Last 8 games...

Guest stjamestoon

heres the thing. everyone slates fulhams away form,  but they only have 1 less point than us away from home (not that ours is good mind). they have 1 win and 7 draws, as they are very difficult to score against. it will be a very difficult game.

When we played them at our place, they "parked the bus" from minute one, and were timewasting within 30 minutes.

I like Hodgson, and I like Fulham, but they were wretched to watch.

Still, I guess he is doing his job, keeping them up.

Guest Ebolarama

heres the thing. everyone slates fulhams away form,  but they only have 1 less point than us away from home (not that ours is good mind). they have 1 win and 7 draws, as they are very difficult to score against. it will be a very difficult game.

When we played them at our place, they "parked the bus" from minute one, and were timewasting within 30 minutes.

I like Hodgson, and I like Fulham, but they were wretched to watch.

Still, I guess he is doing his job, keeping them up.

Keeping them up pretty decently compared to us. It would never happen in a million years (why would he ever want to?), but having Hodgson in charge here right now would be superb.

agree with brummie, but on the other hand, they did win 1 game quite convincingly at bolton, and at home they do play some very good football (see man united 2-0). we will find them difficult to turn over at SJP i think, we'll probably do our usual trick of beating the likes of spurs and chelsea and fucking up to stoke and portsmouth.

At this stage of the season, you really want to be playing teams with nothing to play for. Unfortunately the bulk of the games left are against teams with plenty to play for. Fulham, perhaps Spurs, and possibly Villa, may represent our best chances, although the key games are those against our fellow strugglers, if we lose any of those or fail to take at least 9pts from them, it's curtains.

if we can repeat the efforts of the first half against Arsenal and Man Utd then we'll take the 3points against any of our post-Chelsea home games

Have you forgotten the Hull game?

'If we play like that...' holds no water whatsoever.

for me it's all down to early goals in our home games now against the weaker teams...score early vs pompey, fulham & 'boro and we'll beat them, the longer those games stay evens we're fucked

stating the obvious but for a team as shambolic as us confidence is everything

also i think it'll all end up coming down to individuals producing something from nothing, maybe martins or jonas, a taylor free kick that kind of thing...well constructed passing moves look like being a thing of the past to me

Guest rosstoon

I think we  will scrape it and its just cos we have the likes of Pompey, Fulham and Boro all at home. I also have a sneaky feeling that we will get summit out of the Chealsea game as their attentions will now focus on Champions league after Spurs defeat and with Anelka, Deco, Cole all missing it gives us a bigger chance of getting summit. If we do stay p we can never let us get back in the predicament again.

I think we  will scrape it and its just cos we have the likes of Pompey, Fulham and Boro all at home. I also have a sneaky feeling that we will get summit out of the Chealsea game as their attentions will now focus on Champions league after Spurs defeat and with Anelka, Deco, Cole all missing it gives us a bigger chance of getting summit. If we do stay p we can never let us get back in the predicament again.

Glad Deco is out as whilst he hasn't been great this season he'd have a field day as he'd never get closed down by our geriatric midfield.

Guest nufc_geordie

Just looking at our last 8 fixtures..and am struggling to see where a win is going to come from. We NEED to get something out of the Stoke and Boro games to stay up. I cant see us getting anything out of Chelsea or Liverpool, and Spurs and Villa away are two toughies!

Was just thinking, if we do go down, i know everyone is saying its going to be the end of us, financial meltdown etc. Part of me agrees, and obviously it will be terrible for the club if we go down, but say we go down and come back up again within the first season, the fact that we will have to use hungry youth players, and up and coming players who want to play for the team might not be a bad thing. The club needs scrapping and starting again. The likes of Butt, Duff, Smith, Geremi etc are basically has beens. Maybe "starting again" may, in the long term be what is needed to change Newcastle United.

Just a thought. No doubt i will get responses along the lines of "it will be bad for us, full stop". Obviously it will, but that isnt the point im making.

I agree whole heartedly with that mate but it is totally dependent on the money grabbers leaving. I fully expect that they don't have relegation pay decrease clauses in their contracts and as the likes of Butt, Geremi etc are at the end of their careers we are struck with them.

Sorry to go on about it but the Spuds are unbeatable in your opinion?  In my opinion we have 5 winnable games (and no before anyone says it that doesn't mean I think we're likely to win them, just that we should if we're to stay in this league), with Stoke being the most difficult of them.

West Brom are probably down, and if we beat the smoggies it will probably signal they are as well. So our last 3 home games and the game against Stoke will probably decide if we stay up or go down. Bearing in mind the points we've already dropped at home to lowly teams like ourselves, we have no reason to think we will win even 2 or 3 of these 4 games.

sick of all this 'if we play like we did against' shite

Man U and Arsenal play football and are happy to give us space because they know they can beat us 10 times out of 10. It means absolutely fuck all against Stoke and Portsmouth

sick of all this 'if we play like we did against' shite

Man U and Arsenal play football and are happy to give us space because they know they can beat us 10 times out of 10. It means absolutely fuck all against Stoke and Portsmouth

That's besides the point. The players clearly raise their game for the bigger clubs, regardless of the space they get.

sick of all this 'if we play like we did against' s****

Man U and Arsenal play football and are happy to give us space because they know they can beat us 10 times out of 10. It means absolutely f*** all against Stoke and Portsmouth

That's besides the point. The players clearly raise their game for the bigger clubs, regardless of the space they get.

who?

I think you'll stay up at the expense of Sunderland and Boro. They are in as much trouble and playing at SJP will make a massive difference. I know there is the potential for the crowd to get on the players' backs but against mediocre teams like Middlesbro & Fulham, if you get an early goal you'll win at a canter. Barton coming back could be crucial.

Looking at [edit] the teams from [edit] Bolton down in the next two games, if West Brom lose both, all games against the "Big Four" are lost and all other games are home wins the table would look like this:

Stoke 38

Bolton 37

Hull 36

Portsmouth 35 (with a game in hand)

Blackburn 34

Sunderland 32

Middlesboro 30

Newcastle 29

West Brom 24

I know that looks scary but Boro will still have to go to SJP and both Middlesbro & Sunderland have a horrible-looking last four games. I think they'll both go down.

• 2 weeks later...

just doen the predictor thing, had us drawing at stoke, losing at spuds, liverpool and villa, and beating fulham, boro and pompey at home.

got us to 15th.

west brom, boro and sunderland to go.

i tell you what, the mackems havnt got an easy run in like.

Sunderland cant put the ball in the back of the net, which is what some idiots on here choose to ignore

We've only got seven more goals scored. 10 more conceded. -12 for them, -15 for us. That disallowed goal was massive.

I think Sunderland are our best hope of avoiding relegation, or maybe Hull if they continue to drop in form. For us it's a big ask to win 3 games from somewhere but I still think we have better players to throw into the mix than a lot of other clubs fighting relegation. We have to find the right combination like Keegan did with the 4-3-3 but time is running out.