Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

I think its just Ashley washing his hands with the club tbh. Cant be arsed sorting a new manager, cant be arsed doing anything, sell up and get out, let it be the new owners problem.

Would this mean a sale is close though, because surely the longer he remains in charge without sorting anything out, the more it will cost him?

I think it's clear Fatso and his gang have a problem with the wages Shearer and his staff want and are trying to take advantage of Shearer's ties to the club and his desire to lead them out of this mess in order to try ang get him on the cheap.

How else can you explain all the talk of Shearer being the best appointment to the sudden ignoring of him and talks of selling the club and all these rumours of high wage demands?

Ashley really is a disgusting piece of work. He is very underhanded and completely clueless.

How can he not realise that ultimately he will lose a hell of a lot more money if anyone other than Shearer is appointed in the current circumstances. It would be the final straw for many who will no longer be involved with the club until he is gone.

I think its just Ashley washing his hands with the club tbh. Cant be arsed sorting a new manager, cant be arsed doing anything, sell up and get out, let it be the new owners problem.

Would this mean a sale is close though, because surely the longer he remains in charge without sorting anything out, the more it will cost him?

He could keep it at around £100million for another while yet, would only get lower when we sell players and struggle in the CCC due to the club once again being unstable.

It doesn't seem to bother him though. How can it?

Otherwise he wouldn't be doing everything exactly the opposite of what he should be doing.

Then again, he could just be a complete dipshit chancer who got extremely lucky in past business dealings and now is getting found out for the fuckwit he really is.

I think it's clear Fatso and his gang have a problem with the wages Shearer and his staff want and are trying to take advantage of Shearer's ties to the club and his desire to lead them out of this mess in order to try ang get him on the cheap.

How else can you explain all the talk of Shearer being the best appointment to the sudden ignoring of him and talks of selling the club and all these rumours of high wage demands?

Ashley really is a disgusting piece of work. He is very underhanded and completely clueless.

How can he not realise that ultimately he will lose a hell of a lot more money if anyone other than Shearer is appointed in the current circumstances. It would be the final straw for many who will no longer be involved with the club until he is gone.

He is on good form, he has already done this once with KK.

It doesn't seem to bother him though. How can it?

Otherwise he wouldn't be doing everything exactly the opposite of what he should be doing.

Then again, he could just be a complete dipshit chancer who got extremely lucky in past business dealings and now is getting found out for the fuckwit he really is.

Your last paragraph has it - I've been saying this for months...

He could keep it at around £100million for another while yet, would only get lower when we sell players and struggle in the CCC due to the club once again being unstable.

Then he could change his mind, take us back off the market and put JFK in charge and get us sent down again.

Completely agree.

Aye I think Al told him straight and he has said okay fk it then, club up for sale and he is going to do nothing at all trnasfer & manager wise or anything else, leave hto the new owner/owners.

Like i said before, I had a feeling that summik was up when we seen the footage of Ashley waving his arms about while talking to Llambias and the other guy.

Looked like had had given up by his body language.

Aye I think Al told him straight and he has said okay fk it then, club up for sale and he is going to do nothing at all trnasfer & manager wise or anything else, leave hto the new owner/owners.

I have to admit it does look like this is the case.

I just can't believe he's doing like this though. Surely a more stable club with (probably if Shearer was in charge now) a high percentage of season tickets sold (when they go on sale) would be a much more attractive proposition?

As i said before, the man's a fuckwit.

It's quite unbelievable how a successful (perhaps questionable) business man can make so many mistakes and not learn. Whenever there has been a decision to be made, he has made the WRONG decision EVERY time. I mean seriously, who the f*** advised him that it would be a good idea to advertise the sale of the club on a website aimed at communicating with fans? Beyond belief.

Business success involves a hell of a lot of luck.  Being in the right place at the right time with the right people around you can make even a complete moron a lot of money.  With us, Ashley seemed to be content to rely on his luck rather than good management and his luck just ran out.

The situation reminds me a bit of what happened with Alan Sugar a few years ago, when he bought Spurs. He ended up having to sack Terry Venables, who was the fans' favourite, and found himself out of control of his own business. Like Ashley, he was glad to get out in the end.

The only criterion for success in a business is making money. With a football club, success is trophies and there's a degree of customer involvement and interest in decisions which would normally be entirely up to an owner.

True.

