Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Interesting article,

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/matthew_syed/article6367739.ece

Can see where he is trying to come from but for the most part its un-educated bullshit. We have tried it before and

people with "no ties" to the club have failed miserably trying to do it their way ie Allardyce/Souness/Gullit. There needs to be a happy medium.

Having both Dowie and potentially Carver around him makes up for the inexperience he has, I wouldnt rule out Al bringing in another older head like the mooted appointment of Daglish to DOF (although thats not happening).

I certainly wouldnt shed tears if we dont end up with Shearer. There are plenty of other managers that will want the job, the downside is we will be in alot of trouble by that point.

If Shearer says no, expect the mong nation to tear the city apart demanding Ashley leave. We would struggle to find a new buyer, probably reinstate kinnear in the interim, sale probably wouldnt happen til the back end of the summer by which stage we will have about 3 players left.

It's not particularly well written, but he does make some very valid points and it's certainly an alternative opinion to that of the masses.

That said I think Shearer will be the best appointment in the current circumstances - but he'll have to learn very quickly.

Syed's done spiteful pieces on us before. I'd love to know what the f*** makes him believe anyone gives a toss about what he thinks about this club.

I highly regard the opinions of all retired shit ping pong players. 

Say what you want about Ashley but another takeover is the last thing we need now.

Ashley (on the surface at least) seems to have learned from his mistakes but the new guys may make the same ones.

Better the devil you know IMO, at least we'll have stability.

Say what you want about Ashley but another takeover is the last thing we need now.

Ashley (on the surface at least) seems to have learned from his mistakes but the new guys may make the same ones.

What if its Shepherd?

Interesting article,

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/matthew_syed/article6367739.ece

Can see where he is trying to come from but for the most part its un-educated bullshit. We have tried it before and

people with "no ties" to the club have failed miserably trying to do it their way ie Allardyce/Souness/Gullit. There needs to be a happy medium.

Having both Dowie and potentially Carver around him makes up for the inexperience he has, I wouldnt rule out Al bringing in another older head like the mooted appointment of Daglish to DOF (although thats not happening).

I certainly wouldnt shed tears if we dont end up with Shearer. There are plenty of other managers that will want the job, the downside is we will be in alot of trouble by that point.

If Shearer says no, expect the mong nation to tear the city apart demanding Ashley leave. We would struggle to find a new buyer, probably reinstate kinnear in the interim, sale probably wouldnt happen til the back end of the summer by which stage we will have about 3 players left.

It's not particularly well written, but he does make some very valid points and it's certainly an alternative opinion to that of the masses.

That said I think Shearer will be the best appointment in the current circumstances - but he'll have to learn very quickly.

His valid points unfortunately get lost in the usual sea of clichés and irony. Clearly knows nothing about the club and the area, so I don't know why he feels able to comment on the situation.

Still, we're talking about it and clicking on the website so job done.

I think Shearer will do a lot of things right at the club and restore some dignity and pride.  I think he will advise Ashley and co. on many different things outside of the normal manager's role because there seems to be a lack of knowledge within the board room.

Most importantly, whether Shearer will be a good manager is another thing.  How good will he be with budgets, identifying good players with a good mentality, moulding together a good team, tactics, man management?  Time will tell but I am hopeful that he will become a good manager.  There seems to be a lot of good experienced people within the game who have a huge respect for him and on whom he can call on for advice.  For some reason, I don't see him in the same category as Ince, Adams, Southgate etc - I think he has a bit more about him - more self-belief, confidence, authority, humility, gravitas, intelligence.

I do think that at the very least, we need this monkey off our back.  Shearer needs to be given the chance now - if he is successful - brilliant but if not, then we know that his shadow will no longer be hanging over future managers.

Quoted from www.skysports.com

Sky Sports News understands that the investment bank representing Mike Ashley is in talks with an unnamed consortium regarding a possible takeover of Newcastle United.

Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, is believed to have travelled to the North East on Tuesday to hold talks with an anonymous group that is interested in buying the relegated Premier League club.

Harris was appointed to sell the Magpies last September as owner Ashley unsuccessfully looked for a way out in the wake of a backlash from fans, who had been angered by the departure of former manager Kevin Keegan.

A number of parties showed an interest in the Tyneside outfit, but a deal was not struck and Ashley ended his attempts to sell his ownership.

However, in the wake of the club's fall into the Championship, the millionaire businessman is again looking to end his association with Newcastle, and talks are reported to be ongoing.

Meanwhile, boss Alan Shearer returned to Newcastle's Darsley Park training ground early on Wednesday morning to continue discussions with managing director Derek Llambias.

The former Magpies and England captain returned to his hometown team on a temporary eight-game basis at the beginning of April, but both parties are thought to be keen to extend the deal.

Shearer has not held back in his criticism of Newcastle's infrastructure in the wake of relegation, and he is considered to be the man to help regain a place in the top flight.

The one thing that concerns me is that Shearer left the meeting yesterday without coming to an agreement. Obviously there's soe hard bargaining to be done but I'm surprised it went on for 6 hours without a conclusion.

The one thing that concerns me is that Shearer left the meeting yesterday without coming to an agreement. Obviously there's soe hard bargaining to be done but I'm surprised it went on for 6 hours without a conclusion.

Perhaps it's tied in with the above.

They are discussing how to move the club forward as well as Shearer's contract agreements. If they're putting something together, that would perhaps be a 3 year project, involving dealings with finances and staff etc, then it may take a couple of days to sort out. Setting out their blueprint will take a bit of time, which we don't have a lot of.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/27/alan-shearer-calls-on-mike-ashley-to-dig-deep-72703-23724071/2/

A source said today: “The talks are ongoing, but there could still be a way to go before there is an agreement signed.

“Alan is desperate to help Newcastle and take on the job because of his love for the club.

“The state of the squad is a part of the negotiations.

“It desperately needs reshaping and freshening up – it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work that out.

“The Championship is about pace and power, and this squad doesn’t have a lot of that.

“It’s a long 46-game season and you have to get used to the rigours of it.”

I keep reading this on the forum, is there any proof at all.  The only decision he has got right in his tenure has been appointing Shearer, he can't get them all wrong lets not see this as turning a corner just yet!

I think they may have wanted to make sure they dont rush things and make any rash decisions. Always a good idea to go home and "sleep on it" as the cliche goes. Sometimes, thoughts can come to you after an event so today might be a confirmation meeting or a chance to add new perspectives on things.

Alan gave a thumbs up to the camera as he left in the car with Dowie. Whether that was unintentional or a little sign I dont know. I am trying to look at it positively

I can just imagine Shearer and Dowie putting their ideas across, and Ashley and Llambias losing interest after about a minute, two busy hitting each other and pulling faces, similar to when you try and talk to little kids about something they're not interested in.

:lol: :lol:

Guest Phil K

When Carver was here I remember he used to get slagged off something rotten...

Your point is leading to ?

Ye i remember that too.. time changes opinions of people ie: Dyer, SBR time of sacking and Robert.

Just saying I've read a lot of positive responses to the possibilty of Carver's return, but I remember he used to get ripped apart on these forums when he worked alongside SBR. Draw your own conclusions.

Just saying I've read a lot of positive responses to the possibilty of Carver's return, but I remember he used to get ripped apart on these forums when he worked alongside SBR. Draw your own conclusions.

My conclusions found that Newcastle fans have to make someone a scape goat even if we don't have a clue what job they do at the club or how well they do it.