Michael Owen makes ends meet

hallihg

we turned down robbie keane for 8 million because souness said he wasn't a proper footballer

since then robbie keane has scored around 4x as many goals as owen and we would of had 8 million spare + the extra wages on strengthening another part of the squad

to me michael owen is the worst signing in the clubs history and the sooner he leave's the sooner the club can move forward

Turning down Keane was a mistake but 4x as many goals? He hasn't even scored twice as many.  49 league goals for Keane (since Owen joined) 26 for Owen.

Can't really blame Souness for Owen when he didn't want him, Anelka for the same price we sold Bellamy for would have been an adequate replacement.

we turned down robbie keane for 8 million because souness said he wasn't a proper footballer

since then robbie keane has scored around 4x as many goals as owen and we would of had 8 million spare + the extra wages on strengthening another part of the squad

to me michael owen is the worst signing in the clubs history and the sooner he leave's the sooner the club can move forward

When did we turn down Robbie Keane? Not doubting you I just don't actually remember.

Pretty sure Roeder had a shot at him at about £4m. Think that was the case anyway cos i specifically remember being royally pissed off that Roeder had "turned down Campbell and Keane" that summer. We ended up, of course, with Olivier Bernard as our only defensive import.

Say what you want about the Owen purchase but buying him is buying guaranteed goals.

It's also guaranteed injuries, with his history of strains, sprains and brittle bones.

I believe his goal away at Birmingham last season was our turning point to survival personally and I'd pay it all again if he can bag enough goals to keep us up this year.

Did anyone else have an encompassing feeling that it was too good to be true, even when we'd just signed him? :undecided:

It's unbelievable, and i forget sometimes, that he played nine games for us - then spent the next one and a half years injured.

I even sometimes struggle to comprehend that Michael Owen is actually a Newcastle player, and it's been a 'reality' for four years. I've just got no affiliation for the bloke. Undeniable quality, with a thoroughly shite injury record, and we'll his erratic bursts of goals that come around now and again when he's fit... but i don't think i'll feel anything when he does go.

His departure has felt like an inevitability from the moment he held his kid infront of the Leazes, with a forced smile on his face.

Guest neesy111

guranteed goals, take out the penalty's this season his goal record is very very average

he's not scored against a top 4 club since he's been at the club ffs

guranteed goals, take out the penalty's this season his goal record is very very average

he's not scored against a top 4 club since he's been at the club ffs

How many has he played against? And in how many of those games was he fully fit?

I'm not being an Owen apologist here but fuck me you'll all be singing his praises if he scores 6 goals between now and the end of the season.

Incidentally, do you think he's happy with how his career has panned out? From best player in Europe to endless injuries, a club unlikely to achieve anything in his career and out of the England squad?

A real shame if you ask me.

Now, Viduka on the other hand..........

Still better value than Luque. For better or worse, under the Ashley regime the days of buying the likes of Owen and paying those sort of wages are over.

as will the days of top flight football

for better or worse, as you say

In the long run healthy financial status is way much important than big money buys! Fat Fred is one of the main reasons why we're fighting against the relegation every season now and the current global financial crisis haven't helped us one bit.

No, the reason we're fighting relegation is because of this current regime. They have had 4 transfer windows to improve us and are now on their 3rd manager who they have driven to another triple heart bypass.

We may have been on the edge near the end of the last board, but it's this one that's deciding to push us over the edge.

pathetic. point scoring to the extreme.

Fine, take that part out but the point still stands. If we get relegated you can hardly blame it on the old regime. To do so would be stupid.

There are a multitude of reasons why we're fighting relegation.  A lot of those reasons lie with the new board, but possibly even more of them with the old one.

I still wish we'd have signed Anelka instead of Owen as do most. However him under Souness would have been a nightmare.

Was it Luque or Owen signed instead of Anelka? If it was Luque then :angry:

Imo, we could have got Owen for cheaper. Madrid only bought him got around 8 or 9m! He was surplus to requirements and I'd say if we had clever people running the club he couldve been ours for around 13 or 14m.

Summer 2004, 4 point between us. We got Rafa, you got Souness.

Blame the World's Worst Manager and the idiots that hired him despite his constant, repeated failure.

:weep:

Guest Heneage

Blame the World's Worst Manager and the idiots that hired him despite his constant, repeated failure.

Harsh on Rafa like.

I still wish we'd have signed Anelka instead of Owen as do most. However him under Souness would have been a nightmare.

Imo, we could have got Owen for cheaper. Madrid only bought him got around 8 or 9m! He was surplus to requirements and I'd say if we had clever people running the club he couldve been ours for around 13 or 14m.

real only got him for that price as he was coming to the last year on his contract

more down to injury than anything else,most of which could hardly have been foresaw.

most of the dislike for owen comes from the fact we weren't his first choice....well heres news for you. NONE of our present squad would be here had man utd,chelsea or arsenal came a calling when they signed for us.

...which is why it's better to sign players who are hungry and on their way up, rather than players who see us as a step down but don't have any better alternatives at the time.

should have never brought him,  we had bellamy at the time we farmed him out to celtic and then wasted 16 million this chap,  all the whilst we needed strengthening in defence.  oh yeah we got boumsong.  up yours Souey, worst manager ever who had the best squad we ever had.

We'd already sold Bellamy by the time Owen came in, and he went to Blackburn after he'd been at Celtic. Plus Owen was a replacement for Shearer not Bellamy.

Owen was only a replacement for Shearer in Shepherd's eyes, i.e., one big name for another. On the pitch Owen is a totally different type of player, more suited to replacing a Bellamy type.

Guest neesy111

i'm sure owen was bellamy's replacement

luque was robert's replacement

both turned out into shocking signings and provided us with nothing compared to their replacements

i'm sure owen was bellamy's replacement

luque was robert's replacement

both turned out into shocking signings and provided us with nothing compared to their replacements

Owen certainly wasn't Bellamy's replacement.