Ashley has no one else to blame if we go down

TRon

Newcastle's interim manager Joe Kinnear, who is recovering from a triple heart bypass operation, insists he still has a future at the troubled club. (The Sun)

Executive director of football Dennis Wise is set to leave Newcastle in a summer shake-up at St James' Park. (Daily Mirror)

Up to 11 of Newcastle's top earners will be axed from the club, including Michael Owen, Joey Barton and Damien Duff, if the Magpies are relegated this season. (Daily Mirror)

Well it looks like Joe isn't going to be back to "steady the ship" as a full time manager any time soon, but the report does say that a "credible" manager has been sounded out to step into the breach.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/30/newcastleunited-mike-ashley

If it's not Venables then who could it be? My money's on Curbishley.

The "credible manager" lined up seems to be Steve Bruce which would mean that it's an appointment that won't take place till next season by which time we might already be in the  Championship. That would explain partly why Ashley has been so reluctuant to hire a fire fighter short term.

But that's the bit I don't get - fine, if we've got Bruce lined up for the summer, I'd take that. But that doesn't mean we couldn't get in Venables or someone like that on a really short-term basis with the promise of a big bonus if we're kept up?

Or should we just stump up the £3m compen to Wigan and have Bruce now??

Well it looks like Joe isn't going to be back to "steady the ship" as a full time manager any time soon, but the report does say that a "credible" manager has been sounded out to step into the breach.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/30/newcastleunited-mike-ashley

If it's not Venables then who could it be? My money's on Curbishley.

The "credible manager" lined up seems to be Steve Bruce which would mean that it's an appointment that won't take place till next season by which time we might already be in the  Championship. That would explain partly why Ashley has been so reluctuant to hire a fire fighter short term.

But that's the bit I don't get - fine, if we've got Bruce lined up for the summer, I'd take that. But that doesn't mean we couldn't get in Venables or someone like that on a really short-term basis with the promise of a big bonus if we're kept up?

Or should we just stump up the £3m compen to Wigan and have Bruce now??

if they thought kinnear was a credible manager then my money is going on tommy cassidy.

if they thought kinnear was a credible manager then my money is going on tommy cassidy.

Wait a minute.... what's Jack Charlton up to these days?

IT's alright I saw Jim Smith talking to Llambias in Shearer's this morning, they went for Brian Clough after watching the film but then realised that wouldn't be feasible.

Well no one thought that Shearer was the "credible" manager reported earlier in the week.

I give Ashley a lot of credit for eventually realising the danger we are in, and getting one of the two people in the world to give the team, the fans and the region the lift we need to get ourselves out of the relegation zone.

For all the amount of insane bs mike ashley has managed this season, who would have thought we'd see Keegan & Shearer back managing the club in the same season ?

:lol: Amazing.

If someone had told me, like on January 1st 08 (still with Allahdyce)... that'd we'd have see Keegan, Hughton, Joe Kinnear and Alan Shearer managing the club - in a period of less than 18 months... i honestly don't know what i'd have done. :lol:

So if Shearer keeps us up is everyone gona forget about everything that has happened this season and forgive Ashley?

Come now, have we now gotten to the point where we strawman people before they've even opened their mouths? :lol:

So if Shearer keeps us up is everyone gona forget about everything that has happened this season and forgive Ashley?

I'm still pissed about January. He's a fuckup but he probably got this one right. If this goes bad, then that's it.

I'm not saying forgive, but I do think that the club will move forward this summer once we secure survival.

Removing the likes of Geremi, Cacapa, Viduka, Owen (potentially now..), even Given will give the club so much more room for adding to the playing staff.

We'd miss one and half of them and their wages would cover 7 or eight new player wages easily.

I'm definitely cooling towards Ashley but I do hold the belief that this painful season was a painful necessisty to get us to a position where we can start again

I'm not saying forgive, but I do think that the club will move forward this summer once we secure survival.

Removing the likes of Geremi, Cacapa, Viduka, Owen (potentially now..), even Given will give the club so much more room for adding to the playing staff.

We'd miss one and half of them and their wages would cover 7 or eight new player wages easily.

I'm definitely cooling towards Ashley but I do hold the belief that this painful season was a painful necessisty to get us to a position where we can start again

I believe Given would still be our player,if Ashley had done this weeks ago.

I don't see how us losing Given was a step forward.

Hence we'll miss the one and a half (Owen obviously being half).

It goes without saying that Given is a better keeper then any of Harper, Krul, Forster but... If selling Given leads us to having available wages to sign a proper midfielder then the team as a whole would be better.

It goes without saying that Given is a better keeper then any of Harper, Krul, Forster but... If selling Given leads us to having available wages to sign a proper midfielder then the team as a whole would be better.

Getting Man City to pay us the fee may also help mind.

I did say that I give Ashley credit for this one decision.

Turn your mind back 24 hours ago and remember how you felt then with no hope of staving off relegation to how you now feel.

Ashley has made a lot of mistakes, but I know he's got this one right even if the worst happens.

I did say that I give Ashley credit for this one decision.

Turn your mind back 24 hours ago and remember how you felt then with no hope of staving off relegation to how you now feel.

Ashley has made a lot of mistakes, but I know he's got this one right even if the worst happens.

Agreed. Ashley has rightly taken the flak for the disastrous handling of the management situation, I could forgive him for just about anything else in the interests of getting the club stabilised financially. I think this is an inspired appointment even if it's only short term. I wouldn't expect people who aren't Newcastle supporters to understand but it just feels right.

yes mate, but Newcastle shouldn't be thinking of such cost cutting. At the end of the day, as tooj says, selling Given - or creating the situation where he wanted to go to be more precise - is never a step forward. Its a huge step backwards and has sent out a bad message to the footballing world.

Guest optimistic nit

yes mate, but Newcastle shouldn't be thinking of such cost cutting. At the end of the day, as tooj says, selling Given - or creating the situation where he wanted to go to be more precise - is never a step forward. Its a huge step backwards and has sent out a bad message to the footballing world.

:lol: why shouldn't we be thinking of such cost cutting? are we a special case to the rest of the league?