Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6024794.ece

Sense of a fresh dawn as Alan Shearer has immediate effect

Something stirs on Tyneside as presence of new manager on the touchline makes sullen players chase every ball with enthusiasm

George Caulkin

With legs slightly apart, index finger resting on his cheek and the letters AS emblazoned on his white sweatshirt - smart work by the club's official embroiderer - Alan Shearer stood on the touchline of Newcastle United's training pitch. He has a piercing, unforgiving stare, but if looks can thrill, then they certainly did; in front of him, sullen footballers looked invigorated, chasing every ball, every tackle.

He has that effect, does Shearer. He did as a player - the demands for excellence, the rousing presence in the dressing-room, the refusal to let standards slip - and he will do so now. If there is less dewy-eyed romanticism about his arrival than there was for Kevin Keegan, it is because Shearer's personality is different; even his emotional decisions are calculated. “I wouldn't be here if I thought there wasn't enough ability in that squad,” he said.

In a city forged from heavy industry, a region based on effort and football, Shearer stirs something. His presence alone has ensured that St James' Park will be crammed to capacity tomorrow against Chelsea - on Wednesday, before his appointment was confirmed, the ticket office had fielded 5,000 telephone calls - and a club who had been infiltrated by defeat are reborn.

But he has more than a steely glare and statements of the obvious. Away from the cameras, he possesses wry humour and a quick mind. He knows Newcastle and he knows players. During his first training session yesterday morning, he did not gravitate towards his former team-mates and good friends; Michael Owen, Nicky Butt and Steve Harper were not granted special privileges.

Instead, there was an arm around the shoulder and words of encouragement for Xisco, the Spanish forward, whose transfer from Deportivo La Coruña last year prompted Kevin Keegan's departure and whose spell on Tyneside has been wretched. There were chats with Jonás Gutiérrez, whose form has dived alarmingly, and José Enrique, a left back with talent but brittle confidence. Iain Dowie, his assistant, dominated vocally; orchestrating a loud and lively session (Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood, the coaches, were involved, but more peripheral). There were dribbles around poles, sprints, possession games, an emphasis on movement, communication, high tempo, sharp passing. “You're tired, but go again,” Shearer barked in the dazzling sunshine. “Go again.” Later, he praised his new charges.

“The response has been fantastic, although not surprising,” Shearer said. “I came in this morning, saw all the players, spoke to them and the staff and the training was superb. They have set standards we want them to keep to. I said to them afterwards, ‘If you keep that determination up, we'll be OK.' We have a massive fight on our hands, but we'll give it a good go.”

Dowie elaborated. “From minute one, even in his first phone call, Alan projected a positive aura,” he said. “He knows that I'm a tracksuit manager, that I like to get involved in the coaching. We have a very open and frank relationship, which works very well. We've brought Paul Ferris on board, who is similarly minded, very bright and a trained barrister - I could have done with him a few years ago.

“Make no bones about it, I'm here to shape the team that Alan wants. In training, I'm very hands-on, but Alan chipped in with some very good points at crucial times. I can take away all the mundane things, the stuff which drives you mad as a manager, so Alan doesn't have to worry about that. It's very important that Alan can be single-minded about team selection and performances. There was a sense that it was a fresh dawn.”

There needs to be; Newcastle this season have been groping in a long, dark dusk. “I feel the pain the fans have been going through,” Shearer said. “I always enjoyed my football, but I've been watching Newcastle over the past few months and for whatever reason, they haven't been enjoying it. They came in today and had a buzz about them, smiles on their faces.”

AS has answered the SOS. It was a substantive start and impressive, too.

superb article

Guest firetotheworks

f***ing hell, all this speculation is killing me, does anyone else feel like they've been wondering who our next full time manager is gonna be for about a year and a half?

Yeah, but to be honest I'm more chuffed at the moment that its even contentious.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6024794.ece

Sense of a fresh dawn as Alan Shearer has immediate effect

Something stirs on Tyneside as presence of new manager on the touchline makes sullen players chase every ball with enthusiasm

George Caulkin

With legs slightly apart, index finger resting on his cheek and the letters AS emblazoned on his white sweatshirt - smart work by the club's official embroiderer - Alan Shearer stood on the touchline of Newcastle United's training pitch. He has a piercing, unforgiving stare, but if looks can thrill, then they certainly did; in front of him, sullen footballers looked invigorated, chasing every ball, every tackle.

He has that effect, does Shearer. He did as a player - the demands for excellence, the rousing presence in the dressing-room, the refusal to let standards slip - and he will do so now. If there is less dewy-eyed romanticism about his arrival than there was for Kevin Keegan, it is because Shearer's personality is different; even his emotional decisions are calculated. “I wouldn't be here if I thought there wasn't enough ability in that squad,” he said.

