Ireland Internationals

Decky

Incidentally, I find a bit rich to hear the likes of Henry, Wenger, etc... saying that a replay should be awarded when they are pretty aware there's a bigger chance of me screwing Jessica Biel than of that happening.

It would be ace if FIFA came out and said "Well, since Henry said it..."

Guest Stephen927

Incidentally, I find a bit rich to hear the likes of Henry, Wenger, etc... saying that a replay should be awarded when they are pretty aware there's a bigger chance of me screwing Jessica Biel than of that happening.

Bit of an empty statement really, he's just trying to repair the damage he's caused for his reputation with sponsors etc etc.

Bit of an empty statement really, he's just trying to repair the damage he's caused for his reputation with sponsors etc etc.

I know, if there was really a chance of FIFA awarding a replay they would keep their mouths perfectly shut.

On a funny side, my French friends here in New York are now afraid to go to Irish pubs, they are so cute  :lol:

Guest toonlass

I know, if there was really a chance of FIFA awarding a replay they would keep their mouths perfectly shut.

On a funny side, my French friends here in New York are now afraid to go to Irish pubs, they are so cute  :lol:

Why? There will not be a single Irish person in there.

Why? There will not be a single Irish person in there.

Exactly  :lol:

Last time I was in one of those I met this "Irish" guy, he was there singing songs and yelling stuff in what I assume was Irish although it sounded he just ripped it off from the elves in Lord of the Rings. Ended up the guy was born in Illinois and all the irishness in him was from his grandmother.

Must say I find the level of complaints from Irish people in general to be over the top, the campaign to get the game replayed is absolutely embarrassing.

It was a shit refereeing decision after an act of cheating from an opposition player. It's not anything remarkeable that doesn't happen in several big games a year worldwide.

Yes it sucks and I feel we were cheated, but this kind of thing happens.

People have turned into such pussies, take it on the chin and move on FFS.

What a load of over hyped nonsense.

I have sympathy for Henry. Sticking your arm out the way he did is a natural reaction to most, it's up to the officials to spot it. So when I read Oliver Holt claiming Henry's reputation is in tatters I just shake my head in disbelief. It's not like he's the first player to con the ref in a high profile game. Off the top of my head Muller, Maradona and (not in the same bracket) now Ronaldo are all guilty of it yet I don't see anyone doubting their reputation, why? Because they're damn good players, it's undeniable. A moment of petulance isn't going erase so many memories of brilliance.

It could be claimed Ireland were cheated out of the world cup but certainly not by Henry. Taking a look at the game itself for a minute they plenty of chances to put the game to bed and I agree with Keane when he says the defending for the incident was shocking, they were asking for trouble. People (mainly the press) seem to have lost perspective, Ireland weren’t in a winning position, what they had was a 50-50 crack at the world cup in a penalty shootout, there was no guarantee they were going to come out on top.

The biggest thing to come out of this for me is FIFA's absolute denial of common sense by refusing to even give technology a go. By the time Given ran over to the ref, had a moan and a sulk, a bloke stood on the touchline could of had a quick look at a TV monitor and could of communicated the incident in a matter of seconds. The whole “oh it would slow the game down” is an absolute crock when you consider how many stoppages we have due to players going down right, left and center.

Also how is it a ref involved in two particularly high profile incidents, including awarding a penalty for a challenge that didn’t occur and failing to allow a goal when the ball blatantly crossed the line, allowed to officiate at this level so soon. And although it was neither the linesman nor the ref who covered themselves in glory for the incident it still has to be asked why this particular referee was selected for such a high stakes game in the first place?

On a wider scale it’s also an absolute travesty how FIFA seeded the play-offs in the eleventh hour to ensure Slovenia, Bosnia, Ukraine and Ireland would have the most difficult task possible. They always were a bunch of dodgy bastards and their brown nosing of the larger nations particularly on this occasion was a disgrace. 

Ireland was unfortunate but for me the issue isn’t with Henry or even the officials. It’s with a governing body that is stuck in the stone age, denying the common sense move of giving technology a chance and placing as many obstacles as possible in front of the smaller nations in order to prevent them qualifying, Can’t say I expected anything different, bastards.

The biggest thing to come out of this for me is FIFA's absolute denial of common sense by refusing to even give technology a go.

On a wider scale it’s also an absolute travesty how FIFA seeded the play-offs in the eleventh hour to ensure Slovenia, Bosnia, Ukraine and Ireland would have the most difficult task possible. They always were a bunch of dodgy bastards and their brown nosing of the larger nations particularly on this occasion was a disgrace. 

Spot on.  FIFA is as corrupt as they come.  They need a new team in charge with fresh ideas.  Dodgy bastards is way too polite.  I'd love to see some new federation set up take them on, but there is more chance of Ashley appointing Shearer as manager.  It just isn't worth moaning about, FIFA listen to the fans about as much as that other cnut Ashley.

To be honest, with Keane I think it's his last attempt at a kick in the teeth at the IFA. 'Leading' another team to oblivion doesn't sit well with him so he'll have a go before his last 'meaningful' contribution to football is over. Good Footballer. Shit Person. Worse Coach.  Like Alex Ferguson without the class. :coolsmiley: