Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Mark Stewart, 43, taxi driver, Fenham: Shearer was in charge long enough but wheres the silverware? I dont know if he is the best person for the job now. I dont know if he would make much of a difference.

Eh? :lol:

And people wonder why our fans come across as deluded!

Guest helios_centric

Mark Stewart, 43, taxi driver, Fenham: Shearer was in charge long enough but wheres the silverware? I dont know if he is the best person for the job now. I dont know if he would make much of a difference.

To be fair he is a taxi driver and paid to talk utter bollocks.

To be fair he is a taxi driver and paid to talk utter bollocks.

And he didn't let the media down.

I honestly don't know what he's trying to say in that first sentence. Silverware? What?

i somehow get the feeling it's from a re-hashed article from last january, with shearer's name in place of keegan's

Imagine it was tongue in cheek but doesn't translate well in print.

Joke club; well done for pushing out the only person stupid enough to want to take the job.

Again taking someone's love for the club as a tool to use against them to do what they want.

I think they are repeating the exercise just to show it wasn't a fluke first time round with Keegan. Great job Ashley, you are finding new and creative methods of re-inventing yourself as an arsehole on a daily basis :thup:

cutting through the tabloid gossip...does it not just seem until the banks give the overdraft guarantee thingy then ashley can't meet the criteria that shearer wants ?

arguments can be made either way as to wether the bank would see it as a good idea to give it in light of the club being up for sale ?

http://www.lukewhostalking.co.uk/2009/06/give-shearer-the-job-now-and-t.html

Give Shearer The Job Now And Then Do One

By Luke Edwards on Jun 8, 09 01:02 PM

So how many bankers does it take to sort out Alan Shearer's contract? It sounds like the start of a bad joke doesn't it? But this is no laughing matter, this is deadly, deadly serious.

Quite why we are still waiting for an answer is beyond me and, if anything, I'm being given the distinct impression Mike Ashley has no intention of appointing Shearer as manager.

Instead, the rotund businessman who has, despite his good intentions, made a complete and utter cock up of his time at St James's Park, decides to run away as soon as the real problems start following relegation. No feeling of responsibility, no intention of trying to right the wrong, just a rapid escape to lick his own self-inflicted wounds.

He doesn't care if Newcastle United don't have a manager, he doesn't care if Alan Shearer is the only man who can do the job in these circumstances and he doesn't care if the club is drifting along without any sort of direction and planning. It seems to me that all he cares about is cutting his losses and walking away with £100m in his pocket.

Surely it doesn't take a bunch of accountants more than a week to sign off on a financial package which would make Shearer manager. Was that information just a smoke screen, given to the media and Shearer himself to buy some time? It's starting to look like it.

Well I'm sorry Mike but that is going to have to change. If you don't appoint Alan Shearer as manager, even though you are trying to sell the club, then you will be making a monumental blunder - even by your standards.

If the new owners don't want Shearer they are stupid. Why wouldn't they want the man who is the overwhelming choice of those who support and, ultimately in the Championship, l bankroll the club.

If a four-year contract is too long for prospective owners why isn't there a compromise? Why isn't Alan offered a three-year or even a two-year deal because in the short term at least he is the only appointment that makes sense, financially and emotionally.

With Shearer as manager I can see Newcastle starting next season with crowds hovering around the 40,000 mark. Without him there will probably be less than 20,000 as the feelings of disillusionment and betrayal really start to kick in.

With Shearer as manager I can see enough good players coming to St James's Park to get the team back into the Premier League at the first attempt. Without him I can see a shell of a first team squad which might even struggle to stay in the Championship. Alarmist? Perhaps, but who will be left and who on earth is going to sign for them?

Every day that passes without a resolution is costly and I wonder whether we are getting close to the stage where Shearer decides enough is enough and walks away, hoping new owners will be in place in time to appoint him (or someone else) before the damage done during this state of limbo is irreversible.

He wants to help his football club in their hour of need, but time is of the essence. As things stand Newcastle United are in more of a mess than ever before.

Relegation was bad enough but it could just have been the start of something a lot worse....

Luke Edwards is actually talking sense for once

http://www.lukewhostalking.co.uk/2009/06/give-shearer-the-job-now-and-t.html

Give Shearer The Job Now And Then Do One

By Luke Edwards on Jun 8, 09 01:02 PM

So how many bankers does it take to sort out Alan Shearer's contract? It sounds like the start of a bad joke doesn't it? But this is no laughing matter, this is deadly, deadly serious.

Quite why we are still waiting for an answer is beyond me and, if anything, I'm being given the distinct impression Mike Ashley has no intention of appointing Shearer as manager.

Instead, the rotund businessman who has, despite his good intentions, made a complete and utter cock up of his time at St James's Park, decides to run away as soon as the real problems start following relegation. No feeling of responsibility, no intention of trying to right the wrong, just a rapid escape to lick his own self-inflicted wounds.

