Joey Barton

JJ7

I absolutely love the bloke.

What is it you love about him, the constantly getting caught in possession, the ever lengthening injury list or the red cards and jail time?

England ffs. Even Rooney didn't lose the ball in the World Cup more than this arsehole did in the Championship. Shola's got more chance of a cap.

I agree with your questioning of why on earth anyone would "absolutely love" Joey Barton due to the limited amount of impact he's had on the field for us, but that second statement is a load of shite. The guy barely played last season, and when he did his vision and passing was superb at times. Certainly wasn't constantly being caught in possession.

He was absolutely woeful last season in his fleeting appearances.

The game before he got injured, nufc.com wrote:

"Barton was similarly culpable, losing possession on every occasion that he got near the ball and also seeming to cuff an opponent unnecessarily. Having failed to be the player who took the team by the scruff of the neck and kept us up, his displays thus far in this league haven't provided reassurance that he's going to lead us back up by example."

and the game he got injured in, they wrote:

"And once again the performance of Barton left something to be desired, with a pedestrian-looking midfield hardly helped by the presence of Geremi (or Butt, had he appeared). Quite simply, we weren't getting enough balls or bodies into the box to play the percentage game and pressurise the opposition into errors."

One person's opinion but that's certainly the way I remember it. I suspect posts on here from the same timeframe would back me up.

EDIT: they would indeed. http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,64600.330.html Even Ronaldo said he was shit in the CCC to that point so God only knows what he's done since then to turn his opinion round seeing as he's been on the pitch for all of 3 games in a side that had already won the title.

DOUBLE EDIT: go back to page 27 onwards of this thread for more.

I absolutely love the bloke.

What is it you love about him, the constantly getting caught in possession, the ever lengthening injury list or the red cards and jail time?

England ffs. Even Rooney didn't lose the ball in the World Cup more than this arsehole did in the Championship. Shola's got more chance of a cap.

I agree with your questioning of why on earth anyone would "absolutely love" Joey Barton due to the limited amount of impact he's had on the field for us, but that second statement is a load of shite. The guy barely played last season, and when he did his vision and passing was superb at times. Certainly wasn't constantly being caught in possession.

He was absolutely woeful last season in his fleeting appearances.

The game before he got injured, nufc.com wrote:

"Barton was similarly culpable, losing possession on every occasion that he got near the ball and also seeming to cuff an opponent unnecessarily. Having failed to be the player who took the team by the scruff of the neck and kept us up, his displays thus far in this league haven't provided reassurance that he's going to lead us back up by example."

and the game he got injured in, they wrote:

"And once again the performance of Barton left something to be desired, with a pedestrian-looking midfield hardly helped by the presence of Geremi (or Butt, had he appeared). Quite simply, we weren't getting enough balls or bodies into the box to play the percentage game and pressurise the opposition into errors."

One person's opinion but that's certainly the way I remember it. I suspect posts on here from the same timeframe would back me up.

EDIT: they would indeed. http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,64600.330.html  Even Ronaldo said he was shit in the CCC to that point so God only knows what he's done since then to turn his opinion round seeing as he's been on the pitch for all of 3 games in a side that had already won the title.

DOUBLE EDIT: go back to page 27 onwards of this thread for more.

I can only go by what I saw of him last season, and based on what I saw, woeful is over the top. He didn't set the world alight up down there, that's for sure, but I certainly didn't think he was woeful. He does however always look painfully slow when returning from injury.

Being played out of position :lol: He's right footed, and prefers to play central midfield. Being played on the right doesn't give him an excuse to misplace a 5 yard pass as he did on many occassions at the start of last season. I do however think he was carrying an injury, as he got treatment in just about every game and never looked comfortable before finally admitting it was fucked and getting surgery. Just my opinion though.

Guest firetotheworks

He looked very poor being played out of position before getting injured in September/October.

Was it enough for me to change my opinion of him? No, i've always rated him. 

I don't think I've ever known you to change your opinion of any player tbh.

Guest firetotheworks

What's that based on? If you mean his form when he was at Man City then you could say the same for someone like Michael Johnson.

He was clearly carrying an injury at the start of last season.

The upside from Barton's potential is about the highest of anyone's in the squad. I still doubt his temperament and fitness but given he can get those sorted then he should turn in some decent performances next season.

What's that based on? If you mean his form when he was at Man City then you could say the same for someone like Michael Johnson.

Yes you could.

I don't mean he's as good as Gerrard et al, but he's arguably good enough to get into the Villa and Everton teams.

Although people are right to say it has been a long time since he played up to his potential.

Guest schmuck

Of course it's bollocks, I doubt Barton even truly believes it himself, but Hughton isn't percieved as a 'proper' manager by a lot of people and talking about him in these terms helps solidify something of a reputation for him

• 2 weeks later...

