Newcastle 1 - 2 Manchester United - 04/03/09 - post match reaction from page 18

Dave

Decent performance, if it wasn't for Raylor I honestly thought we'd have gotten a point out of this. They were doing most of the attacking but truth be told, they didn't look like they were ever going to crack us.

Hughton was surprisingly good today too (except the part where he let Smith on the pitch), for once we had a gameplan and it worked.

Guest firetotheworks

People need to get a f***ing grip some were predicting 7-0 for f***s sake. For twenty five minutes half an hour we caused all kinds of problems. All three goals came about because of individual errors not just the one, I'm not excusing them but it happens.

There are so many positives to take out of this game, injuries and all, yet people take this match of all matches to start doom monging, f***ing pathetic man.

Abso-bloody-exactly.

If that was a good shift from Smith then i dread to think what a bad one looks like. Aye i know we all hate him so we're gonna jump on his back, but sorry, he was shite. Misplaced passes, no movement, and he just seemed to put his teammates in trouble. I know he's short on fitness but it was no different to the Smith we saw last season. Just a thoroughly pointless cog in the engine, tbh. Offered nowt.

I thought Enrique was our best player.

Agree with all of that. Also thought Bassong, barring a couple of mistakes (not marking Vidic on that corner and messing up in front of Ronaldo) looked good, as usual.

Martins was disappointing imo, we need a lot more from him, and need him to be sharper. Love was actually pretty good as well.

Whilst Martins wasn't that great, his mere presence on the pitch proved what a difference to the side he makes. Them counter-attacks in the first half wouldn't have been achieved without him in the side - regardless of whether or not he even touched the ball. Defenses have to drop back when he's playing.

If that was a good shift from Smith then i dread to think what a bad one looks like. Aye i know we all hate him so we're gonna jump on his back, but sorry, he was s****. Misplaced passes, no movement, and he just seemed to put his teammates in trouble. I know he's short on fitness but it was no different to the Smith we saw last season. Just a thoroughly pointless cog in the engine, tbh. Offered nowt.

Agree with all of that. Also thought Bassong, barring a couple of mistakes (not marking Vidic on that corner and messing up in front of Ronaldo) looked good, as usual.

Martins was disappointing imo, we need a lot more from him, and need him to be sharper. Love was actually pretty good as well.

Whilst Martins wasn't that great, his mere presence on the pitch proved what a difference to the side he makes. Them counter-attacks in the first half wouldn't have been achieved without him in the side - regardless of whether or not he even touched the ball. Defenses have to drop back when he's playing.

Martins has just been a fast Shola for the past two games. We need him to get back up to match sharpness quick or we're pretty fucked.

People need to get a fucking grip some were predicting 7-0 for fucks sake. For twenty five minutes half an hour we caused all kinds of problems. All three goals came about because of individual errors not just the one, I'm not excusing them but it happens.

There are so many positives to take out of this game, injuries and all, yet people take this match of all matches to start doom monging, fucking pathetic man.

It's just disappointing that we only decided to start playing when the big boys rolled into town. And lost anyway.

Hopefully the obvious positives are carried into the games we stand a much greater chance of winning, but I'm sure there's not just me expecting the level to drop once again.

Why do people NOW think that were going down after losing to the worlds best team? Fucking daft.

7 points from the last 33 would make you fucking daft also... Look at the other results/scores current.... to think we are safe.  Are we fuck

If that was a good shift from Smith then i dread to think what a bad one looks like. Aye i know we all hate him so we're gonna jump on his back, but sorry, he was s****. Misplaced passes, no movement, and he just seemed to put his teammates in trouble. I know he's short on fitness but it was no different to the Smith we saw last season. Just a thoroughly pointless cog in the engine, tbh. Offered nowt.

Martins has just been a fast Shola for the past two games. We need him to get back up to match sharpness quick or we're pretty fucked.

He really hasn't. He hasn't been great but stop exaggerating. That shot that scraped the post in the first half, for instance.

Guest firetotheworks

Why do people NOW think that were going down after losing to the worlds best team? f***ing daft.

7 points from the last 33 would make you f***ing daft also... Look at the other results/scores current.... to think we are safe.  Are we f***

The point is that people, including you are saying were fucked after playing Man United. What did you expect? Were far less fucked from that match than we could have been.

Hull winning  :kinnear:

Blackburn have a game in hand....and are doing alright..

Only team keeping us outta bottom 3 is portsmouth...and their next game is against......oh middlesborough.

So if we lose our next match we're almost certainly bottom 3 for time being

Why do people NOW think that were going down after losing to the worlds best team? f***ing daft.

7 points from the last 33 would make you f***ing daft also... Look at the other results/scores current.... to think we are safe.  Are we f***

The point is that people, including you are saying were fucked after playing Man United. What did you expect? Were far less fucked from that match than we could have been.

Exactly what I was getting at. It's not this game that's fucked us, regardless of "how close" it may or may not have been, it's the spurned chances earlier in the season.  No one expected any points from this game, and we got none, but all of the sudden now that's the worst possible result? 

The point is that people, including you are saying were f***ed after playing Man United. What did you expect? Were far less f***ed from that match than we could have been.

Exactly what I was getting at. It's not this game that's f***ed us, regardless of "how close" it may or may not have been, it's the spurned chances earlier in the season.  No one expected any points from this game, and we got none, but all of the sudden now that's the worst possible result? 

Maybe people arent reacting to the result of OUR match.

Theres other matches taking place which has put us in the sh.thouse if you lot were paying attention

For the record, I still believe we'll go down and the reason is a lack of attitude. Find it pretty galling that we can turn up and put in a performance against the Mancs and yet do absolutely bugger all at the likes of Blackburn and Bolton. Hope I'm wrong, but have just got the feeling in my water.

2145: "Manchester United nowhere near their best, but Sir Alex Ferguson and his players will only be concerned about getting the job done - and they have. Wayne Rooney was an inspiration tonight, and if it difficult to see how Chelsea or Liverpool can overhaul Manchester United now. Newcastle's fans give their team an ovation at the final whistle, which was deserved. They showed real character, but ultimately they were undone by a lack of class and a failure to make their early domination count - plus that moment of awful defending by Steven Taylor."

BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at St James' Park

7 points from the last 33 would make you f***ing daft also... Look at the other results/scores current.... to think we are safe. Are we f***

The point is that people, including you are saying were f***ed after playing Man United. What did you expect? Were far less f***ed from that match than we could have been.

Exactly what I was getting at. It's not this game that's f***ed us, regardless of "how close" it may or may not have been, it's the spurned chances earlier in the season. No one expected any points from this game, and we got none, but all of the sudden now that's the worst possible result?

Maybe people arent reacting to the result of OUR match.

Theres other matches taking place which has put us in the sh.thouse if you lot were paying attention

Are you this annoying in all aspects of your life or just on the internet?

It's really up to us now. We have the players back we need to succeed, and with news of Guthrie and Owen coming back the state of the squad is looking up. If we play with the desire we did today, it will allow our forward going talent to save us. The loss hurts, but we can certainly move on from this point.

2145: "Manchester United nowhere near their best, but Sir Alex Ferguson and his players will only be concerned about getting the job done - and they have. Wayne Rooney was an inspiration tonight, and if it difficult to see how Chelsea or Liverpool can overhaul Manchester United now. Newcastle's fans give their team an ovation at the final whistle, which was deserved. They showed real character, but ultimately they were undone by a lack of class and a failure to make their early domination count - plus that moment of awful defending by Steven Taylor."

BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at St James' Park

If it is him the guys been a complete assclown today as always, what a tw.t