Cracking interview with Steven Taylor

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5871229.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

Prankster Steven Taylor leads battle for survivalGeorge Caulkin

Newcastle United are not safe; not safe from relegation and certainly not safe from Steven Taylor, whose technique as a footballer is matched by a knack for provoking bedlam among his team-mates. His professional armoury stretches farther than shin pads and boots and Newcastle may require all of it, from the karaoke machine, the Bic razors and a garish orange tuxedo to a bottle of Tabasco.

This has been a queasy season, but Taylor is striving to prevent Newcastle’s training ground from becoming sullen. Now more than ever — with no full-time manager to guide them — their campaign hinges on the talent and spirit of their players. It is where Taylor, the squad’s cheerleader, prankster and reigning “Toon Idol”, could make a difference.

Amid the banter nestles a substantive point. Hailing from a family of Geordies (though Taylor was born in London, where Alf, his father, was serving as a detective with the Metropolitan Police), with parents who lived in a building called Wor Hoose, and as a former season ticket-holder at St James’ Park, the 23-year-old defender knows Newcastle. He understands the rhythms of the city, the meaning of its club.

“We care,” he said. “Of course we care. There’s not one person in that dressing-room who can be thinking, ‘Na, we’re going to sack this off.’ If you don’t want to give it 100 per cent, then go and find another job, because we need players who are committed to this football club.”

That Taylor is untroubled by glittering reputations could be garnered by his confrontation with Cristiano Ronaldo, the Manchester United forward, last week. Relegation is a sobering concept — and, given that after Saturday’s visit to Hull City, Newcastle’s next two home matches are against Arsenal and Chelsea, not a fanciful one — but depression cannot fester. Humour and unity turn players into teams. “It takes the pain away from games,” Taylor said. “If causing a bit of mayhem or bringing out a row takes the pressure away from the football side, then I’ll do it.”

Except, of course, that Taylor’s cover has been blown. “There have been a few little incidents,” he said. “A few of the lads have been stitched up but don’t know the identity of who may or may not be the culprit. Like what they’ve found in their wash-bags, which is probably too bad to be printed. It could get me in trouble, and not just with the players. With everybody.

“I find myself getting bored a lot and when I’m bored, I’m dangerous. The fun part is trying to get out of trouble. But there’s a serious side to it as well. For our Christmas do, we went out for a bonding session and a couple of the young lads, Fraser Forster and Jonny Godsmark, decided to go home early. When I looked around and saw they’d gone, I thought, ‘We’re in this together, you can’t do that.’

“The consequences were me getting a master key card, going into their room and using a Bic to shave their hair off. They had Mohicans. And that was just my little warning. The next night, they were out with the rest of us until the very end. That’s how it should be. That’s how this football club needs to stay together. It might sound daft, but it’s important.”

Style is a recurring theme. Taylor has purchased an orange tuxedo, a homage to the film Dumb and Dumber, which Ryan Taylor, a recent recruit from Wigan Athletic, must wear for training after trailing in a game of “football golf”.

“I get the lads playing pool,” Steven Taylor said. “With forfeits. If you lose, you’ve got to do something like take a shot of Tabasco, or have an ice bath. I get more nervous doing that than playing football.”

He has a showman’s ebullience, reflected on the pitch with occasional theatrics and off it with a fine voice, which comes to prominence at Newcastle’s annual party. “We do a singing contest called ‘Toon Idol’ and in my first year I dressed up as Ali G,” Taylor said. “There were 18 people in it, but somehow I won. Every year, the previous winner has to keep singing and there hasn’t been much competition, so I’m still champion. Last year was a bit of Ronan Keating’s If Tomorrow Never Comes. Simon Cowell hasn’t rung yet . . .”

Alf has been a huge influence, from picking up practical jokes to perfecting the poker face Taylor needs to get away with them. “Having a policeman for a dad was interesting,” he said. “He knows who’s lying and who isn’t and I would always get found out. He’s the only person who knows me inside out. He’s got that experience on me, but I’m learning. I’m catching up to him.

“My parents follow me everywhere. I speak to them every day and I owe them everything. I live by myself now, but my mam still does all of my washing, cleaning and ironing and if we’ve got a match on a Saturday I’ll go home on the Friday because I’m guaranteed good food. Sometimes my Dad still gives me wake-up calls. I’ll probably be the worst husband ever.”

In other arenas, he acquits himself with distinction. The captain of the England Under-21 side, Taylor has been capped 29 times and his potential has been recognised by successive managers at Newcastle, whether playing at centre half, his preferred position, or right back.

He described a challenging season as “wild, crazy, but then there’s always something happening here”. The “something” includes a recent event at the stadium — the donation of £1 million from the Football Foundation to help to fund a community sports complex in Longhoughton, Northumberland — at which he mingled with schoolchildren and posed for photographs, illustrating the game’s capacity for positive change. Bonds have been stretched at Newcastle, but they remain fundamental to their prospects for success.

“I grew up in Churchill playing fields in Whitley Bay, playing football every day.” Taylor said. “Ours was a black-and-white house. My dad had always gone to the match, just like his dad, and we had season tickets in the Sir John Hall Stand. I was a ballboy, too, and that was the best feeling ever. I never thought at that age that I’d end up playing for this club.

“Everything led up to Saturday and those feelings are still there, still inside me. I know that for the supporters, their week is guided by our results and that’s a big responsibility. I think it’s when I score goals that it all comes out of me — I celebrate like the fans celebrate. Once I ran the length of the pitch and I regretted doing it, because with two minutes to go, I couldn’t do anything. My legs felt like jelly.”

