Let's define "footballing brain" (apologies to Nixon & HTT)

bulivye

i'm curious what we all really think this phrase/term means.  we hear it tossed about all the time but it seemed to have been a sticking point in the 'ability' thread...

so, what is it?  i've always taken it  to mean that a player is intelligent vis a vis football.  the player w/ a good footballing brain, imo, has good vision--in the sense that he spots the open pass to make, or the open man needing to be closed down etc... but also vision in the sense that he has a plan to 'ask questions' of his opponents, or answer those asked.  i'm sure there's deficiencies in my definition & it falls short...  so, i'm askin'---what is a 'footballing brain'?

I would define it as being:

1) Not getting sent off for stupid 'beef' challenges (for example, see Emre vs John Eustace in Keegan's homecoming)

2) Having the ability to pick a pass that a spectator may not have spotted, or to read his team-mates run or idea and link up with them.

I think anticipation is the key component of having a good 'footballing brain'. If you pin a good footballing brain on a defender, it's usually referring to watching a striker's runs, or cutting out a through ball and suchlike. Similarly with a striker, you only need to look at Michael Owen. You can detriment him by saying he's simply a decent goalpoacher; that's not true - he's a brilliant one. He knows where the wingers are going, knows where to go, knows when the keepers gonna fluff it. He's got a cracking footballing brain if you ask me.

So yeah, anticipation.

I would define it as being:

1) Not getting sent off for stupid 'beef' challenges (for example, see Emre vs John Eustace in Keegan's homecoming)

2) Having the ability to pick a pass that a spectator may not have spotted, or to read his team-mates run or idea and link up with them.

Further to 2), it's also knowing when to attempt said pass, or when to knock it square six yards.

It's just being an intelligant player. They pick passes the average players don't see, they make runs the average players don't track and so on.

So yeah I'd say a lot of it is down to awareness to a certain extent.

I often think that someone with a good footballing brain is someone who sees the game like spectators do. I know what I mean anyway.

i understand you to mean they 'see' the game as from a spectator's point of view...?    sort of a way of articulating 'awareness'...

Definition to be found under the following names in the Oxford English Dictionary;

Beardsley, P

Messi, L

Maradona, D

Butt, N

Oh wait, one of them is wrong. Forget Messi, the rest stand.

Players who play the game upstairs rather than using speed to get them out the shit...perfect example imo was Bobby Moore..don't think anybody read the game better.

Tony Adam's was a fantastic reader of the game too.

Players who play the game upstairs rather than using speed to get them out the shit...perfect example imo was Bobby Moore..don't think anybody read the game better.

Tony Adam's was a fantastic reader of the game too.

In later years yes.

It's about decision-making - reacting to every situation in the way that's going to do most harm to the opposition, even if that means doing something quite unorthodox.

Kenny Dalglish had a fantastic football brain. Every time he got on the ball, he seemed to do just the right thing with it.

Sometimes talented players don't possess the best football intelligence, because they can hang on to the ball too long.

I think the ability to read the game - ebbs and flows, mismatches, how strengths match up...

Anticipation

A good first look.

The saying that always comes to mind as a coach  - Don't go where the ball has been, go where the ball will be. In order to do that you need all of the above. IMHO

Guest Howaythetoon

The ability to recognise and visualise concepts within the game, as they are happening, before they unfold or whether they even exist and then being able to react or interact to them.

I often think that someone with a good footballing brain is someone who sees the game like spectators do. I know what I mean anyway.

i understand you to mean they 'see' the game as from a spectator's point of view...?    sort of a way of articulating 'awareness'...

Indeed.

Solano for sure has a footballing brain, you just had to watch how he played the game and talked to other players showing them where he wanted the ball etc.

One player who without any shadow of doubt has not got a footballing brain, nor will ever, is Shola Ameobi. 

When I used to play I was told this was one of my strengths. The ability to pick out the run of a team mate or a pass into space that triggers a movement before the other team can react to it (in the Professional game before the spectators see the play unfolding).

To me, having a footballing brain is just being someone who understands the game of football. to TRULY understand the game.

Beardsley is a perfect example because he could pass, he could tackle, he could score and he could lead and have a psychological impact on a game.

Guest quklaani

http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetmQXk/playerpages/additionalplayerphotos/sheringhamcelebrates.jpg

First thing that comes to mind.  I think players who can keep playing til an age like Teddy are almost invariably great examples.