Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Guest ovesbar

Shearer denies making demands

Alan Shearer has denied making demands of Newcastle as he continues to discuss the chance to become the club's full-time manager.

The former England striker was unable to keep the club in the Premier League during a short stint in charge at the end of the season.

However Newcastle are keen for him to continue and lead the team in the Championship next term, and talks have been ongoing over the past week with owner Mike Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias.

Weekend reports made various claims concerning the talks, suggesting Shearer was seeking a big-money contract and a multi-million-pound transfer budget.

Shearer said in a statement: "I met Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias last week and we discussed at length the future of Newcastle United and my desire to be the manager moving forward.

"I made no demands but there were obvious conditions. We simply proposed an honest evaluation of what was needed to get the club back into the Premiership whilst building solid foundations for the future.

"I fully understand Mike Ashley's decision to sell the club as he feels it's now in the best interest of the club and the fans.

"I hope to know more by the end of the week."

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1780_5358735,00.html

Alan Shearer has denied making demands of Newcastle as he continues to discuss the chance to become the club's full-time manager.

The former England striker was unable to keep the club in the Premier League during a short stint in charge at the end of the season.

However Newcastle are keen for him to continue and lead the team in the Championship next term, and talks have been ongoing over the past week with owner Mike Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias.

Weekend reports made various claims concerning the talks, suggesting Shearer was seeking a big-money contract and a multi-million-pound transfer budget.

Shearer said in a statement: "I met Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias last week and we discussed at length the future of Newcastle United and my desire to be the manager moving forward.

"I made no demands but there were obvious conditions. We simply proposed an honest evaluation of what was needed to get the club back into the Premiership whilst building solid foundations for the future.

"I fully understand Mike Ashley's decision to sell the club as he feels it's now in the best interest of the club and the fans.

The bit I highligted in bold is very encouraging.

Good news. Pretty much confirms that Ashley didn't have a clue about the implications of relegation and now Shearer's told him the score he's shit himself.

Good news.  I agree with Dave, looks like big al laid down want needs to be done and Ga$hley shit his kegs and thought fuck this am off.

defo what happened.

Ma, Ok Alan weve been relegated., how do we get straight back up.

As, buy some players good enough, about 6 or 7 at least.

Ma, Im off.

Good news.  I agree with Dave, looks like big al laid down want needs to be done and Ga$hley s*** his kegs and thought f*** this am off.

dnt even need to of been in the room to know this is probably exactly how it went down, atleast shearer is staying positive and hasnt just sed fuck this im off! with the news of the club being up for sale.

Guest helios_centric

The misinformation about Shearer making large wage demands was just the usual propaganda the current regime uses to cover its arse when things are going against it. It was such obvious nonsense and I'm glad Shearer has spoken on the matter.

I'm expecting Lord Haw Haw to be the new stadium announcer next season.

Big Al isnt stupid, "Pay me XXX quid or No go for me" - Please, he didn't get this far in his career and life to be a complete idiot. He knows the club is in  the Championship and won't have cash to spend on a cushy salary.

Encouraging, maybe a deal can be agreed in principle this week and we can move forward.

Guest elbee909

Anyone remember the supposed crazy demands for players that Keegan was meant to have made - according to the Ashley lot, of course?  Seem quite keen to cover themselves in this way.

Love big Al even more TBH, all he wants to do is the best by this club where lucky to have someone like that at this moment in time

i'm sure he could do that with less than 50kpw (if true)

Love big Al even more TBH, all he wants to do is the best by this club where lucky to have someone like that at this moment in time

Joe Kinnear will do it for £750/wk with a T-mobile £15 monthly contract deal thrown in (100 texts for free).

I can't imagine that it's Shearer's salary that's the issue. It's pretty clear he wants substantial funds for re-building, or at least guarantees that the cost-cutting won't be too severe, and won't take the job under any other conditions. Ashley was probably fed up of a manager trying to put him over a barrel and decided to get out.

It's inevitable that Shearer's stand will be popular, because we all want good players to come / remain at the club. Longer term though, I don't think it's healthy for the manager to use his popularity with the fans to wield this kind of power. We've paid the price for this in the past, with Shearer as a player and Keegan as a manager second time round. I don't really want another 'untouchable'.

Shearer is tempting as the unity candidate, but there is a downside to appointing the local hero, the more I think about it. Beating the Geordie patriotic drum can be a distraction and a pressure on the players. Someone has just got Burnley promoted under less favourable conditions, and if Shearer is reluctant to take the job, there are other candidates out there.

I don't understand why the story of JFK coming back has such credence - I mean, sure Ashley offered him an extended contract, but I certainly don't remember it being announced that it was ever signed...?

Which means that Kinnear is, like Shearer, only contracted until the end of the (recently concluded) season - and is therefore not a club employee anymore!

Can someone please point out the flaw in this logic, because as far as I can tell, this JFK bullshit is exactly that: bullshit! It's like he's being used as a boogeyman. "Kinnear might come back, Kinnear might come back. Lock up your children" :rolleyes:

Well just the other day Ashley was singing his praises in ridiculous fashion.

I wouldn't put it past Ashley to have forgotten the term of Kinnear's employment!

Surely we didn't secretly sign Kinnear up? Surely if he had an extended contract the dopey bastard would have mentioned it to someone and the story gotten picked up?

I'm still scratching my head...

The papers wouldn't make stuff up, of course it's true.

Kinnear won't be back.

I think this. If he thought he had even an outside chance of getting the job back he'd have been shitehawking in the media for weeks.

Yup.

Kinnear won't be back.

I think this. If he thought he had even an outside chance of getting the job back he'd have been shitehawking in the media for weeks.

Yup.

Luke Edwards in one of the Journal webchats said that he had changed his number had not been contactable.