Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Same reason players don't sign pay as you play contracts.

Managers don't have the same powers players do though. Surely those coming in after a stint out would almost have to take what they can get?

Guest Jungle Barry

"An announcement is imminent according to my man ITK. Infact he reckons that he has been working away all the time anyway. Ashley has given him £20m for players and anything he can generate from sales. Shearer has four players lined up and ready to sign"

From skunkers, dunno how credible the source is but fingers crossed anyway.

The squad is in desperate need of investment in some very key areas - hell the squad is so fucked up it needs a complete overhaul.

Essential that we make signings, so I'd imagine a transfer kitty would be expected.

The bit about him still working away would be true I reckon, he'll have an idea who he wants and some players will have been undoubtedly sounded out about whether or not they'd be interested. Shearer will know a lot more about the situation then we think, it's just he's not sharing it with the tabloid press as per any confidentiality agreement he's more than likely signed himself. Had Ashley been completely fucking him around as has been suggested I'm sure we would have heard something other than titbits from "club insiders"

Guest sicko2ndbest

I swear last week Llambias said there would be something significant by the end of the week or early next week.

I class Tuesday (today) as the last day of 'early next week' so keep your ears to the ground people!

I swear last week Llambias said there would be something significant by the end of the week or early next week.

I class Tuesday (today) as the last day of 'early next week' so keep your ears to the ground people!

He didn't really say that he said :

“There could be some movement regarding Alan Shearer at the end of this week or early next week,” said Llambias, who has been in regular contact with Seymour Pierce, the bank in charge of finding a buyer.

“The data room will be open on Wednesday, which will allow the groups who have proved they have the money to buy the club to look at the books. Nobody has been able to do that yet because the data room hasn’t been opened.

“We will not be making any decision on Alan as manager, that is not up to us, that is down to the groups who are buying the club. If they want to appoint him, then it’s up to them. We will speak to them about it. If they do want Alan then something could be done in the next few days. That’s where we are at this stage and everything is on going.”

So basically all he was saying was people had access to the accounts so could bid for the club and could hire Shearer as soon as late last week early this week. Doesn't mean it will happen though.

Alan Shearer has been assured by the outgoing hierarchy at Newcastle United that the two groups leading the bidding for the club are intent on installing him as manager.

Shearer has received a progress report from Derek Llambias, the managing director, the tone of which was markedly upbeat. A takeover is still on course to be announced by the end of this month and the club's record goalscorer remains the sole managerial candidate of note.

To protect the integrity of the bidding process, neither Shearer, Llambias nor Mike Ashley, the owner, are aware of the identity of the interested parties, who are vying to buy the club for £100million. They have, however, been kept informed of developments and the nature of discussions by Seymour Pierce, the investment bank handling the sale.

Up to four groups - one of which is fronted by Freddy Shepherd, the club's former chairman - have been involved in substantive negotiations with Keith Harris, the executive chairman of Seymour Pierce, but two are understood to have moved ahead of the others in terms of demonstrating their financial strength and are eager to open talks with Shearer.

While the delay in appointing Shearer - who was in charge for the final eight matches of last season, culminating in relegation from the Barclays Premier League - on a full-time basis has prompted enormous frustration on Tyneside, a conclusion to the impasse may finally be approaching, even if relationships with any new owners would have to be forged.

There is no guarantee that Shearer's ambitious plans for rebuilding the first-team squad, which he submitted to Ashley in the immediate aftermath of relegation, would be approved, although the former England captain is reported to be optimistic.

Time is not on Newcastle's side, given that the players return for pre-season training in seven days and, as things stand, are to work under Chris Hughton, the coach. A programme of practice matches has been organised, but no players have been bought and, just as important, none have been removed from a crippling wage bill.

Shearer is convinced that the likes of Steven Taylor and Habib Beye, whose declarations of loyalty to Newcastle after relegation are being tested by a lack of activity and around whom he wishes to build his defence, will be persuaded to stay at St James' Park once he is named as a permanent successor to Joe Kinnear.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6564757.ece

What a refreshingly positive article. Hope it's all on course.

I thought exactly the same. With it coming from Caulkin, I believe it's actually quite trustworthy too.

What a refreshingly positive article. Hope it's all on course.

I thought exactly the same. With it coming from Caulkin, I believe it's actually quite trustworthy too.

I'm sure Ashley and his goons would never lie to a manager to string him along whilst they prevaricate in the background... Wait...

Can't post the link from my phone but according to the Guardian, Shearer is so much more optimistic of a swift resolution to all this he's contacted Beye and Taylor to ask them to hold on.

Dunno how true it is but fuck it - I'm getting my hopes up again.

Can't post the link from my phone but according to the Guardian, Shearer is so much more optimistic of a swift resolution to all this he's contacted Beye and Taylor to ask them to hold on.

Dunno how true it is but fuck it - I'm getting my hopes up again.

People can criticise Al but there's no doubt that he's the key to locking down key players like Beye. There seems to be light at the end of the tunnel finally.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/23/alan-shearer-newcastle-due-diligence

Takeover groups want Shearer as full-time manager

• Four consortiums willing to meet Mike Ashley's £100m price

• Shearer urges Habib Beye and Steven Taylor to stay

Alan Shearer's appointment as Newcastle United's permanent manager has moved a significant step closer after the former England captain was told the two groups leading the race to complete a takeover both intend to offer him the job.