In a city forged from heavy industry, a region based on effort and football, Shearer stirs something. His presence alone has ensured that St James' Park will be crammed to capacity tomorrow against Chelsea - on Wednesday, before his appointment was confirmed, the ticket office had fielded 5,000 telephone calls - and a club who had been infiltrated by defeat are reborn.

But he has more than a steely glare and statements of the obvious. Away from the cameras, he possesses wry humour and a quick mind. He knows Newcastle and he knows players. During his first training session yesterday morning, he did not gravitate towards his former team-mates and good friends; Michael Owen, Nicky Butt and Steve Harper were not granted special privileges.

Instead, there was an arm around the shoulder and words of encouragement for Xisco, the Spanish forward, whose transfer from Deportivo La Coruña last year prompted Kevin Keegan's departure and whose spell on Tyneside has been wretched. There were chats with Jonás Gutiérrez, whose form has dived alarmingly, and José Enrique, a left back with talent but brittle confidence. Iain Dowie, his assistant, dominated vocally; orchestrating a loud and lively session (Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood, the coaches, were involved, but more peripheral). There were dribbles around poles, sprints, possession games, an emphasis on movement, communication, high tempo, sharp passing. “You're tired, but go again,” Shearer barked in the dazzling sunshine. “Go again.” Later, he praised his new charges.

“The response has been fantastic, although not surprising,” Shearer said. “I came in this morning, saw all the players, spoke to them and the staff and the training was superb. They have set standards we want them to keep to. I said to them afterwards, ‘If you keep that determination up, we'll be OK.' We have a massive fight on our hands, but we'll give it a good go.”

Dowie elaborated. “From minute one, even in his first phone call, Alan projected a positive aura,” he said. “He knows that I'm a tracksuit manager, that I like to get involved in the coaching. We have a very open and frank relationship, which works very well. We've brought Paul Ferris on board, who is similarly minded, very bright and a trained barrister - I could have done with him a few years ago.

“Make no bones about it, I'm here to shape the team that Alan wants. In training, I'm very hands-on, but Alan chipped in with some very good points at crucial times. I can take away all the mundane things, the stuff which drives you mad as a manager, so Alan doesn't have to worry about that. It's very important that Alan can be single-minded about team selection and performances. There was a sense that it was a fresh dawn.”

There needs to be; Newcastle this season have been groping in a long, dark dusk. “I feel the pain the fans have been going through,” Shearer said. “I always enjoyed my football, but I've been watching Newcastle over the past few months and for whatever reason, they haven't been enjoying it. They came in today and had a buzz about them, smiles on their faces.”

AS has answered the SOS. It was a substantive start and impressive, too.

superb article

Caulkin is the only football journo worth reading.  Great stuff.

judging by his interview on bbc.com at pitchside sounds like he really means he will leave after 8 games like

I agree with you.  He's making all of the right noises to leave after eight matches.  I really don't think he fancies it but understands what it means to the club in these eight matches.  If I were a betting man I'd put money down on him leaving at the end of the season.

Guest geordienorway

DAILY EXPRESS: Alan Shearer's first act as manager of Newcastle was to lay down the law and ban players from the city's notorious pubs and clubs until the end of the season.

:clap:

DAILY EXPRESS: Alan Shearer's first act as manager of Newcastle was to lay down the law and ban players from the city's notorious[/b} pubs and clubs until the end of the season.

OOOooo notorious...it sounds scary!!!

I doubt many of them have ever been into the Black Garter! :)

DAILY EXPRESS: Alan Shearer's first act as manager of Newcastle was to lay down the law and ban players from the city's notorious[/b} pubs and clubs until the end of the season.

OOOooo notorious...it sounds scary!!!

I doubt many of them have ever been into the Black Garter! :)

:lol: Can't say I blame them either.

Guest timmy boy

I'M f***ing SLOW TO PICK IT UP BUT SHEAAAAAAAAAAAAAREEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!

Same, I was sitting in a hostel in on Wednesday in Berlin, went on some really shit net connection just to see the football news and it said Shearer was back, I jumped up and shouted and these Germans looked a bit puzzled when I said it was because Shearer was back,couldn't believe it. Couldn't  wait to get home yesterday to read all about it, happy days.

I might get slated for this, but there's a certain twinkle in Shearer's eyes that was missing from Keegan's the 2nd time around. He has a "man on a mission" look about him that's reminded me of Keegan's first press conference sat there beside SJH.