Tbh I can understand people thinking that Ashley is deliberately running the club down because his decision making is so catastrophic that it seems inconceivable that he thinks he is doing the right things. But he is a trader and a chancer who got lucky in a market he understands. He thinks that means he has ability to run something else which he doesn't understand and like others before him (Sugar being one as you say) he is very wrong. People like Ashley are used to making decisions in their own time and in their own way, those that work for him know that and set things up around him accordingly. But in a business like a football club decisions are absolutely time critical and success depends upon the assets of the club being moulded into a cohesive unit (and not being viewed as a potential profitable resale). Ashley, though rich, isn't really very clever at all and I have thought since the word go that he was completely out of his depth owning a Premiership club.     

I'd kind of agree with your conclusion that there's a different skill-set needed to run a football club, when compared with running a business, and that Ashley has fallen short. I don't think it's the time pressure factor that's significant though, and I wouldn't say that Ashley has necessarily been lucky in his business life, any more than Sugar was lucky. In business, they each saw opportunities neglected by other people and went for it hell for leather.

The problem with a football club is that it is only partly a business. The other part is a kind of community institution in which the fans have a big influence, and in that respect it's like running a public service. The strain in running a public service is that you have the press, the government and the public on your back, demanding that you run things in a certain way, and you're not your own master. So a lot of what you would like to do has to be weighed up and compromises reached. So you get the worst of both worlds - you have to pick up the tab at the end of the day, but you don't get the free hand that you would get in business.

Like you said, maybe Ashley just doesn't have the kind of brain that can anticipate that kind of difficulty and deal with it. He's also used to shunning the limelight, and may not have the kind of thick skin you need in that very public position. I didn't like Shepherd, but he did have the hide of a rhino when the criticism started flying.

Strictly in the world of business, appointing Wise and Keegan together might have made a lot of sense. Keegan would produce an entertaining product for the customers and Wise would look after the long-term strategy and the finances. But in practice, that was a disaster. Keegan is more than an employee - he's a public figure with a lot of support and he wasn't averse to using that status to try to get what he wanted, despite what may have been written into his contract. Ashley has not been in control since that point, because he was never going to win a PR battle with Keegan. It's just not a situation that occurs in the business world.

It's quite unbelievable how a successful (perhaps questionable) business man can make so many mistakes and not learn. Whenever there has been a decision to be made, he has made the WRONG decision EVERY time. I mean seriously, who the f*** advised him that it would be a good idea to advertise the sale of the club on a website aimed at communicating with fans? Beyond belief.

Business success involves a hell of a lot of luck.  Being in the right place at the right time with the right people around you can make even a complete moron a lot of money.  With us, Ashley seemed to be content to rely on his luck rather than good management and his luck just ran out.

The situation reminds me a bit of what happened with Alan Sugar a few years ago, when he bought Spurs. He ended up having to sack Terry Venables, who was the fans' favourite, and found himself out of control of his own business. Like Ashley, he was glad to get out in the end.

The only criterion for success in a business is making money. With a football club, success is trophies and there's a degree of customer involvement and interest in decisions which would normally be entirely up to an owner.

True.

Tbh I can understand people thinking that Ashley is deliberately running the club down because his decision making is so catastrophic that it seems inconceivable that he thinks he is doing the right things. But he is a trader and a chancer who got lucky in a market he understands. He thinks that means he has ability to run something else which he doesn't understand and like others before him (Sugar being one as you say) he is very wrong. People like Ashley are used to making decisions in their own time and in their own way, those that work for him know that and set things up around him accordingly. But in a business like a football club decisions are absolutely time critical and success depends upon the assets of the club being moulded into a cohesive unit (and not being viewed as a potential profitable resale). Ashley, though rich, isn't really very clever at all and I have thought since the word go that he was completely out of his depth owning a Premiership club.     

I'd kind of agree with your conclusion that there's a different skill-set needed to run a football club, when compared with running a business, and that Ashley has fallen short. I don't think it's the time pressure factor that's significant though, and I wouldn't say that Ashley has necessarily been lucky in his business life, any more than Sugar was lucky. In business, they each saw opportunities neglected by other people and went for it hell for leather.

The problem with a football club is that it is only partly a business. The other part is a kind of community institution in which the fans have a big influence, and in that respect it's like running a public service. The strain in running a public service is that you have the press, the government and the public on your back, demanding that you run things in a certain way, and you're not your own master. So a lot of what you would like to do has to be weighed up and compromises reached. So you get the worst of both worlds - you have to pick up the tab at the end of the day, but you don't get the free hand that you would get in business.

Like you said, maybe Ashley just doesn't have the kind of brain that can anticipate that kind of difficulty and deal with it. He's also used to shunning the limelight, and may not have the kind of thick skin you need in that very public position. I didn't like Shepherd, but he did have the hide of a rhino when the criticism started flying.

