Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8046338.stm

Viduka expects Shearer to stay on

Newcastle striker Mark Viduka is backing Alan Shearer to help save the Magpies from relegation and stay on as manager next season.

Shearer is scheduled to leave his position at the end of the season.

But after seeing Newcastle earn their first win under Shearer's tenure and improve their chances of beating relegation, Viduka hopes he will stay.

"Shearer's had a massive impact, I wish him all the best. I hope we stay up and he's got a long career here," he said.

Newcastle beat neighbours Middlesbrough 3-1 on Wednesday to secure a vital three points which was enough to lift them out of the drop zone, where they were replaced by Hull on goal difference.

Shearer's maiden win was his first since taking over in April and was his hometown club's first at St James' Park since 21 December.

The 38-year-old has maintained that he will only be in charge until the end of the season but there is a growing belief that the former England and Newcastle striker is considering staying.

If Shearer did stay it would be a decision that would be welcomed by Viduka.

"Everybody respects Alan - he's got that automatically. Maybe he doesn't have the experience as a manager, but he has got that presence about him," said Viduka.

"I was a massive fan of Alan's. He knows what striking is all about, he knows the position and it's an honour.

"Since Alan came back, the first thing he did was ask me whether I was in or out, and I want to keep this club up, that's the most important thing - as do the rest of the players."

I have known our manager ever since I started in the game and consider him to be a friend but there was no old pals' act as far as his decision-making was concerned.

Though I was upset and felt that he was wrong - only last week the press pointed out that, even though I had only scored eight league goals this season, my conversion ratio was the best in the Premier League - what I can't fault is the way he handled the situation: strong, up front and honest. Just the way a top manager should be.

Regardless of whether I agree with the decision or not (in that case I did), that is exactly what I want to hear.

and people say he's got a bit of souness about him.

laughable isnt it, just because they seemed to get on well. the truth is we didnt know before he took the job on, and we still dont know.

Shearer will stay.  It looks like he's had some adrenaline rushes and that can be awfully addicting.  He probably hasn't felt like that since he's hung up the boots.  He'll want more, I hope.

As for Taylor, it seems like he has more of an offensive aptitude than defensive.  I remember some runs and nice crosses as a RB and he's made some heady plays in the opponents box as well.  Some players are just better at being proactive than reactive and the proactive ones are better offensively where as the defensive ones are better reactively, obviously.  I like him as a RB simply because i think he can be effective on the attack and as much as I luvs Habib Beye, he's probably on the downside and Tayls would be a good replacement, I think.

Shearer will stay.  It looks like he's had some adrenaline rushes and that can be awfully addicting.  He probably hasn't felt like that since he's hung up the boots.  He'll want more, I hope.

As for Taylor, it seems like he has more of an offensive aptitude than defensive.  I remember some runs and nice crosses as a RB and he's made some heady plays in the opponents box as well.  Some players are just better at being proactive than reactive and the proactive ones are better offensively where as the defensive ones are better reactively, obviously.  I like him as a RB simply because i think he can be effective on the attack and as much as I luvs Habib Beye, he's probably on the downside and Tayls would be a good replacement, I think.

Not sure I'd agree with the proactive/reactive bit, the best defenders are proactive so they're not always on the back foot. They know where to be to snuff out danger instead of trying to stop it once it's a massive problem.

Agree with you regarding him at right-back though. From what I've seen I wouldn't mind him becoming the natural successor to Beye - he's done well there.

Not sure I'd agree with the proactive/reactive bit, the best defenders are proactive so they're not always on the back foot. They know where to be to snuff out danger instead of trying to stop it once it's a massive problem.

Agree with you regarding him at right-back though. From what I've seen I wouldn't mind him becoming the natural successor to Beye - he's done well there.

Yeah good point and you could go a step further and say that offensively you can be reactive by taking advantage of open space as well.  I gues I just should have left it as Taylor looks better offensively than defensively  ;D

I doubt there will be many posts in the "Players in public" thread anymore.

Orwellian image works for Toon boss Shearer

May 16 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

BIG Brother – in the form of Alan Shearer – is watching over Newcastle’s players, and the manager’s spies are having the desired effect. Mark Douglas reports,

FEAR has cast a long shadow over St James’s Park this season. Performances racked with tension, Mike Ashley chased off the terraces for his calamitous handling of Kevin Keegan, the lingering fear of Championship football that has grown as the weeks have passed – all signs of a club scared of its own shadow.

Fear still remains at Newcastle United. But under Alan Shearer, whose managerial qualities emerge with sharper clarity by the day, it has been channelled to produce the best from under-performing players desperate for direction.

The disciplinary crackdown is old news, but little details continue to emerge. Injured players are now required to do a full seven-hour working day without exception, and a lack of effort on the training field will be met with a demand to return for further work in the afternoon.

“A lack of effort” is not decided on by a manager’s whim – it is based on the results churned out by the heart monitors strapped to every first team player.

It is unlikely that Steven Taylor, United’s defensive colossus, has ever been ordered back for further afternoon work. But, he admits, he has the fear too. In his case it is a feeling that wherever he goes in Newcastle, Shearer has contacts and spies who are watching, ready to report back if he steps out of line.

