Ryan Taylor/Nolan

Guest K9

Are these two + Lovenkrands the worst 3 signings as a group since that phase we went through when we signed Pearce, Barnes & Rush.

They were signed for the wrong reasons based on nationality and bargain value rather than quality. Would Keegan or Bobby Robson have signed them on that basis?

The last transfer window doesn't even touch Boumsong/Babayaro/Faye. Not only were all three complete and utter shit, but arguably the repercussions of their signings resonate with the club even today.

The players that were mentioned above, could it be that we do not have a decent manager to bring out the best of them? Surely that must be one of the key contributing factors to it as well.

Admittedly, when Keegan was around, Viduka and Geremi did deliver the goods.

The players that were mentioned above, could it be that we do not have a decent manager to bring out the best of them? Surely that must be one of the key contributing factors to it as well.

Admittedly, when Keegan was around, Viduka and Geremi did deliver the goods.

One more year of wear and tear on those old bones sapped out whatever juice Viduka or Geremi had left. They're both finished.

Geremi in particular: it staggers me when I hear anyone suggest he be included in the team. There are Nicky Butt levels of unfitness, and then there are 06-07 Steven Carr levels of unfitness. Every time I've seen him this season he's been perilously close to the latter.

When Nolan was signed, I said that the fact that Bolton were prepared to release him for the fee paid indicated to me that they thought they had seen the best of him, and they had reasons for letting him go apart from the money - I still believe that, and his performances since have borne out the fact that he is nothing like the player he was about 2-3 years ago...

As far as R. Taylor is concerned, he is a player that falls between 2 stools, neither a RB or a LMF player ; in the past, players such as Madeley at Leeds were able to fulfill several roles in the team because they had enough ability to do so - Taylor clearly hasn't and was signed, in my opinion, on the rounds of price and the fact that he had scored two free-kick goals against NUFC....both of these facts being an indictment of the club's scouting AND buying policies.

KK would have signed NEITHER of these`players and neither would SBR...which is another illustration of why Kinnear & Co are at NUFC......

When Nolan was signed, I said that the fact that Bolton were prepared to release him for the fee paid indicated to me that they thought they had seen the best of him, and they had reasons for letting him go apart from the money - I still believe that, and his performances since have borne out the fact that he is nothing like the player he was about 2-3 years ago...

As far as R. Taylor is concerned, he is a player that falls between 2 stools, neither a RB or a LMF player ; in the past, players such as Madeley at Leeds were able to fulfill several roles in the team because they had enough ability to do so - Taylor clearly hasn't and was signed, in my opinion, on the rounds of price and the fact that he had scored two free-kick goals against NUFC....both of these facts being an indictment of the club's scouting AND buying policies.

KK would have signed NEITHER of these`players and neither would SBR...which is another illustration of why Kinnear & Co are at NUFC......

KK would have most likely vetoed such moves, just as he did on the final day of the Jan transfer window - last season - when he quashed a couple of Wise's incoming transfers, one of which involved a Brazilian central defender from Spanish club Getafe.

At the time KK declared that while he was manager he wouldn't sign players he deemed 'were not good enough to play fro Newcastle United'. Although it was early in his short reign, imo this was the first indication that were cracks appearing in the respective ideologies of how Keegan has handled transfer matters in the past and that of our new direction undertaken - in the area of player recruitment - under the Ashley Regime. This early warning given by Keegan imo acted as the catalyst as to why certain moves, for players Keegan didn't want, occurred over his head in the transfer market during the Summer window. He even lost operating control with respect to coaching appointments & departures as well.

Besides, we're writing off Nolan way too quickly. People didn't have much bad to say about him before his suspension, and two of his three post-suspension matches have been against Arsenal and Chelsea.

I suspect he still has an important role to play in our run-in, particularly with Guthrie out.

It is funny that people are so quick to write off these two who have only just joined & played in some hard games. Yet the guy who actually managed to lose us the game last sat & has had all season to adjust, is clearly having "confidence" issues and probably has potential (Based on nothing).

Even though he hasnt proved himself to have any ability atall in this league & the other two have. HE must be the only one whos lack of confidence is affecting his game. Couldnt possibly effect one of our new signings who has a great weight of expectation on him...far more than colo ever experiences...every time he steps up to take a set piece, as that was probably the only reason we bought him. Has also already stated endlessly the position he wants to play in which is consistantly ignored.

No no, poor colo. Lets not make him a scapegoat.

:thup:

Besides, we're writing off Nolan way too quickly. People didn't have much bad to say about him before his suspension, and two of his three post-suspension matches have been against Arsenal and Chelsea.

I suspect he still has an important role to play in our run-in, particularly with Guthrie out.

Uh, Guthrie's fine.

Uh, Guthrie's fine.

Really?

Hallelujah  :celb:

IS Guthrie alright?  We need him

Richard Money reckons they took him off as a precaution on Monday night.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1615334,00.html

Thtas great, I reckon Shearer is going 433 this weekend, with what he's been saying about

A)Andy Carroll

B)Not Being Able to Create Chances

C)We'll get beat if we play 442 with butt and Nolan central again

D)He's a fucking genius

Guest The Libertine

we could have paid £5 million for bullard like a lot of people wanted. THAT would have been a bad deal.

Guest toonlass

we could have paid £5 million for bullard like a lot of people wanted. THAT would have been a bad deal.

Which people were they?

Guest The Libertine

Which people were they?

dont know names but if you look back, plenty of people on here wanted him.

Which people were they?

Two wrongs don't make a right. Would Robson or Keegan have bought talentless clodders like Nolan and taylor? The answer is no, because they believed in carpet football and for that you need players who like the ball played to feet and have some ability to pass and move well. These are Joe Kinnear signings and plenty of people here were dreading him being given transfer funds for this very reason.

Which people were they?

Two wrongs don't make a right. Would Robson or Keegan have bought talentless clodders like Nolan and taylor? The answer is no, because they believed in carpet football and for that you need players who like the ball played to feet and have some ability to pass and move well. These are Joe Kinnear signings and plenty of people here were dreading him being given transfer funds for this very reason.

:D

Which people were they?

:D

It's an SBR expression and if it's good enough for him... O0