Four consortiums interested in buying the club from the owner, Mike Ashley, began due diligence last week and two have made a close inspection of the club's perilous finances. Sources close to the deal have indicated a takeover is likely to be completed before the end of the month and Shearer is increasingly confident he will be the man asked to guide the Magpies back into the Premier League.

Shearer has been in contact with Newcastle's managing director, Derek Llambias, this week and was given a positive update on the progress which has been made by the parties willing to match Ashley's £100m asking price.

Although the former Newcastle captain has not been given a definitive timescale as to when the sale will be completed, he has been assured he is in pole position to get the job because the prospective owners recognise he will be vital in lifting the club after relegation to the Championship.

Shearer won only one of the eight games he was in charge of last season as the club failed to preserve their place in the Premier League but his status on Tyneside means his appointment would help restore the bond between club and supporters. Indeed, Shearer's confidence has risen so much that he has contacted the defenders Steven Taylor and Habib Beye to urge them not to leave as a positive resolution to his situation is close. Both players have been linked with moves this week after becoming disillusioned by the uncertainty at St James' Park.

Well, lets put it one way.

Shearer is not the type of person to hang around silent if there is something he wants to do and has his mind set on doing. 

If this was dragging on, without any light at the end of the tunnel, Shearer would have came out and said fuck this, im off. 

He did it with his International retirement, he did it when he was outspoken about Gullit and, although he back-tracked, did it when he announced his retirement from football. 

The only hope I'm clinging onto anyhow, is that Shearer knows whats happening, more so than everyone else...

Guest toonlass

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/23/alan-shearer-newcastle-due-diligence

Takeover groups want Shearer as full-time manager

• Four consortiums willing to meet Mike Ashley's £100m price

• Shearer urges Habib Beye and Steven Taylor to stay

Alan Shearer's appointment as Newcastle United's permanent manager has moved a significant step closer after the former England captain was told the two groups leading the race to complete a takeover both intend to offer him the job.

Four consortiums interested in buying the club from the owner, Mike Ashley, began due diligence last week and two have made a close inspection of the club's perilous finances. Sources close to the deal have indicated a takeover is likely to be completed before the end of the month and Shearer is increasingly confident he will be the man asked to guide the Magpies back into the Premier League.

Shearer has been in contact with Newcastle's managing director, Derek Llambias, this week and was given a positive update on the progress which has been made by the parties willing to match Ashley's £100m asking price.

Although the former Newcastle captain has not been given a definitive timescale as to when the sale will be completed, he has been assured he is in pole position to get the job because the prospective owners recognise he will be vital in lifting the club after relegation to the Championship.

Shearer won only one of the eight games he was in charge of last season as the club failed to preserve their place in the Premier League but his status on Tyneside means his appointment would help restore the bond between club and supporters. Indeed, Shearer's confidence has risen so much that he has contacted the defenders Steven Taylor and Habib Beye to urge them not to leave as a positive resolution to his situation is close. Both players have been linked with moves this week after becoming disillusioned by the uncertainty at St James' Park.

The end of the month is next week, huzzah!!!  :celb:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/24/shearer-manager-saga-is-drawing-to-close-61634-23960403/

Shearer manager saga is drawing to close

Jun 24 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

THE two consortia leading the race to buy Newcastle United both want to appoint Alan Shearer as manager as the sale of the troubled Championship club continues to advance.

Shearer has received some encouraging news from United managing director Derek Llambias this week and a resolution to the ongoing takeover saga appears to be in sight.

The Journal revealed last week that Seymour Pierce, the bank in charge of the sale process, are confident new owners will be unveiled before the end of the month and that target remains a realistic one according to those directly involved in the deal.

And it seems Shearer may well be in the manager’s chair just as quickly after he was told by Llambias the two serious bidders intending to take over control from Mike Ashley believe he is the right man to try and propel the Magpies back into the Premier League at the first attempt.

That has been the first good news Shearer has received from the United hierarchy since his final face-to-face meeting with Ashley almost a month ago.

The apparent breakthrough was enough for Shearer to contact defenders Steven Taylor and Habib Beye to urge them both to be patient following reports they were tempted to quit St James’s Park because of the lack of progress surrounding his unveiling as permanent manager.

A source close to Shearer said: “There has been some contact between Alan and Derek Llambias this week and it seems the two serious bidders that emerged last week both intend to appoint him as manager once a takeover is completed.

“It’s definitely some positive news at last, although no timescale has been given so we don’t know exactly when it is going to happen.

“There is still a bit of work to be done by the sounds of things and until it happens, Alan will not be getting carried away with anything.”

Shearer has had to suffer in silence as he waits for updates on the takeover talks and his frustration has increased with each passing day.

United’s first-team squad return for the start of pre-season training next Wednesday and Shearer is itching to be able to take charge of the first session as he looks to get started on the urgent repair work which needs to be done following relegation.

Like every United fan, Shearer has been alarmed to read reports linking Taylor and Beye with a move. Taylor is wanted by West Ham, while Beye is a target for both Stoke and bitter local rivals Sunderland.

The prospect of losing two of the only players to emerge from last season’s dreadful campaign with any credit would have been another painful kick in the teeth for Newcastle’s long-suffering supporters. But Shearer appears to be confident both will stay as long as he is put in charge as quick as possible.

“Alan has talked to Steven and Habib and they have said they will stay at Newcastle if he is manager,” said the source. “However, as has always been the case, the sooner things are resolved the better because Newcastle have already lost ground on their Championship rivals in the transfer market.”