Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Guest Mantis

I'm starting to have unrealistic hope on Forster.

I'd like to see him given a chance in our 1st team.  Would be nice to think him and Krul could be the future.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Don't think I've ever been more angry at a player as I was when that happened. Fucking idiot.

2nd, 3rd, or 4th goal?  He's not even mediocre anymore, struggle to think of any worse keepers in the league other than Kingson.

Guest MrSundlofer

No need for Harper to leave. Forster returns in the summer = Forster and Krul to fight for the first team place, one of them to be sent out on loan. Harper with his experience stays as a backup.

Guest BooBoo

No need for Harper to leave. Forster returns in the summer = Forster and Krul to fight for the first team place, one of them to be sent out on loan. Harper with his experience stays as a backup.

Harper has to go ffs, he's got nothing to offer at this level.

Harper has to go ffs, he's got nothing to offer at this level.

He's one level below joining Charlie Carrolies clown circus. Fucking useless bastard.

Guest Rey Mysterio

I've said it before but our keeper warm ups are fucking pathetic. They just piss about with a ball for half an hour before the game. Not making any excuses for Harper as his performance today was embarrassing but it's an area that needs improving.

i think he's had some decent games recently but simply dreadful today. It may end up that none of Haprer, Foster or Krul are good enough for us next season, though I wouldn't want to write any of them off just yet. Think Harper should be fighting tooth and nail for his first XI status from now until the end of the season.

I'm starting to have unrealistic hope on Forster.

I'd like to see him given a chance in our 1st team.  Would be nice to think him and Krul could be the future.

To be honest, I am not impressed by Krul either.

Guest toonlass

Fucking shameful and ridiculous lampooning of Harper over one game.

Thinking that we'd do fine immediately replacing him with Krul isn't even stupidity, it's blindness.

It wasn't that long ago that Krul was being slated on the board and some people were saying "Harper wouldn't let in goals like that" and "we would have won with Harper in goal". Football opinions change very, very quickly!

Guest Stephen927

Could he be any more flatfooted for Higgonbothams freekick? He's done it a few times this season, if he doesn't think he'll get there, he just won't bother.

Yesterday was a bad day for him, he needs to now put it behind him because I doubt Pardew will put Krul in for Wolves.

f***ing shameful and ridiculous lampooning of Harper over one game.

Thinking that we'd do fine immediately replacing him with Krul isn't even stupidity, it's blindness.

It's not just one game though. It's becoming a regular occurence every week.

Guest BooBoo

As previously stated, in the last 3 games he's been clearly at fault for goals. You just can't have that at this level as we haven't got the firepower to score 2 or 3 each game to make up for individual errors costing us goals.

As previously stated, in the last 3 games he's been clearly at fault for goals. You just can't have that at this level as we haven't got the firepower to score 2 or 3 each game to make up for individual errors costing us goals.

That seems to be our problem atm no goals at one end and leaking at the other ,Harper cannot remain no1 next season but until or when we are hopefully safe from relegation he will remain in the team cos of his experience rather than quality and this might be our undoing ,thread should be called Pub goalie imho as he was pathetic yesterday .

Could he be any more flatfooted for Higgonbothams freekick? He's done it a few times this season, if he doesn't think he'll get there, he just won't bother.

Yesterday was a bad day for him, he needs to now put it behind him because I doubt Pardew will put Krul in for Wolves.

didn't organise the wall properly either.  At first glance it appeared to contain more Stoke players than ours.  It probably didn't, but I was nearly falling asleep by that point last night.

f***ing shameful and ridiculous lampooning of Harper over one game.

It's not just one game though. It's becoming a regular occurence every week.

No it hasn't, but do continue reinventing history to suit your views.

Not like I can stop you or change anybodies mind.

Fucking shameful and ridiculous lampooning of Harper over one game.

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/resources/images/1451438/?type=display

I count one or perhaps two in the last 3 games.

Guest Loven11

Steve Harper is Newcastle's equivalent of a fine wine, and the keeper is planning on a couple more years in between the sticks at St. James' Park.

Harper turned 36 last week, making him the fourth oldest first-choice stopper in the Premier League behind Edwin van der Sar, 40, Brad Friedel, 39, and Mark Schwarzer, 38.

Having spent the early part of his career playing second fiddle to the likes of Pavel Srnicek, Shaka Hislop and Shay Given, the Easington-born keeper has made United's number one spot his own in recent years.

And Harper believes he is getting better with age as he shows no sign of slowing down just yet.

"As a goalkeeper and at 36 you know a lot more than at 26," he told nufc.co.uk.

"I've got some very young, good goalies behind me, so I try and pass on the experiences I've collected over the years.

"Us keepers seem to mature and get better as we get older. It's just from experience as you learn from situations.

"You recognise situations and things develop a little bit earlier. You are probably calmer around the place, and a better communicator."

Manchester United keeper van der Sar has announced he will hang up his gloves at the end of the season, following a glittering career at the very top.

And Harper paid tribute to the Dutchman, insisting he has made the right decision.

"He (van der Sar) is a legend," said Harper.

"He's been outstanding wherever he's been, and I think Sir Alex said he wishes he had signed him in 1999 when (Peter) Schmeichel left. What better compliment than that?

"And to still be doing it week in, week out at 40 is testament to him. I think it's a fantastic decision by him to retire at the top, because he is still very much at the top of his game."

So will Harper follow suit, and play on into his forties?

"No, no chance. Not with my knees," he joked.

"I've got a couple of years left here which will take me to 38, and then after that we'll just see how it goes. But I'm sure van der Sar hasn't got knees like mine!

"But I've done the Level Two of my coaching badge, so I want to get more qualified over the next couple of years and stay in the game once I've retired."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20110323/age-is-no-barrier-for-harper_2281670_2322489