Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

All getting a bit worrying now this... Shearer saying 9 days ago that we need a manager sorting quickly and get on with plans... and we still have nowt, and who knows how soon an announcement will come, what with the sale.

I reckon Al knew this was coming, hence he said it. Still, if it isnt sorted in the next week i fear we'll be spending more than 1 season in the Champions League, sorry, Championship.

All getting a bit worrying now this... Shearer saying 9 days ago that we need a manager sorting quickly and get on with plans... and we still have nowt, and who knows how soon an announcement will come, what with the sale.

I reckon Al knew this was coming, hence he said it. Still, if it isnt sorted in the next week i fear we'll be spending more than 1 season in the Champions League, sorry, Championship.

Its really weird. When i was away from the site i had so much patience in seeing what will happen and see how it all pans out, now am back i expect and update every three bloody minutes and i expect it to be breaking news at least once an hour.

:frantic:

Its really weird. When i was away from the site i had so much patience in seeing what will happen and see how it all pans out, now am back i expect and update every three bloody minutes and i expect it to be breaking news at least once an hour.

:frantic:

:lol:

Funny thing is, when I'm at work, where we usually got SSN on, unless there's a game, I don't ever expect anything to happen. When I'm on here though, I'm the same as you; expecting some interesting thread title changes all the time!

Can't say it's surprising that nothing's happened though. I'm assuming that Ashley's got some interested parties and that he's letting Shearer know who they are and they are probably in talks as well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/omani-interest-in-newcastle-played-down-by-city-sources-1695406.html

Alan Shearer, meanwhile, awaits a response from the banks to Ashley's request for the continuation of a £40m working capital facility. That would enable Ashley to appoint Shearer on a permanent basis, if he wants to.

Shearer could be given a long-term contract with the necessary clauses in the event of a takeover. That would give Newcastle some stability and Shearer could start working on lifting the club back into the Premier League following their relegation. He could also focus on trying to retain some of the players he sees as being key to the club's future.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I just wish he could be allowed to get on with what he wants to do. Reading into some of the quotes today about players waiting for news on his appointment reinforces my belief that Shearer will be a major factor in players wanting to come. I think we are probably more attractive now as a championship club with Shearer in charge on a long term contract than we were as a premier league team with JFK as manager

I think it's a case of Shearer "hanging around" to see what happens with regards to takeovers and the future of the club.

If the club don't make a quick sale then i think Shearer will be appointed on a low contract. 

I can't imagine that it's Shearer's salary that's the issue. It's pretty clear he wants substantial funds for re-building, or at least guarantees that the cost-cutting won't be too severe, and won't take the job under any other conditions. Ashley was probably fed up of a manager trying to put him over a barrel and decided to get out.

It's inevitable that Shearer's stand will be popular, because we all want good players to come / remain at the club. Longer term though, I don't think it's healthy for the manager to use his popularity with the fans to wield this kind of power. We've paid the price for this in the past, with Shearer as a player and Keegan as a manager second time round. I don't really want another 'untouchable'.

Shearer is tempting as the unity candidate, but there is a downside to appointing the local hero, the more I think about it. Beating the Geordie patriotic drum can be a distraction and a pressure on the players. Someone has just got Burnley promoted under less favourable conditions, and if Shearer is reluctant to take the job, there are other candidates out there.

Cant think of one other candidate who would take the post under the present conditions bar Kinnear, thats assuming that he doesnt have a shred of self respect. We dont know that Shearer made any outrageous demands in regards to salary or transfer funds. Reading between the lines like everyone else it seems hes pointed out the realities of where we are and what is needed to them and MA has made yet more rash knee jerk decisions.

Alan Pardew was on Five Live the other night and they were talking about the Newcastle situation.  He was asked if he would want the manager's job.  He was very hesitant - said it was a mess and then there was Shearer.  If Shearer wasn't appointed manager now, he would still be in the background and that would be an uncomfortable situation for any prospective manager.

Guest toonlass

I think Mike Ashley should stop fucking about to see if a buyer comes in, and just appoint Shearer tbh. We have a season to prepare for and if he keeps holding off and not getting things sorted out then it will have a knock on effect for us come August.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Alan Pardew was on Five Live the other night and they were talking about the Newcastle situation.  He was asked if he would want the manager's job.  He was very hesitant - said it was a mess and then there was Shearer.  If Shearer wasn't appointed manager now, he would still be in the background and that would be an uncomfortable situation for any prospective manager.