Also, the more and more I think of the AS/ID double act, the more it makes sense to me. Dare I say it, and I know I'm jumping the gun big time....but it may have the makings of a dynasty IF and only if we get the situation sorted in the boardroom

Also, the more and more I think of the AS/ID double act, the more it makes sense to me. Dare I say it, and I know I'm jumping the gun big time....but it may have the makings of a dynasty IF and only if we get the situation sorted in the boardroom

I can see where you're coming from with this. I was very impressed with Dowie's words at the press conference. Both he, and Shearer gave me the impression that they knew exactly how things were going to work between them. They both seem head strong and determined. I really would love to see it work.... obviously.

I am not getting over excited because that ultimately sets you up for a fall.

Whether he looks the part or not in training is irrelevant, he needs the players to respond the only place that matters on the pitch.

If they fold like they have been doing then all the feel good factor will be gone, just like it happened when Keegan came back.  Do these players have it in them to really perfom?  Maybe, but i'm not expecting a team that's been a fucking disgrace all season to suddenly become world beaters.

Guest toonlass

George Culkin is a superb read. He consistantly picks up the mood on Tyneside and conveys it magnificently in his articles.

I can't wait for tomorrow. Win, lose or draw its going to be good to see the big man home.

Whether he looks the part or not in training is irrelevant, he needs the players to respond the only place that matters on the pitch.

If they fold like they have been doing then all the feel good factor will be gone, just like it happened when Keegan came back.  Do these players have it in them to really perfom?  Maybe, but i'm not expecting a team that's been a fucking disgrace all season to suddenly become world beaters.

For half an hour against the Mancs and an hour against the Gooners they looked good enough to get us out of the shite. Shearer's job is to have them performing at that level for 90 minutes and, as he said, we should be OK.

If they fold like they have been doing then all the feel good factor will be gone, just like it happened when Keegan came back.  Do these players have it in them to really perfom?  Maybe, but i'm not expecting a team that's been a f***ing disgrace all season to suddenly become world beaters.

Dare I say it, I have the impression that the coaching and management set-up, despite big Al's lack of experience, will be more professional than Keegan's. This alone could see consistency brought into the equation. Something we really need if we're going to pick up as many points as possible. Tbh if Shearer gets the team selection and tactics right, with a bit of luck we could go the last 8 games unbeaten. At least that's the over-optimistic view I'm desperate to adopt.

If they fold like they have been doing then all the feel good factor will be gone, just like it happened when Keegan came back.  Do these players have it in them to really perfom?  Maybe, but i'm not expecting a team that's been a f***ing disgrace all season to suddenly become world beaters.

Dare I say it, I have the impression that the coaching and management set-up, despite big Al's lack of experience, will be more professional than Keegan's. This alone could see consistency brought into the equation. Something we really need if we're going to pick up as many points as possible. Tbh if Shearer gets the team selection and tactics right, with a bit of luck we could go the last 8 games unbeaten. At least that's the over-optimistic view I'm desperate to adopt.

This is what we all want, and bloody hell we need more luck than we have been getting recently.

Another posistive is trying to sort out the injury issue that has plagued us since bobby left.

George Culkin is a superb read. He consistantly picks up the mood on Tyneside and conveys it magnificently in his articles.

I can't wait for tomorrow. Win, lose or draw its going to be good to see the big man home.

big man???  he isnt even 6 foot, hardly big?

You ain't seen him without any pants on.

actually i have, when the toon trained at maiden castle i used to work at durham uni, after our lunchtime 5 a sides we used to share the showers with the newcastle sqaud after they had finished training

actually i have, when the toon trained at maiden castle i used to work at durham uni, after our lunchtime 5 a sides we used to share the showers with the newcastle sqaud after they had finished training

and? is that all you're giving us?

Guest Phil K

I'd be apoplectic with rage if Shearer saves us from relegation and that useless git Kinnear is back in charge next season.

Just reading that Caulkin article you realise that already there has been a massive lift for everyone involved, at least at the real business end of the club - the playing football part. Dark clouds have parted and the sun has come flooding through, wether it can heal all in time for the Chelsea kick-off is debatable but there will be a new team on display saturday afternoon. To hear that Shearer had his arm round Xisco and spoke to Guiterrez and Enrique, well I'm sure he spoke to everyone but it needed to be done - it's been sadly lacking by all accounts.

Then thinking ahead to the unthinkable, season over, Newcastle have survived and Shearer is allowed to leave. It just can't happen, it can't be allowed to happen. A cancer patient in the joy of remission being told a new tumour had been found would be a depressing but accurate...  simile or metaphor? Either way it would leave me suicidal, much like, I suspect, the cancer patient.

Guest Wally_McFool

I'd be apoplectic with rage if Shearer saves us from relegation and that useless git Kinnear is back in charge next season.

You and a couple of hundred thousand others.