“Everyone realises they can’t get away with anything. He is from Newcastle. He knows people throughout Newcastle and he will find out anything,” the defender said.

“He’s like Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United – you can’t get away with anything. That is what this football club needed. People can’t come here and think it’s a jolly-up.

“All I have to eat now is steaks on my George Foreman grill. If I go into a restaurant I’m thinking: ‘He knows what I’m eating. Will I order chips or not?’ I’m a bit wary now. If someone looks at me, I’m thinking does he know where I’m going, the toilet? In the supermarket I’m thinking: ‘Is he going to find out? Will he see the cameras?’ He’s got eyes everywhere, contacts. He finds out.”

If that Orwellian ‘Big Brother’ image sounds like a nightmare, it couldn’t be further from the truth.

Shearer’s disciplinary crackdown has yielded results – and not just the win against Middlesbrough. The return to form and fitness of Mark Viduka is a significant stripe to Shearer’s nascent managerial career, and so is the return of confidence and a winning mentality.

“I used to play with the gaffer and when you had him in the team you thought you were going to win. That belief, that confidence – every time I’d see his name on the team-sheet I’d believe we were going to win,” Taylor said.

“He tells you what he demands and you don’t want to let him down. When you see people are talking to him, they’re frightened. He has that aura about him.

“Someone who can do that, and do it to big players at this club, that’s someone you can’t let down, someone you can’t say no to.

“He is like what he was on the pitch – a leader. He demands the best, he has high standards. I think we needed a kick up the backside. If we have people now who are not performing then they’ll not be in the team. The name doesn’t matter, he has proven that.”

The endorphins that coursed through black and white blood after Monday’s win have changed attitudes at St James’s Park, increasing confidence and boosting morale ahead of the final two games of the campaign.

“We came in for a cool-down which was a pool session and all the lads just looked so relaxed. Much more upbeat,” he said. “We can beat Fulham and Aston Villa, we’ve got the belief we can do it. Everyone has pulled their finger out and I think it’s showing.”

Taylor hopes that the unity between players and supporters can be reprised this afternoon too. United’s administration has been hammered, rightly, for mistakes made this season. But handing out flags to fans was a masterstroke because it looked intimidating – its splendour matched by the passionate and vocal support that the supporters lent to the team. Taylor, whose obvious passion bubbled over when he equalised Habib Beye’s early own goal, is hoping fans heed the club’s call to bring the flags again this afternoon.

“It was better than the derby atmosphere. The flags – I don’t know whose idea that was but for me it was one of the best. It was like a foreign atmosphere, like Sporting Lisbon,” he said.

“And it was intimidating for the Boro players, how many times did they kick the ball out? It’s how it should be, it shouldn’t be like that just for a vital game, it should be like that every week. They play a big part. Talking to the Boro players after the game, they were saying how noisy the fans were.” United’s players must be wary of becoming intoxicated by the result and atmosphere of the Middlesbrough game.

Fulham, transformed under Roy Hodgson, will ask many more questions of the Shearer-inspired mini-revival. Compact, hard to beat and defensively sound, they have conceded only 18 goals on their travels all season. Taylor will gain heart by the opposing statistic – that they have only scored ten and won two away from Craven Cottage.

Either way, he believes that fearing what others can do is part of the reason Newcastle have found themselves in so much trouble in the first place.

“Fulham might be harder, but we’re relying on ourselves,” he said.

“We’ve to give a bit more, we know how much it means for our futures, we don’t want to be Championship players, we are Premiership players and that is how we want it to stay.”

Charlie Nicholas on SSN saying he's happy we won on Monday, then slating the players for what they're saying.

Says there's no respect for previous managers, that JK will need another operation after Taylor's comments.

Says it's appauling that the players are saying they're enjoying it despite there only being one win. Christ :lol:

I doubt there will be many posts in the "Players in public" thread anymore.

Orwellian image works for Toon boss Shearer

May 16 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

*snip*

haha thats hilarious  :lol:

Guest LucaAltieri

I think Big Al got it wrong today.

1) The players just looked knackered. I know fitness is important and some players need bringing up to scratch, but when it has an negative affect on the players' performance on a Saturday then you've gone too far the other way.

2) Starting Martins isn't using him to his full effect. He was important part of changing the game against Boro. He should have been an impact sub again for us today. Instead of coming off the bench and causing problems he just seemed to drift around today.

3) The subs came too late in general.

4) Guthrie isn't a winger and shouldn't have been on the right hand side today but more importantly Guthrie had done far more than Nolan. If subbing a midfielder it's Nolan that should have been taken off.

5) Smith has looked good since coming back. He was surely deserving of a place in the team today, or at the very least coming on instead of Lovenkrands or Carroll. One or the other.

Got the substitution after the sending off wrong today IMO, assuming he's planning on bringing in Colocinni next week to replace Bassong.  Could have quite easily given him the half an hour today to get some sharpness for the game next week rather than just throw him in next week, particularly seeing as we were already losing the game.