For those with Newcastle in their hearts, there is a familiar refrain. “When this club takes off again, it’s going to be absolutely unbelievable,” Taylor said. “It’s just a matter of when. It’s just waiting.” In the meantime, he will ensure his colleagues stay alert. They are not safe yet.

'Relegation? This club belongs in Europe'

Weeks such as this one, when England’s leading clubs are engaged in European fixtures, are painful for Steven Taylor, who was in the crowd at St James’ Park when Faustino Asprilla scored a hat-trick against Barcelona in 1997 and who made his Newcastle United debut in the Uefa Cup in 2004 (George Caulkin writes). They are dimming memories.

“We need to stay up this season and then concentrate on getting into Europe,” Taylor said. “This club belongs there. We’ve played in the Champions League. When we were knocked out of Europe a couple of years ago, it killed us a bit because it wasn’t the same. You want to be travelling, having something different to challenge for. It doesn’t feel right without it. The last thing we want is to be watching the television when other English clubs are playing in Europe. Every match hurts like a kick in the teeth.”

Taylor admitted that Newcastle are “way off” that goal. “We need to build around the players we’ve got,” he said. “I’m sure the directors will be bringing some players in. I thought our squad was very small last year, but it’s got even smaller.”

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Sounds like an absolute fucking moron :lol: We may belong in Europe but we're not going to get there by giving Ryan Taylor a wedgie

“I find myself getting bored a lot and when I’m bored, I’m dangerous. The fun part is trying to get out of trouble. But there’s a serious side to it as well. For our Christmas do, we went out for a bonding session and a couple of the young lads, Fraser Forster and Jonny Godsmark, decided to go home early. When I looked around and saw they’d gone, I thought, ‘That's a professional attitude, you can’t do that.’

“The consequences were me getting a master key card, going into their room and using a Bic to shave the hair off their balls. They had Mohicans. And that was just my little warning. The next night, they were out with the rest of us until the very end. They played shite the next day but that's how it should be. That’s how this football club needs to stay together. It might sound daft, but it’s important.”

“I get the lads playing pool,” Steven Taylor said. “With forfeits. If you lose, you’ve got to do something like take a shot of Tabasco, or have an ice bath. I get more nervous doing that than playing football.”

:kinnear:

Should the players really be doing this at training?  ;D

Don't mind the lad at all and I'm glad he's on our books, imo he has talent and commitment but isn't mature enough yet. If everyone is fit he doesn't play in the team I would pick. I really can't get too excited about PR driven articles like this with the shyte thats going on at the club right now. 

Guest Geordiecunny

Yes, thats whats going to keep us up, off you go lads, go get pissed!! Champions league here we come. We'll pick up the tabasco on the way.

Don't mind the lad at all and I'm glad he's on our books, imo he has talent and commitment but isn't mature enough yet. If everyone is fit he doesn't play in the team I would pick. I really can't get too excited about PR driven articles like this with the shyte thats going on at the club right now. 

this

"I live by myself now, but my mam still does all of my washing, cleaning and ironing"

FFS.

On second thoughts, it's just as well. He'd only get too excited and put everything on a boil wash then put his foot through the tumble drier.

Then as his mam comes in and sees the mess he's made, he'd fall to the floor clutching his chest to cover his embarrassment.

"I live by myself now, but my mam still does all of my washing, cleaning and ironing"

FFS.

On second thoughts, it's just as well. He'd only get too excited and put everything on a boil wash then put his foot through the tumble drier.

Then as his mam comes in and sees the mess he's made, he'd fall to the floor clutching his chest to cover his embarrassment.

:lol:

JFK's favourite football journo Simon Bird likes Taylor's style...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/03/11/why-newcastle-need-more-players-with-the-fight-of-ronaldo-baiter-steven-taylor-115875-21190086/

England-U21 defender Steven Taylor's bust up with Ronaldo on the pitch last week, and Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic in the tunnel, has seen fans up and down the country divided.

Ronaldo the diver? Taylor the aggressor? Did Rio deserve the "you're ugly" insult?

Taylor, an honest and open lad, won't have been proud of the way he caught Ronaldo up around the neck. But he can be proud of his willingness to stand toe-to-toe with the potential champions and give them a scrap.

Newcastle need more like him. Men with energy, passion and the appetite for a scrap. Taylor's challenge is to channel those admirable qualities into strong, but fair, defending.

And a few after hours training sessions work on his back chat.

I always found his former team mate Craig Bellamy had the best put downs.

Fair comments.

JFK's favourite football journo Simon Bird likes Taylor's style...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/03/11/why-newcastle-need-more-players-with-the-fight-of-ronaldo-baiter-steven-taylor-115875-21190086/

England-U21 defender Steven Taylor's bust up with Ronaldo on the pitch last week, and Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic in the tunnel, has seen fans up and down the country divided.

Ronaldo the diver? Taylor the aggressor? Did Rio deserve the "you're ugly" insult?

Taylor, an honest and open lad, won't have been proud of the way he caught Ronaldo up around the neck. But he can be proud of his willingness to stand toe-to-toe with the potential champions and give them a scrap.

Newcastle need more like him. Men with energy, passion and the appetite for a scrap. Taylor's challenge is to channel those admirable qualities into strong, but fair, defending.

And a few after hours training sessions work on his back chat.

I always found his former team mate Craig Bellamy had the best put downs.

Fair comments.

Taylor should have been sent off at HT if the ref had his eyes open, then Simon Bird would have been blasting him in his column for his reckless stupidity. Taylor needs to show his fight and passion with his ability to defend, not showboat or attempt to get away with assaulting opposition players.

Taylor needs to show his fight and passion with his ability to defend, not showboat or attempt to get away with assaulting opposition players.

Which is more or less what Bird was getting at, and what I agreed with.