Joey Barton

JJ7

Guthrie is our best midfielder.

Nonsense, he was s*** against Cardiff, did much less than Barton.

Comes on and provides an assist and he's the best midfielder at the club? Drivel.

Drivel? You are a complete idiot.  Who said I was basing it on the last game?  **** me.  :facepalm:

So far this season Guthrie has been our best midfielder I can't see how anyone would say otherwise (see edit!).  All these Barton lovers are just idiots, he had three decent games under Keegan and has done nothing else in a NUFC shirt.

Guthrie and Smith is our best central midfield partnership and Barton will be lucky to scrape a place on the RW ahead of Geremi who is also better than him at the moment (hardly a great situation for our 'best midfielder' to be in is it?)

Edit- Forgot about Smith, Guthrie is our best attacking minded midfielder I should say.  Certainly ahead of Barton anyway.

Anyway, I see you didn't even mention Smith but compared Guthrie's performances to Barton.  Do you honestly think Barton is our best midfielder?  :mackems:

Guthrie looked out of his depth in the premiership, Barton put in numerous motm performances for Man City. Therefore, him being a worse player than Guthrie, from an objective point of view, is drivel.

That was a long long time ago now mind. I'd like to think he was still the same player, but I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest he is, in fact I cannot believe how far backwards he has gone since he came here, as yesterday was as bad a performance as I've seen from a Newcastle midfielder.....and I'm going back to people like Heard, Hodges and Oates.

I've been genuinely disappointed with him ever since we signed him, his attitude has been atrocious and his performances below par.  He had a few reasonably good games in the premiership, but never enough to make me think he was a worthwhile signing.

I'd like to see him dropped to be honest, it may give him the kick up the arse he needs to improve his performances!

Being played out of position is no excuse for constantly misplacing passes and being caught in possession. Using the "on paper" argument and saying Barton's our best midfielder based on his Man City form is as relevant as saying it of Butt based on his Man Utd days.

Apologies.

Really, we should be looking at going old school like we tried with Parker Emre and have one who likes to go forward and can score you goals, this would be Guthrie, and one just at the back breaking stuff up.

Apologies.

Really, we should be looking at going old school like we tried with Parker Emre and have one who likes to go forward and can score you goals, this would be Guthrie, and one just at the back breaking stuff up.

How is that old school btw?

Apologies.

Old school for us, I think he means.

Apologies.

You can be quite the annoying little twerp can't you.

Strictly speaking I remember it in earliest incarnation with Lee and Batty.

Apologies.

:lol:

Apologies.

Strictly speaking I remember it in earliest incarnation with Lee and Batty.

:lol: Twerp is a shit sounding word man, surely you could of called him something better than that?

Being played out of position is no excuse for constantly misplacing passes and being caught in possession. Using the "on paper" argument and saying Barton's our best midfielder based on his Man City form is as relevant as saying it of Butt based on his Man Utd days.

No its not, thats just a stupid thing to say. His 2007 opta stats were about the best for his club and he had some great games under Keegan. Drawing a parallel to Butt tells me you havent applied a single ounce of logic to that post. 2 seasons ago for a 27 year old or 8 seasons ago for a 35 year old? Yes in a game where physical peak is meant to occur around the ages of 26-28, they are equivalent.

You must be pissed.

His passing has been markably better than those around him and his cross yesterday for Nolan was very good.

Danny Guthrie? I agree. We were talking about Joey Barton though.

Danny Guthrie has NOT proven himself at premiership level either.

His passing has been markably better than those around him and his cross yesterday for Nolan was very good.

We aren't playing there. And Guthrie looked good for Bolton.

He looked ok when he played. Nothing more.

Did well at SJP in the nil nil draw. He's like Jonas, and like any good player we sign, he needs lads around him of similar quality, lads that will make runs, move into space for him to pass into. We could sign Kaka, and he wouldn't be able to perform at his highest level for that very reason.  I give Carroll and Ranger credit, they made some decent runs for him to pop balls into the channel, but as I said with players like Smith it's going to be useless in the top league unless we play that 4-5-1 and just have Smith sitting in front of the defence.

No its not, thats just a stupid thing to say. His 2007 opta stats were about the best for his club and he had some great games under Keegan. Drawing a parallel to Butt tells me you havent applied a single ounce of logic to that post. 2 seasons ago for a 27 year old or 8 seasons ago for a 35 year old? Yes in a game where physical peak is meant to occur around the ages of 26-28, they are equivalent.

You must be pissed.

Great games under Keegan? Not sure about that, he had some good games certainly in that little run we went on but I'd expect a central midfielder of his billing to look more than quite good in three or four games since he got here two seasons ago. I know he's been injured as well as his other problems but he's shown consistently the same flaws all along on the field. I reckon you can probably count on one hand the amount of 8/10+ games Barton has had for NUFC. If we're making comparisons, Guthrie's been far better in black and white.

How many times did you watch him play for Bolton? Same goes for Nixon.

Aye Towelie, benching him is probably the best solution at the moment. Its clear that some of the support doesnt have a lot of patience for him (understandably), he needs to sort it out sooner rather than later.

patience ?. he's been here over 2 years and has rarely played better than ok,thats when he's not injured or in prison, he's at an age regarded as being his peek and his performances are going backwards and he doesn't look bothered.

i think 2 years of patience is as much as should be expected,dont you ?

You must be pissed.

Great games under Keegan? Not sure about that, he had some good games certainly in that little run we went on but I'd expect a central midfielder of his billing to look more than quite good in three or four games since he got here two seasons ago. I know he's been injured as well as his other problems but he's shown consistently the same flaws all along on the field. I reckon you can probably count on one hand the amount of 8/10+ games Barton has had for NUFC. If we're making comparisons, Guthrie's been far better in black and white.

He was class away at Spurs when we beat them 1-4 and was a pivotal part of the 4-3-3 formation playing on the left. He was the best player on the pitch when we beat West Brom at home last season too. Am no good with this stuff off the top of my head but i dont remember Guthrie being pivotal in a premiership game for us.

Barton has proven premiership class, Guthrie has it all ahead of him and still needs to prove he can take control of a game at that level. I'd say that Guthrie is a fantastic prospect though and could easily have a better career than Barton for obvious reasons.

Dave, I probably saw him once or twice in a Bolton shirt, nothing more.

After watching Barton once again play a crap game for us I can't think why on earth anyone would stick up for him, he might have been OK for Man City, that was then, this is now. He couldn't give a shit, he's petulant and overpaid, what's to argue about FFS? Remember we're talking about now, there's no point in talking about how he USED to be, that was before his major fall from grace, and he's a changed player, he's crap now, simple as that.