The Newcastle United Transfer Thread MkII

Kaizero

I like Commons (since managing Nottm Forest on FM07 and 08) but I'm not sure if he is the right player for us, considering he's only had one decent season in a poor Derby team. Would be good if/when we go down though. Not a Prem player IMO

I don't think i've ever cared less about a prospective transfer window. It really is utterly pointless when you consider the situation. No one wants to come here, we don't want to spend any money, Joe Kinnear is selecting potential transfers. That Commons link epitomises the whole thing, and i can see us making such a move. I think it's pretty clear that, as things stand, we'll adopt the Sunderland school of thought when it comes to transfers - sign average-to-good Championship players in an attempt to consolidate survival.

And that's if we stay up...

In which case, i hope to fuck that Wise and his recruitment team stays active, because it's what could save the club when you consider the exodus of players if we were to go down. We'll have no one 'high-profile' left, and a squad of talented, hungry youngsters could save us from total, total obscurity.

I like Commons (since managing Nottm Forest on FM07 and 08) but I'm not sure if he is the right player for us, considering he's only had one decent season in a poor Derby team. Would be good if/when we go down though. Not a Prem player IMO

He's a good Championship player...if you know what I mean

Tuesday night saw Newcastle first team coach Colin Calderwood reportedly present at the meeting of two of his former clubs, Northampton and Swindon.

And it's claimed that the focus of his interest was Swindon's in-form striker Simon Cox - who didn't fail to disappoint as he grabbed a hat trick in a 4-3 victory.

21 year-old Cox began his career as a youngster with his hometown club Reading, making a handful of first team sub appearance for the Royals before being loaned out to Brentford, Northampton and Swindon.

Moving to the County Ground in January 2008, Cox has come to prominence this season with 27 goals, seven of which have come in his last three appearances.

Cox was a team mate of United defender Ben Tozer at Swindon, while current toon striker Nile Ranger also had a brief period on trial at the club before joining us last summer.

Newcastle & Everton on £6m alert as playmaker hints at move

Everton and Newcastle have been put on alert as Tom Huddlestone has hinted that his future may lie away from WHL.

The versatile Spurs star who is equally adept at playing in central defence or in midfield has seen his first team chances in North London limited with only 10 starts to his name this season.

The January arrival of Wilson Palacios has done little to help the 22-year-old cause and despite being among the matchday squad every week the lack of playing minutes is starting to get to Huddlestone, who only signed a new 5yr deal in the summer.

Speaking to Setanta Huddlestone said: "I want to fight for my place but I think the last game I played for Tottenham was in the reserves, and I didn't go there to play in the reserves.

"So it's a case of seeing what happens between now and the end of the season.

"It's difficult to say what the future might hold, maybe the manager will bring in a few new players this summer and he might have to get rid of a few players."

Huddlestone who was heavily linked with a £6m move to Newcastle in the last January window was on David Moyes' radar last summer; however a move failed to materialise due to the player agreeing a new deal at WHL. With Huddlestone openly admitting that his time at Spurs could well be up it remains to be seen whether the Scot will look to join Newcastle in the pursuit of the talented playmaker.

Hmmm, us or Everton?

Guest timmy boy

We need some one who is quick and athletic  in the centre of the park who can get up and down for 90 minutes and add some much needed pace in our team, Huddlestone is a good passer but he wouldn't  beat Butt in a 100 meter sprint.

Alex Bruce (Steves Son) hasnt accepted his contract offer at Ipswich. He has been there best defender for a few years now and has promise. He is also playing for the Republic of Ireland. If next season we appear to be still watching what we spend I think he would be a good signing.

Hull City's Michael Turner is reportedly on Newcastle United's summer shopping list, with the Magpies ready to make a bid for the central defender.

Turner has been in fine form for the Tigers this season and it is thought that Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear is keen to sign him.

The Magpies will be looking to strengthen their back four in the summer, if they are not relegated, and have identified a few targets who they feel will be best suited to the club. Turner reportedly tops that list.

Turner's Hull City team-mate Kevin Kilbane believes the 25-year-old defender has been a massive player for the club this term.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Kilbane said, "He's developing all the time. You sometimes never know, until you make the step up to the Premier League, how players are going to react.

"But he seems to have adapted to the step up well. Nothing has fazed him this year. He certainly looks like a very good Premier League footballer."

The former Brentford man, who spent some time with Inter as part of link-up program set up by his former club Charlton Athletic, is thought to be valued at around £5 million.

Nick Turner, Goal.com

http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/2009/03/28/1180030/newcastle-united-show-interest-in-hull-citys-michael-turner

We need some one who is quick and athletic  in the centre of the park who can get up and down for 90 minutes and add some much needed pace in our team, Huddlestone is a good passer but he wouldn't  beat Butt in a 100 meter sprint.

Mark Noble.

Arsenal are on the trail of French midfield prospect Sambou Yatabare.

The 6ft 3ins Caen starlet, 20, has made a big impression in his debut season for the Ligue 1 side and has also caught the eye of Everton and Newcastle.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has now sent his Francebased scout Gilles Grimandi to watch the midfielder.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=hotline-robb-in-the-frame&method=full&objectid=21236946&siteid=93463-name_page.html

Artur Boruc set to sign to Newcastle United

Newcastle are on the verge of a £4million summer swoop for Celtic keeper Artur Boruc.

Struggling United see the controversial Pole as a longterm replacement for Shay Given, who moved to Manchester City in January.

Boruc has been beset by problems this season and conceded a shocking goal, letting a back pass slip under his foot in last night's WorldCup3-2 qualifying defeat to Northern Ireland.

But according to senior sources in the Polish camp he'll sign for Toon in June.

TheCeltic hero was one of the players of Euro 2008, and the Magpies have been monitoring him for months - as Sunday Mirror Sport revealed in January.

Any move is likely to be reliantonNewcastle avoiding relegation, however.

Boruc's day had started badly in Belfast, with threatening graffiti being removed froma wall outside Windsor Park before kick-off.

TheCeltickeeper is a hate figure with some Belfastbased Rangers fans after a string of incidents in Old Firm games.

Another keeper

I don't really think we need to buy a keeper this summer. Harper is a more than adequate first choice, Krul/Forster (on the evidence of what we have seen) seem fine as benchwarmers, and the odd cup game will do them no harm. It's in January or the following summer when we've realised that they're both naff and that Harper is nearly 70 that we need to get a new keeper.