Tottenham Hotspur vs Newcastle United | Sun 19th Apr - White Hart Lane @ 1:30pm

Kaizero

Viduka needs to play at least 90 minutes of reserve action before he can even be considered imo. To much of a risk, with so much at risk.

Sounds risky.

Very risky!  ;D

Maybe something like this....

Harper

Beye     Bassong     Edgar/Taylor (If fit)   Enrique

Jonas          Guthrie        Duff

Owen

Carroll       Martins

With Viduka on the bench as an 'impact' sub. Can't see Shearer dropping both Nolan and Butt unfortunately, but I think we should go for broke and play someone in that hole which caused Spurs problems last year when we played them. Whether that person be Owen or Jonas, who I would like to see given a go there.

That's not really how we played last year though. 

I don't think it would work with Jonas and Duff, last year Beye and Enrique got forward and the midfield was fairly narrow (and defensive) with Butt, Barton and Geremi.  Jonas and Duff are too offensive and play with too much width to fit in to that formation, the midfield needs to be defensive minded for it to work, IMO.

I don't think it would work with Jonas and Duff, last year Beye and Enrique got forward and the midfield was fairly narrow (and defensive) with Butt, Barton and Geremi.  Jonas and Duff are too offensive and play with too much width to fit in to that formation, the midfield needs to be defensive minded for it to work, IMO.

Yeah, I thought that it looked possibly too attacking with Jonas and Duff. In that case I'd rather do it with Jonas in the hole behind Owen and Carrol and have Martins and Viduka on the bench for impact in the Second Half. Possibly with a midfield three of R.Taylor, Butt/Nolan (take your pick) and Guthrie.  I'm not 100% on how we played it last year, but we have to explore the possibility of playing that system again as it worked so well against them.

Yeah, I thought that it looked possibly too attacking with Jonas and Duff. In that case I'd rather do it with Jonas in the hole behind Owen and Carrol and have Martins and Viduka on the bench for impact in the Second Half. Possibly with a midfield three of R.Taylor, Butt/Nolan (take your pick) and Guthrie.  I'm not 100% on how we played it last year, but we have to explore the possibility of playing that system again as it worked so well against them.

Same.

Shearer could practically use the same personnel as well though.

Barton-Butt-Geremi (07/08)

Guthrie-Butt-Geremi (08/09)

Those two are fairly similar, IMO, as Guthrie and Barton are fairly matched in terms of mobility and passing ability.

Question is whether it would work without Enrique as well.  :undecided:

Guest GAMMELL

F*ck Mystic Meg! I think this will be a 1-1 draw, can see us nicking an early goal, we'll be on the back foot for the remainder of the game with the scummy f*ckers nabbing an equaliser.  :doh:

In this 4-3-1-2 formation, I really do think it could work with a midfield trio of: Guthrie---Butt---Nolan.

Butt's defensive minded while Nolan doesn't attack for us (Tbh, I don't know what he does) and in Guthrie at least we'd have someone who can pass a ball. That formation would work so well with someone like Palacios instead of Butt or Nolan, imo...

Same.

Shearer could practically use the same personnel as well though.

Barton-Butt-Geremi (07/08)

Guthrie-Butt-Geremi (08/09)

Those two are fairly similar, IMO, as Guthrie and Barton are fairly matched in terms of mobility and passing ability.

Question is whether it would work without Enrique as well.  :undecided:

Aye, I'm not sure what Edgar is like bombing forward if we play him on the left. He has some pace but he's never played enough to judge what he's like in crossing positions.

I think jonas could have a field day with spurs being so forward minded.

My team would be as follows:

Harper

Beye              Taylor                Edgar              Bassong

Butt

Guthrie                            Jonas

Owen              Martins

Viduka

Spurs are dangerous wide and in the hole which is why i would go for a standard CM in guthrie, a 'DM' in Butt (if i could guarantee a repeat stoke performance), a worker and runner in Jonas, then a lone striker in viduka bringing in martins jonas and owen on the counter. Martins had a cracker on the counter here last season and since i expect spurs to go gung ho i expect another cracker. If these names (bar viduka cos of injury maybe) are on the team sheet i will go into the game with a lot of confidence.

Spurs are a team whose midfield often get well separated from the defence which was the reason for our victory last season. Palacios and Huddlestone will make up for this a bit and that is why we will need to be clinical going forward. I feel shearer is good at selecting teams, ie leaving jonas till late against a big, long ball team, and so hopefully he will neglect nolan and raylor, who for me both have average to poor distribution, especially in terms of being able to make split second decisions to pass a ball and i doubt we will be able to beat spurs with long build up plays. We need guys who as soon as they pick the ball up just on the edge of our area, thump it wide to jonas or oba, or down the middle to owen, or longer to a big man.

I think jonas could have a field day with spurs being so forward minded.

My team would be as follows:

Harper

Beye               Taylor                Edgar              Bassong

Butt

Guthrie                             Jonas

Owen              Martins

Viduka

Spurs are dangerous wide and in the hole which is why i would go for a standard CM in guthrie, a 'DM' in Butt (if i could guarantee a repeat stoke performance), a worker and runner in Jonas, then a lone striker in viduka bringing in martins jonas and owen on the counter. Martins had a cracker on the counter here last season and since i expect spurs to go gung ho i expect another cracker. If these names (bar viduka cos of injury maybe) are on the team sheet i will go into the game with a lot of confidence.

Spurs are a team whose midfield often get well separated from the defence which was the reason for our victory last season. Palacios and Huddlestone will make up for this a bit and that is why we will need to be clinical going forward. I feel shearer is good at selecting teams, ie leaving jonas till late against a big, long ball team, and so hopefully he will neglect nolan and raylor, who for me both have average to poor distribution, especially in terms of being able to make split second decisions to pass a ball and i doubt we will be able to beat spurs with long build up plays. We need guys who as soon as they pick the ball up just on the edge of our area, thump it wide to jonas or oba, or down the middle to owen, or longer to a big man.

I agree with this part, listening to Shearer one of aspects of management he really seems to focus on is assessing the threats other teams possess, something I don't think Kinnear even attempted to do.

i always think if you are the best team then you should set up how you want to, without thinking about the opposition. But clearly we are not, so to not look at the opposition at all is just stupid. I mean if i was SAF, then i would only slighlty contemplate changing team selection against pool, chelsea, or arsenal.

Agreed, under Keegan and SBR we didn't regularly have to change our team because we were better than most teams in the league, but when you're down where we are every point counts and you have to look at the other teams threats in greater detail.

Guest neesy111

may as well play geremi, at least he can pass the ball and has a good cross from open play and is no slower than butt tbh

Posted it in his thread, but Oba was in full training today (along with Xisco, you fucker Pilko). So it's only Joey and Jose missing from the first-team pool, barring any late setbacks.

I am foaming at the gash for Sunday now like.

I didn't forget him actually (dunno if you saw my earlier post on the squad status in here), but it appears everyone at the club has done!

If he kicks a ball for us again this season I'll eat my own poo.

I didn't forget him actually (dunno if you saw my earlier post on the squad status in here), but it appears everyone at the club has done!

If he kicks a ball for us again this season I'll eat my own poo.

:razz: