Shearergol

Recent pictures?

moments ago.

David Craig in conversation with the studio - "Mike Ashley isn't a fool...."

hahahahaahahahahahahahaha so so wrong!

:lol:

FAIL

I'd bring in Gary Speed

Still baffled by the appointment of Dowie mind.

I'm OK with Butt to remain.

dowie has experince in management, especially at championship level and is a good foil for shearer imo.

plus, he is a very good coach by all accounts.

what would you base speed's coaching credentials on?

not having a go, just wondering why people want him in?

(for the record i have said the same, and im not sure as to why!)

Guest Heneage

I'd bring in Gary Speed

Speed to coach Butt and or Guthrie on how to be an all round midfielder.

Didn't Shearer say recently (in effect) that he was shocked by the lack of professionalism on the club?  If so, even if Butt isn't up to it anymore, it has to help to have someone like him on the squad.  If there's a dearth of players who do it the right way it makes sense to have a few around who it the right way to help set an example for the younger players.  He doesn't have to play a whole lot, he just needs to practice well.

Guest MrSundlofer

SSN live outside the training ground now.  Shown pictures of Dowie driving in with Shearer, and Llambiarse in the car park.

Ian Dowie is probably a part of the future plans then. Would like him to stay as a coach.

The fact he wants to keep Butt scares me.

Firstly, its not a fact, and secondly, we could do a lot worse than keeping a seasoned pro next year for our promotion push (just hopefully he wont be a starter).

His wages should reflect this then - which I think they wouldn't...

I'd bring in Gary Speed

I'd like to see him coach either of them how to have new legs.

Didn't Shearer say recently (in effect) that he was shocked by the lack of professionalism on the club?  If so, even if Butt isn't up to it anymore, it has to help to have someone like him on the squad.  If there's a dearth of players who do it the right way it makes sense to have a few around who it the right way to help set an example for the younger players.  He doesn't have to play a whole lot, he just needs to practice well.

That's a fair comment. I know for a fact that the club are fully aware of his inability to play full seasons any more. Yes, ITK-tastic on that one.

I'd bring in Gary Speed

Guthrie's got legs, he just doesn't have any balls. He is one of those who hides in some games for me. He'll have to make an impression next season coz if he can't cut it in the Championship he's a waste of space.

Guest Heneage

I'd bring in Gary Speed

Guthrie seems to have decent engine along with Nolan there's potential for a good midfield.

Didn't Shearer say recently (in effect) that he was shocked by the lack of professionalism on the club?  If so, even if Butt isn't up to it anymore, it has to help to have someone like him on the squad.  If there's a dearth of players who do it the right way it makes sense to have a few around who it the right way to help set an example for the younger players.  He doesn't have to play a whole lot, he just needs to practice well.

That's a fair comment. I know for a fact that the club are fully aware of his inability to play full seasons any more. Yes, ITK-tastic on that one.

Sounds ok to me.

He said it himself in January.  That the toll of having to play each week was getting too much and he's like to share the burden.  It's criminal that he was in a position where he had to play every game of our run in.  Wasn't particularly fair on him either imo

I'd bring in Gary Speed

Guthrie's got legs, he just doesn't have any balls. He is one of those who hides in some games for me. He'll have to make an impression next season coz if he can't cut it in the Championship he's a waste of space.

I disagree; for me he's one of the few we have who is willing to move into space and receive the ball - I think you can see his Liverpool heritage. If he was quicker he'd be a real asset. We just need to know how and where to play him.

I'd bring in Gary Speed

I disgaree with all of that. I don't think he has an engine on him as he fades a lot in games, but he always shows and wants the ball.

I'd bring in Gary Speed

I disgaree with all of that. I don't think he has an engine on him as he fades a lot in games, but he always shows and wants the ball.

He never gets beyond the forwards though, and if you are playing with a DM like Butt it's important you get into goal scoring positions now and then. It's easy to show for the ball in the centre circle, it takes a bit of drive to get in where it hurts.

Having watched the Fulham game live it was firghtening to see how slow Butt was to get back into position in front of the back four. It really stands out in a live game, and this is what is most worrying to me.

We absolutely need someone who can really get around the pitch and break things up to make life easier for the back four. Someone like Reo-Coker would be ideal but he won't step down into the championship I don't think.

Nicky should only be kept as an experienced pro in the dressing room who can serve as a backup when injuries or suspensions occur.

I'd bring in Gary Speed

dowie has experince in management, especially at championship level and is a good foil for shearer imo.

Coaching is something that can be taught, it's the leadership (and less so managment) that requires natural skill. All three mentioned there have natural leadership qualities (less so dowie IMO). I think Speed would make an excelllent coach, alongside the players, complementing Shearer's management and Dowie's coaching.

In fact why not give Speed a player/coach role?

I'd bring in Gary Speed

Coaching is something that can be taught, it's the leadership (and less so managment) that requires natural skill. All three mentioned there have natural leadership qualities (less so dowie IMO). I think Speed would make an excelllent coach, alongside the players, complementing Shearer's management and Dowie's coaching.

Central pairing of Butt and Speed :dowie:

I'd bring in Gary Speed

He never gets beyond the forwards though, and if you are playing with a DM like Butt it's important you get into goal scoring positions now and then. It's easy to show for the ball in the centre circle, it takes a bit of drive to get in where it hurts.

Maybe that's not his game though? I'd like to see him in the holding role actually.

I'd bring in Gary Speed

Central pairing of Butt and Speed :dowie:

Set myself up for that fall.

Why does everyone think Speed would be a good coach? He was a model pro and an excellent player but that doesn't necessarily translate.

Would smack a little of 'jobs for the boys' too.