Mike Ashley knows this, the new owners will be informed of this, which means there is absolutely no chance of it being anybody else

Guest toonlass

Mike Ashley knows this, the new owners will be informed of this, which means there is absolutely no chance of it being anybody else

In which case he should be appointed and allowed to get on with the job in hand.

Do you think Shearer is working in the background or playing golf?

I think Shearer has done all he can to decide who's comeing and going and who's staying, but until everyone knows where they stand there's not much else he can do.

NUFC.Com article.

Although Saturday marks the anniversary of the allied invasion of Normandy back in 1944, it's Friday that is shaping up to be D-Day, at least as far as Newcastle supporters are concerned.

That's the day when Alan Shearer expects to hear from Mike Ashley & his team whether the "obvious conditions" he made known to them recently will be fulfilled.

With the club now back on the market, the picture is even less clear than previously, but recent-cost cutting measures at SJP confirm that finances are tight to the point of breaking - and NUFC's immediate future rests on an unlikely quick sale or continued support from the banks.

Were Shearer to reject the proposals offered to him, or resist moves to extend the waiting period for news, then another spell of Joe Kinnear to the helm seems like an unpalatable reality - although opinion is split on whether JFK would be offered a return or AN Other boss would arrive, prepared to work in a climate of uncertainty.

Aside from those on extended deals, season ticket renewals are still to be sent out - deciding quite who will feature in the photos on the renewal pack is a tricky business, given the on and off-field problems we have and the fact that any or all of them could be up the road PDQ.

But an expected drop in renewal numbers seems certain to become a deluge were our top scorer to walk away, having been unable to reach an agreement on how to take the club forward.

Newspaper reports on Wednesday claimed that Keith Harris of investment bankers Seymour Pierce was now in Dubai to meet possible investors - although the inference was that he was trying to drum up possible interest rather than meeting parties who had made overtures to purchase the club.

Shearer quotes, Monday:

"I met Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias last week and we discussed at length the future of Newcastle United and my desire to be the manager moving forward.

"I made no demands but there were obvious conditions. We simply proposed an honest evaluation of what was needed to get the club back into the Premiership whilst building solid foundations for the future

"I fully understand Mike Ashley's decision to sell the club as he feels it's now in the best interest of the club and the fans. I hope to know more by the end of the week

NUFC.Com article.

Although Saturday marks the anniversary of the allied invasion of Normandy back in 1944, it's Friday that is shaping up to be D-Day, at least as far as Newcastle supporters are concerned.

That's the day when Alan Shearer expects to hear from Mike Ashley & his team whether the "obvious conditions" he made known to them recently will be fulfilled.

With the club now back on the market, the picture is even less clear than previously, but recent-cost cutting measures at SJP confirm that finances are tight to the point of breaking - and NUFC's immediate future rests on an unlikely quick sale or continued support from the banks.

Were Shearer to reject the proposals offered to him, or resist moves to extend the waiting period for news, then another spell of Joe Kinnear to the helm seems like an unpalatable reality - although opinion is split on whether JFK would be offered a return or AN Other boss would arrive, prepared to work in a climate of uncertainty.

Aside from those on extended deals, season ticket renewals are still to be sent out - deciding quite who will feature in the photos on the renewal pack is a tricky business, given the on and off-field problems we have and the fact that any or all of them could be up the road PDQ.

But an expected drop in renewal numbers seems certain to become a deluge were our top scorer to walk away, having been unable to reach an agreement on how to take the club forward.

Newspaper reports on Wednesday claimed that Keith Harris of investment bankers Seymour Pierce was now in Dubai to meet possible investors - although the inference was that he was trying to drum up possible interest rather than meeting parties who had made overtures to purchase the club.

Shearer quotes, Monday:

"I met Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias last week and we discussed at length the future of Newcastle United and my desire to be the manager moving forward.

"I made no demands but there were obvious conditions. We simply proposed an honest evaluation of what was needed to get the club back into the Premiership whilst building solid foundations for the future

"I fully understand Mike Ashley's decision to sell the club as he feels it's now in the best interest of the club and the fans. I hope to know more by the end of the week

Dont hold your breath.