Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

just seen it for the first time. Was fuming listening to the radio thinking it was a foul. Now think Harper's fault, the guy barley touched him

Because he could have met the ball a lot sooner than that by jumping and punching the ball.

Dangerous position to punch, if you misjudge it even a little it could land anywhere. Hes done the right thing.

Of course he did the right thing. We won the game 2-1. Silly me.

Not sure how the ref making a mistake makes it the wrong thing to do. Should fowards only run from very deep instead of breaking the offside trap just incase refs get the decision wrong? Its part of football, you do your bit & you expect them to get it right.

I'd expect my keeper to take everything out there, and like I said, Harper shouldn't have put himself in a position where the ref had to make a decision.

Technically it was a foul, but Harper had to be a lot stronger and more assertive there. Shouldn't have been in a position where he had to give the referee a decision to make because he should have dealt with it.

Spot on.

Hes probably thinking the guys just gonna try to head it & he's gonna be able to catch it above his head as most keepers would. Hes not gonna be expecting an armbar is he.

He cant run towards the ball as its coming down from a good height, he has to wait for it to fall into his hands. He even has to step back a bit. If he tips that over, thats a corner they can score from. He's done the right thing by trying to hold it & we were cheated by the ref.

Still should have dealt with it rather than flapping like a soft twat and expecting a free kick for minimal contact. 

Because he could have met the ball a lot sooner than that by jumping and punching the ball.

Dangerous position to punch, if you misjudge it even a little it could land anywhere. Hes done the right thing.

Of course he did the right thing. We won the game 2-1. Silly me.

you do your bit & you expect them to get it right.

Which Harper didn't do.

It probably was a foul and often that would have been given but Harper has to do more.

Got to get up higher than that.

You cant jump that high when you have no foward step, hes moving backwards

In which case you have to question his positional sense as well then.

This.

The guy has looped it in far to high, thats why none of the defence has gone for it. Harpers standing between the middle and front of the goal, just where he should be as both strikers are on that side.

You can keep goin on, theres no case against him. If there was id be making it, ive no reason to back up Harper.

This.

The guy has looped it in far to high, thats why none of the defence has gone for it. Harpers standing between the middle and front of the goal, just where he should be as both strikers are on that side.

You can keep goin on, theres no case against him. If there was id be making it, ive no reason to back up Harper.

Well you are wrong.

Still should have dealt with it rather than flapping like a soft t*** and expecting a free kick for minimal contact. 

Look at the pictures man, the guy has his bodyweight on his foward arm which is breaking harpers hold on the ball. Thats not minimal contact just because they dont smash heads together, it looks easier than it is.

This.

Come on man, look at the size difference between the two. Harper should have been putting the shitters up him by jumping much sooner than he did, knees up, etc like most keepers would do, and the striker would have thought twice about jumping with him.

Well you are wrong.

Purely because you dont want to be  :lol:

Na, I said he wasn't at fault until I saw it again this evening. It was soft and he has to do more there as I've said a million times.

He has no momentum.

That guy is jumping towards the ball after running at it, Harper has had to compensate for a badly hit cross by moving backwards & so he doesnt have momentum or a good leap on his side. He has no choice but to do it like that.

If you lot rewatched the video and looked at these things individually you'd see theres not much more he can do beyond tip it over or punch it. I understand why he'd want to catch it instead, its good goalkeeping.

He has no momentum.

That guy is jumping towards the ball after running at it, Harper has had to compensate for a badly hit cross by moving backwards & so he doesnt have momentum or a good leap on his side. He has no choice but to do it like that.

Then he should punch it or tip it over the bar.

You are digging a hole here, I'd give up.

Still should have dealt with it rather than flapping like a soft t*** and expecting a free kick for minimal contact. 

Look at the pictures man, the guy has his bodyweight on his foward arm which is breaking harpers hold on the ball. Thats not minimal contact just because they dont smash heads together, it looks easier than it is.

Seen it numerous times tbh. Still think Harper should have dealt with it better although I do think it's probably a foul. Certainly not a clear-cut foul though.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

Keepers get too much protection. If the guy was jumping for the ball like that with a defender, nowt would have been said. Harper seen the guy coming for the ball, and barely made an effort to collect the ball, just expecting to get a foul.

Pathetic.

Id prefer a keeper to catch high lofted balls than punch those all day long. Thats just common sense for ya.

Defenders dont use their hands to catch the ball

If a guy hooked his leg around another to stop him getting it, itd be a foul

Not many are saying it wasn't actually a foul, what we are saying is that it was very soft and Harper should do much better.

Pathetic.

Id prefer a keeper to catch high lofted balls than punch those all day long. Thats just common sense for ya.

But if he can't jump high enough to catch it due to the trajectory of the ball then he has to do something else. You are the one using this as the reason for him not jumping higher.