Strictly in the world of business, appointing Wise and Keegan together might have made a lot of sense. Keegan would produce an entertaining product for the customers and Wise would look after the long-term strategy and the finances. But in practice, that was a disaster. Keegan is more than an employee - he's a public figure with a lot of support and he wasn't averse to using that status to try to get what he wanted, despite what may have been written into his contract. Ashley has not been in control since that point, because he was never going to win a PR battle with Keegan. It's just not a situation that occurs in the business world.

Great response bobyule.

Just a couple of points of clarification:

I don't know so much about Sugar but I think Ashley was lucky. The flotation valuation of Sports Direct was way in excess of reality as subsequent results have shown (pre recession too) and he coined nearly a £billion in cash on the back of that. 

Also my point about decisions in football being time critical was more to do with planning the timing of decisions so that they are made at the best time for the club, given that there is a clear cut season, transfer window, pre season training etc. The timing and significance of these is known well in advance. And if you do have an unexpected event (e.g KK departure and JFK illness) mid season it becomes a matter of urgency to sort something out quickly. The run of results under Hughton's stewardship post KK where we lost to Hull and Paul Ince's Blackburn at home was a case in point.

Your second para on the difference between a football club and other businesses is about as good an analysis as I've ever read tbh.

True.

Great response bobyule.

I don't know so much about Sugar but I think Ashley was lucky. The flotation valuation of Sports Direct was way in excess of reality as subsequent results have shown (pre recession too) and he coined nearly a £billion in cash on the back of that. 

Also my point about decisions in football being time critical was more to do with planning the timing of decisions so that they are made at the best time for the club, given that there is a clear cut season, transfer window, pre season training etc. The timing and significance of these is known well in advance. And if you do have an unexpected event (e.g KK departure and JFK illness) mid season it becomes a matter of urgency to sort something out quickly. The run of results under Hughton's stewardship post KK where we lost to Hull and Paul Ince's Blackburn at home was a case in point.

Your second para on the difference between a football club and other businesses is about as good an analysis as I've ever read tbh.

Each of Ashleys shops make around £15-18k a day on a weekend your looking at over £20k a day and a replica shirt release day the shop in that area can make around £10k from the shirt sales alone. That's not luck. He has been able to make loads of money before the shops were floated from hard work hunting for grey market merchandise to flog in this country for dirt cheap then buying out companies to allow him to produce stock for next to noubt and sell it for huge profits. This is not luck.

True.

Great response bobyule.

Each of Ashleys shops make around £15-18k a day on a weekend your looking at over £20k a day and a replica shirt release day the shop in that area can make around £10k from the shirt sales alone. That's not luck. He has been able to make loads of money before the shops were floated from hard work hunting for grey market merchandise to flog in this country for dirt cheap then buying out companies to allow him to produce stock for next to noubt and sell it for huge profits. This is not luck.

Missed the point. Trousering a £billion of cash when floating a business at £3 a share when it is worth less than half that is luck. 

So you're saying that the ability to make yourself a billionaire by building up a company from nothing into one worth over a billion. Then managing to sell part of it for even more than it's worth, whilst basically retaining control over it to the extent that you can afford to tell the people who bought-in where to go. Then when they try to get revenge on you in the only way they can by forcing down the price of your shares to below what they're really worth, you call their bluff and start buying them back at much much less than you sold them for. Is all down to luck?

Wow, that's one lucky bastard!! I wish I had luck like that.

But the valuation was made on the back of an obviously suscessful business model.

And how has the performance of the business model in practice shown that valuation to be anything other than grossly inflated? Even before the recession kicked in the company's worth had fallen to about 15% of its flotation value. For clarification that's  an 85% reduction in value.

So you're saying that the ability to make yourself a billionaire by building up a company from nothing into one worth over a billion. Then managing to sell part of it for even more than it's worth, whilst basically retaining control over it to the extent that you can afford to tell the people who bought-in where to go. Then when they try to get revenge on you in the only way they can by forcing down the price of your shares to below what they're really worth, you call their bluff and start buying them back at much much less than you sold them for. Is all down to luck?

Wow, that's one lucky b******!! I wish I had luck like that.

Yes. The subsequent performance proves beyond any doubt that the valuation process was flawed and those that carried it out cocked up and Ashley has exploited that - lucky.

Wow, that's one lucky b******!! I wish I had luck like that.

Yes. The subsequent performance proves beyond any doubt that the valuation process was flawed and those that carried it out cocked up and Ashley has exploited that - lucky.

So identifying and exploiting opportunities to your own benefit is all down to luck?

Whatever people think of the bloke for what's happened here, to say that he's become a billionaire due to nothing more than luck is... ...well, delusional really. There are a hell of a lot of lucky people out there, there's not that many billionaires.