Barton's comments about the game last night:

"I don’t know if that one quite counts as winning a big trophy - it was great for the fans who came over here, though. It’s more about the fitness side of it – we got what we needed and, from a selfish point of view, it was nice to get 90 minutes. My legs are a bit tired and I had cramp at the end, but it was good to come through it, and it was good little penalty shoot-out by the end.

"To be honest, the first one was a lousy penalty. I was tired by that time and I thought I could get the rebound. But as I slid for it my leg just locked up and cramp kicked in.

"Once I had a little stretch I knew I’d be up for the second one. As they headed for the centre circle I told the lads to try to get it over before the fifth penalty. But they never and left me with a bit of pressure. It would have been unfortunate to miss two. But it was happy days really by the end.

“I would do the job again if asked, but I think Peter Lovenkrands is the best penalty taker at the club. He was desperate to get the first one but I was desperate to get a goal because it’s pre-season. I just felt confident and I was on set plays – it was a bit Roy of the Rovers really.

"I missed the first one and looked a bit stupid. But I got the chance to redeem myself and knocked the fifth one in to win it. The lads will give me stick but I have some back-up. We got told that this cup means a lot to this club and you can see why – it’s a magnificent trophy. They were desperate to win it. It sounds crazy but they really wanted to win it.”

"We came with a game plan and got what we needed out of it. It’s always disappointing not to win in regulation time but we won on pens. With better finishing, or if I’d knocked the first penalty in, we could have won it, but at least everybody came through it injury-free. Now we’ve got Rangers and then Man United, so this was a good test.

"The Depor fans were passionate which is what you want. There’s nothing worse than playing in an empty stadium – it affects the players when it’s like that.”

"It was semi-competitive, but when you touched their players they were rolling around like fairies.It was frustrating – we had a Spanish referee and he was clamping down on fouls.We have a go at players for diving but it’s rife here.

"It’s their way of playing, but what we were saying to the ref was that they put in some quite naughty challenges. The fact that we didn’t roll or fall on the floor and didn’t make a meal of it meant we weren’t getting free-kicks. It is what it is, and it was a good experience and the lads who haven’t played have had a taste of playing in Europe now.

Barton's comments about the game last night:

"I don’t know if that one quite counts as winning a big trophy - it was great for the fans who came over here, though. It’s more about the fitness side of it – we got what we needed and, from a selfish point of view, it was nice to get 90 minutes. My legs are a bit tired and I had cramp at the end, but it was good to come through it, and it was good little penalty shoot-out by the end.

"To be honest, the first one was a lousy penalty. I was tired by that time and I thought I could get the rebound. But as I slid for it my leg just locked up and cramp kicked in.

"Once I had a little stretch I knew I’d be up for the second one. As they headed for the centre circle I told the lads to try to get it over before the fifth penalty. But they never and left me with a bit of pressure. It would have been unfortunate to miss two. But it was happy days really by the end.

“I would do the job again if asked, but I think Peter Lovenkrands is the best penalty taker at the club. He was desperate to get the first one but I was desperate to get a goal because it’s pre-season. I just felt confident and I was on set plays – it was a bit Roy of the Rovers really.

"I missed the first one and looked a bit stupid. But I got the chance to redeem myself and knocked the fifth one in to win it. The lads will give me stick but I have some back-up. We got told that this cup means a lot to this club and you can see why – it’s a magnificent trophy. They were desperate to win it. It sounds crazy but they really wanted to win it.”

"We came with a game plan and got what we needed out of it. It’s always disappointing not to win in regulation time but we won on pens. With better finishing, or if I’d knocked the first penalty in, we could have won it, but at least everybody came through it injury-free. Now we’ve got Rangers and then Man United, so this was a good test.

"The Depor fans were passionate which is what you want. There’s nothing worse than playing in an empty stadium – it affects the players when it’s like that.”

"It was semi-competitive, but when you touched their players they were rolling around like fairies.It was frustrating – we had a Spanish referee and he was clamping down on fouls.We have a go at players for diving but it’s rife here.

"It’s their way of playing, but what we were saying to the ref was that they put in some quite naughty challenges. The fact that we didn’t roll or fall on the floor and didn’t make a meal of it meant we weren’t getting free-kicks. It is what it is, and it was a good experience and the lads who haven’t played have had a taste of playing in Europe now.

He's class wor Joey.

Nasri thanks Barton influence  :lol:

"During one of my first matches in England, we played Newcastle and Barton tried to intimidate me. It definitely made me a better player," admitted Nasri to France Football.

"The Premier League demands a lot of effort because there is so much intensity and you can't cheat.

"Since that day, I have improved a lot. Thank you Mr Barton!"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6304174,00.html

"During one of my first matches in England, we played Newcastle and Barton tried to intimidate me. It definitely made me a better player," admitted Nasri to France Football.

"The Premier League demands a lot of effort because there is so much intensity and you can't cheat.

wtf

Guest Heneage

I seem to remember he went on like a child after Barton put in a tough tackle, which ended in him tripping Barton up. Hate the little cunt to this day.

Thank you Mr Barton for giving Nasri a good kicking! :lol: