Hughton is not a manager!

jimmymag

IMO who our leader is on the pitch is more important at the moment...and in Steve Harper I think we have selected the right man for the remainder of this campaign...

Seriously? I don't think we have ANY leaders on the pitch myself. Always concerns me when a goalkeeper is captain too.

Habib Beye is the closest we've got to a leader on the pitch, Barton would be the right sort if he wasn't a prick. Other thatn that take your pick, one's as good or bad as the other.

Not that I'm supporting Hughton or the board in the slightest, because I think the former is inept and the latter are numpties.

But put yourself in the board's shoes, you can't effectively sack a manager who's just had a heart bypass and is in recovery, who you've backed and offered a long term contract to. Both legally and from a PR prespective, it's fraught with dangers. So there really is no chance that they'll make a permenant appointment, their only hope is another interim appointment but considering they were scraping the bottom of the barrell when they appointed JFK in the first place, the iterim candidates don't offer much of an upgrade to Hughton and will no doubt come at a heavy cost financially, as the board have proved that they barely look beyond the short term financially, I can't see them making a move.

We are stuck with Hughton, I think until JFK gets back, and even when he does, has he really got it in him to keep us up. I doubt it very much. What a ludicrous situation to be in.

Not that I'm supporting Hughton or the board in the slightest, because I think the former is inept and the latter are numpties.

But put yourself in the board's shoes, you can't effectively sack a manager who's just had a heart bypass and is in recovery, who you've backed and offered a long term contract to. Both legally and from a PR prespective, it's fraught with dangers. So there really is no chance that they'll make a permenant appointment, their only hope is another interim appointment but considering they were scraping the bottom of the barrell when they appointed JFK in the first place, the iterim candidates don't offer much of an upgrade to Hughton and will no doubt come at a heavy cost financially, as the board have proved that they barely look beyond the short term financially, I can't see them making a move.

We are stuck with Hughton, I think until JFK gets back, and even when he does, has he really got it in him to keep us up. I doubt it very much. What a ludicrous situation to be in.

:sadnod:

I agree in the main, but if the situation arises where we have to chose between a legal and PR disaster or a relegation disaster I would expect those in charge to make the right decision and do everything within their power to avoid complete disaster that would follow from relegation. Legally I don't think thanking JFK for his troubles and moving on would be much of an issue. A contract isn't legally valid until agreed by both parties and an offered contract can be withdrawn without severe legal ramifications I would have thought. If it comes down to PR, they need to make their minds up about what would constitute a worse scenario: thanking an inept heart patient for trying and moving on or hanging onto him and risk causing severe, possibly irrepairable damage to said heart patient and the club itself.

I agree in the main, but if the situation arises where we have to chose between a legal and PR disaster or a relegation disaster I would expect those in charge to make the right decision and do everything within their power to avoid complete disaster that would follow from relegation. Legally I don't think thanking JFK for his troubles and moving on would be much of an issue. A contract isn't legally valid until agreed by both parties and an offered contract can be withdrawn without severe legal ramifications I would have thought. If it comes down to PR, they need to make their minds up about what would constitute a worse scenario: thanking an inept heart patient for trying and moving on or hanging onto him and risk causing severe, possibly irrepairable damage to said heart patient and the club itself.

spot on.

give me a pr problem over a relegation one anyday

I'd just like to say, regardless of the result against Man United (posting at HT now), Hughton has played this to perfection so far - trying to contain and then break with pace. You just know Kinnear would have gone 4-5-1 with Shola playing as a lone striker.

Hughton isn't as stupid as some people say he is.

I'd just like to say, regardless of the result against Man United (posting at HT now), Hughton has played this to perfection so far - trying to contain and then break with pace. You just know Kinnear would have gone 4-5-1 with Shola playing as a lone striker.

It's the games against the likes of Bolton that he will be judged on, not games against the top 4.

he clearly is

I don't think he's thick or anything per se, to be honest I'm more impressed with his tactics and subs than Kinnear's.

The problem with him is that he seems like a bit of a quiet, mild-mannered fellow and he doesn't really have the presence  to motivate players. His lack of charisma was painfully evident when we crashed and burned under his tenure after KK left.

Our build up tactics are pretty diabolical tbh, from Harper all we do is hoof it to Martins who was never going to win a header against Vidic.

I was however impressed with the way Lovenkrands was deployed today. He started him CF but utilised his pace well, when we defended Love dropped back making a 5 man midfield but when we attacked he was straight up there with Martins running at pace. I thought this was extremely clever on Hughton's part.

On subs, they're much better than JK's but the timing is still a bit off.

Guest Chris P

Our build up tactics are pretty diabolical tbh, from Harper all we do is hoof it to Martins who was never going to win a header against Vidic.

I was however impressed with the way Lovenkrands was deployed today. He started him CF but utilised his pace well, when we defended Love dropped back making a 5 man midfield but when we attacked he was straight up there with Martins running at pace. I thought this was extremely clever on Hughton's part.

Timing??????

Timing??????

I mean the timing of the subs is a bit too late, they bring the right people on but just too late. They made changes around 75 mins today but we needed a change after 65 mins in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hughton showed again with yesterday's team selection that he is not up to this job. Owen should never have started, but Hughton has not got the balls to disappoint someone like Owen so changed a side that had worried the Mancs for half an hour in order to accommodate him.

Having seen the pictures of Ashley yesterday looking like he was shitting himself, I think even he can see that if he doesn't do something about the lack of management and leadership at NUFC then we are odds on for the drop.

Time is running out Mr Ashley. You've got 9 games left to save our season and save your investment in the club. You should bring in Venables now offering him a large bonus if he keeps us up. I believe it would be money well spent.

I am not even convinced he is a coach, I am not convinced any of our squad are getting any sort of coaching to improve their game, seems all they do is fitness work, improvement on their games eems to be left down to the players themselves.

Guest Stephen927

I am not even convinced he is a coach, I am not convinced any of our squad are getting any sort of coaching to improve their game, seems all they do is fitness work, improvement on their games eems to be left down to the players themselves.

Wouldn't be surprised if they only did defensive work in training as it's something thats far easier to coach into players than attacking football.

I'd worry about Kinnear coming back from such a serious operation into such a high pressure environment.

Maybe it's time to pay him the rest of his contract and bring in a permanent manager.

Been my thought all along regarding his health. Although I'd love to see someone come in and sort us out properly the very earliest that's likely to happen is the summer, so all we can do is hope our current 'dream team' keeps us up. I'm sure the next appointment will be 'Souness-esque' anyway as we so love to do.

It wasn't just the decision to start Owen that was wrong, bringing Nicky Butt back into a midfield that had passed the ball well for the first time in weeks against Man U was another example of picking on reputation rather than form.

Hughton is fine as a number two but if he stays in charge much longer he will take us down.

What I don't understand is, Hughton was complaining that Owen needs service to score, yet HE was the one who picked a midfield with three central midfielders, two of who's combined age is closer to 70 than 60, and the other used to be a hard working striker.

What service was he hoping to provide bearing in mind the team he picked?