He doesn't care if Newcastle United don't have a manager, he doesn't care if Alan Shearer is the only man who can do the job in these circumstances and he doesn't care if the club is drifting along without any sort of direction and planning. It seems to me that all he cares about is cutting his losses and walking away with £100m in his pocket.

Surely it doesn't take a bunch of accountants more than a week to sign off on a financial package which would make Shearer manager. Was that information just a smoke screen, given to the media and Shearer himself to buy some time? It's starting to look like it.

Well I'm sorry Mike but that is going to have to change. If you don't appoint Alan Shearer as manager, even though you are trying to sell the club, then you will be making a monumental blunder - even by your standards.

If the new owners don't want Shearer they are stupid. Why wouldn't they want the man who is the overwhelming choice of those who support and, ultimately in the Championship, l bankroll the club.

If a four-year contract is too long for prospective owners why isn't there a compromise? Why isn't Alan offered a three-year or even a two-year deal because in the short term at least he is the only appointment that makes sense, financially and emotionally.

With Shearer as manager I can see Newcastle starting next season with crowds hovering around the 40,000 mark. Without him there will probably be less than 20,000 as the feelings of disillusionment and betrayal really start to kick in.

With Shearer as manager I can see enough good players coming to St James's Park to get the team back into the Premier League at the first attempt. Without him I can see a shell of a first team squad which might even struggle to stay in the Championship. Alarmist? Perhaps, but who will be left and who on earth is going to sign for them?

Every day that passes without a resolution is costly and I wonder whether we are getting close to the stage where Shearer decides enough is enough and walks away, hoping new owners will be in place in time to appoint him (or someone else) before the damage done during this state of limbo is irreversible.

He wants to help his football club in their hour of need, but time is of the essence. As things stand Newcastle United are in more of a mess than ever before.

Relegation was bad enough but it could just have been the start of something a lot worse....

Luke Edwards is actually talking sense for once

Grim reading but frighteningly accurate. I want to burn down Sports Direct!

Guest helios_centric

If Ashley is such a keen gambler and self-confident, then why would he give up so weakly and pathetically? If he had anything about him at all he would back himself to come back from his mistakes and put right his almighty fuck-ups. I know I would without a doubt.

The situation is hardly irreversible. Gamble another £50 million or so on the basis that when we get promoted, we will be worth a load more, the fans will be back onside and you will be able to stick two fingers up to all and sundry who have derided you as a useless, hapless fat twat. Where is this bloke's spirit? Where is his backbone?

If he is still worth £700 million or £500 million or £200 million, then honestly what difference does it make if you lose another £50 million? You are still stinking rich whatever the outcome. I can't understand the mentality at all where you just accumulate numbers in the bank - surely once you are beyond £100 million then it is all pretty much irrelevant anyway - are you ever going to spend it all? Life is about risk and challenges and for the mega-rich, what else is there to do to bring some spark into your bean counting life?

Guest Mani

shearer this, shearer that,  am i the only one that's sick of hearing Alan fooking shearer.  we went down by one point, had someone else been in charge it may have been a fooking different story,

im sorry but i just dont understand this obsession with shearer.  i kinda want him to be appointed so when he fooks up, we wont ever hear about those mindless tossers standing outside st james calling for shearer name again, 

dont get me worng, i loved the guy as a player but he can sod off elsewhere and prove he can manage first b4 he steps up to a big job like ours.

:kinnear:

Guest firetotheworks

shearer this, shearer that,  am i the only one that's sick of hearing Alan fooking shearer.  we went down by one point, had someone else been in charge it may have been a fooking different story,

im sorry but i just dont understand this obsession with shearer.  i kinda want him to be appointed so when he fooks up, we wont ever hear about those mindless tossers standing outside st james calling for shearer name again, 

dont get me worng, i loved the guy as a player but he can sod off elsewhere and prove he can manage first b4 he steps up to a big job like ours.

Laughable. Absolutely 'fooking' laughable. Where else can he prove himself than at a club thats in the shit, in the championship remember, with a fan base that wants him. Fucks sake, some people.

Yeah we'd have gone down by 2 or 3 points instead :lol:

Yeah we'd have gone down by 2 or 3 points instead :lol:

You cant really argue that Shearer improved us overall, we looked more solid defensively but never genuinely looked like winning a game, Boro could have easily gone the other way.

I'll be glad if Shearer becomes our manager but at the same time we only scored in 2 out of 8 games under Shearer. In 5 of those games a single goal would have won us a point or all 3.

Guest BooBoo

we were shit when shearer was in charge.

I think we only really looked competent a handful of times, Keegan had his Old Trafford point but curiously most of them were under Kinnear. Not that i want that greaseball back of course

Yes the boro game could have gone the other way as most games can, the Portsmouth game could have ended with us winning or Portsmouth winning, same goes with Fulham.  We also had to play 3 teams from the top 5 plus an in form Spuds team so it was hardly a easy run.  We didn't improve a great deal but IMO the major difference was that under Hughton we wouldn't have won a game.