He backs off far too much when defending as a full back, but it does give him the opportunity to come forward which he does a lot (too much for a centre half) when he has the ball.  Give him an opportunity as a centre forward next year, we could unearth the new Chris Sutton :cheesy:!

I had a bad feeling as soon as I saw that Oba was starting and I said it in the pre-match thread. He'd have been a handy ace in the pack as a sub against a tiring defence, to pitch him in for 90 mins half fit was a mistake.

I had a bad feeling as soon as I saw that Oba was starting and I said it in the pre-match thread. He'd have been a handy ace in the pack as a sub against a tiring defence, to pitch him in for 90 mins half fit was a mistake.

Unfortunately a mystery injury for our club captain when we really needed a captains performance from him limited our options today.

Unfortunately a mystery injury for our club captain when we really needed a captains performance from him limited our options today.

We could have started with Lovenkrands like quite a few were suggesting. I just think that would have panned out better.

Honestly...do you really think Owen would have changed the game? No fucking way

Sir Bobby Robson helping Big Al battle drop

May 19 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

ALAN SHEARER has revealed he would never turn down advice from his former manager Sir Bobby Robson.

Going into Sunday’s do-or-die battle with Aston Villa, Shearer admits that he has been happy to use Sir Bobby as a mentor, with the ex-England boss famous for keeping Newcastle afloat in the 1999/2000 season.

Back then, Robson saved the Magpies after taking over in September with the side at the foot of the table.

But he turned things round to lead Newcastle to a respectable 11th-place finish.

Shearer’s managerial challenge on Tyneside has been a different kettle of fish, though, and he knew he had just eight games to save the Magpies. That tally is down to one but, speaking on Sir Bobby, ironically ahead of the same fixture in which Robson lost his job after he axed Shearer in a 4-2 loss to Villa in 2004, Shearer told the Chronicle: “Yes, I do speak to Bobby on a regular basis.

“We speak to each other after games and before games.

“He has given me little bits here and there, which is great for a manager.

“It’s nice to speak to him, of course.”

knows that United could go down with even a win against Villa.

But Sunder-land’s loss at Portsmouth on the south coast means that the 3-1 defeat for the Black Cats could yet see the Wearsiders sucked into the bottom three if they lose at home to rampant Chelsea, while Manchester United will be sending a team with plenty to play for against Hull City with Champions League places up for grabs in Rome.

Shearer, though, wants his own side to start well at Villa Park, unlike the 1-0 defeat against Fulham.

Shearer said: “When you don’t start well it is difficult to pick things up.

“After the sending off of Sebastien Bassong we seemed to pick things up.

“We gave it a right good go after that.”

And Shearer says the nail-biting finish is typical of the Magpies.

He said: “It would be wrong of Newcastle to do it before the last game of the season wouldn’t it?

“It’s going to go down to the last game.

“Your emotions are up in doubt without a doubt but we will give it a good go at the weekend.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/19/sir-bobby-robson-helping-big-al-battle-drop-72703-23659077/

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article2440083.ece

Al will be Shear to stay

ALAN SHEARER has given the strongest hint yet that he is staying at Newcastle.

The stand-in Toon boss has ordered the whole squad to report to the training ground for two days after the end of the season.

Shearer’s eight-week contract is due to expire on Monday but he has made it clear to his players he expects to see them then and again on Tuesday — whether Newcastle stay up or not.

The Geordies face a crunch trip to Aston Villa on Sunday knowing they have to better Hull’s result at home to champions Manchester United to save themselves from the drop.

A number of the squad have had to re-arrange holidays as a result of the manager’s edict.

But a club insider told SunSport: “Alan has said everyone must be in and, although he hasn’t said why, it seems to mean he is staying on.

“A lot of the players think he will definitely stay if Newcastle go down because he will feel a responsibility to get them back up again, whereas if they survive Shearer could still walk away saying he has done his job.

“But all the indications are that he is in it for the long term provided he gets money to spend in the summer. Nobody expects Joe Kinnear to be back in charge.”

However, Shearer’s right-hand man Iain Dowie insisted the focus was only on getting a result at Villa.

The former QPR boss said: “I have said all along we have taken decisions that are right for the long-term of this club.

“I think maybe that has been perceived as we’re staying for the long-term but I don’t think that’s the case. Alan came to me and said ‘It’s an eight-week job’. As far as I’m aware those eight weeks end on Monday.

“For now, all our focus is on keeping the club in the Premier League. If we do go down, it won’t be for lack of trying.

“The hours that we’ve put in have been frightening. If hard work gets you anywhere, Alan should keep us up.”

Newcastle will leave a decision on whether to risk starting with Michael Owen at Villa until the last minute. The Toon skipper missed Saturday’s home defeat against Fulham with a groin injury.

Dowie said: “Michael’s scan was positive, so we’re hopeful.”

He backs off far too much when defending as a full back, but it does give him the opportunity to come forward which he does a lot (too much for a centre half) when he has the ball.  Give him an opportunity as a centre forward next year, we could unearth the new Chris Sutton :cheesy:!

he was a centre forward before he started playing for newcastle