we have heavily invested and still fall short of the Cat 1

For all this talk of 'investment', can anyone in the know actually identify what this has been spent on? Or are we just going on paper talk?

And someone will have to remind me who was running the club when we bought and upgraded the current training facilities, because I'm pretty sure that was about 10 years ago when Ashley was fully focused on selling clobber.

Guest Roger Kint

Aye goes to show the extent of the farce under Shepherd that we have heavily invested and still fall short of the Cat 1

For all this talk of 'investment', can anyone in the know actually identify what this has been spent on? Or are we just going on paper talk?

And someone will have to remind me who was running the club when we bought and upgraded the current training facilities, because I'm pretty sure that was about 10 years ago when Ashley was fully focused on selling clobber.

Not sure what the current training facilities has to do with this seeing as the academy is a separate thing. To answer your question i have no idea what has been spent, without a detailed read of every years accounts i cant tell.

Guest Roger Kint

Seems pretty indefensible if we haven't been able to get it.

So you know exactly what criteria was involved and how we missed out?

I still don't understand the consequences of being a lower tier club. Simply less attractive to kids or can Sunderland / Boro now poach even more of our young uns?

They can poach more young uns.

Doesn't really matter right now how we missed out, we just did.

If it's two years before you can reapply or whatever that a bummer. Two years is a long time in youth footballing terms.

In fairness it would be nice to know though.

Guest Roger Kint

Doesn't really matter right now how we missed out, we just did.

If it's two years before you can reapply or whatever that a bummer. Two years is a long time in youth footballing terms.

In fairness it would be nice to know though.

Well the official PL site says its judged on:

Academies will be independently audited and given a Category status of 1 to 4, with 1 being the most elite. Up to 10 different factors will be considered in the grading, including productivity rates; training facilities; and coaching, education and welfare provisions.

Even they are being vague in the criteria. Still with no answers the reaction is 'indefensible' :lol:

No I don't. It was however a stated goal of the Club (Publicised in February this year). The audit for clubs took place in March. Given the supposed emphasis on youth and the fact that these changes had been mooted for a while it seems pretty bad if the club haven't been able to get its house in order. A club insider  (Journal February) said it was 'imperative' to Ashley's vision for the future of the club.

If it was my business and I had missed out I would be pretty disappointed.

Edit I appreciate the point about indefensible being too strong a word, however, in my area of work for example, new regulations, schemes and criteria come into force fairly regularly. If you do not comply with them you go out of business. If it is education and accommodation as mentioned above  then it would appear somewhere there has been a lack of foresight.

No I don't. It was however a stated goal of the Club (Publicised in February this year). The audit for clubs took place in March. Given the supposed emphasis on youth and the fact that these changes had been mooted for a while it seems pretty bad if the club haven't been able to get its house in order. A club insider  (Journal February) said it was 'imperative' to Ashley's vision for the future of the club.

If it was my business, necks would be on chopping blocks and heads would be rolling right about now.

I'm really disappointed about that man. :huff:

Guest Roger Kint

:lol: I will wait for facts then

If Boro are cat 1 then there is no excuse that we are not. let's hope we don't lose out on any good players because of this.

Just as I thought the club had sorted itself out. Disgraceful tbh.