Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

You can go back more than 3 months, a lot, lot further infact. He has never commanded his area, he is frightened to leave his line, can't kick to one of our players, even when he has all the time in the world, and is too slow to get the game moving (from goal kicks, free kicks etc) and he is too quiet. Yes, he is a half decent shot stopper, I will give him that, but too many times our defenders are put under pressure by his lack of decision making. It seems he is frightened of getting hurt. Study a top quality keeper, then study Harper, and you will see a world of difference.

So what makes you think he's been a liability this season?

Don't start me off.....  :dave:

No, go on........................................

I'm picturing midds sitting at his computer nodding along as he reads the posts.

I don't rate him particularly highly but there's some absolute drivel in here over the last day or so.  :lol:

He's done virtually all that's been asked of him and his saves have won us quite a few points so far this season - he's not been perfect but he's played very well. It's indisputable. 

You can go back more than 3 months, a lot, lot further infact. He has never commanded his area, he is frightened to leave his line, can't kick to one of our players, even when he has all the time in the world, and is too slow to get the game moving (from goal kicks, free kicks etc) and he is too quiet. Yes, he is a half decent shot stopper, I will give him that, but too many times our defenders are put under pressure by his lack of decision making. It seems he is frightened of getting hurt. Study a top quality keeper, then study Harper, and you will see a world of difference.

Let's go back 3 seasons then.

06-07
	games	shots	conceeded	shots per goal	goals per shot	save %	goals per game
Harper	16.1	72		18			4					0.25				75		1.12	
Given	20.9	98		27			3.63				0.28				72		1.29	

07-08
Harper	19.9	103		28			3.68				0.27				73		1.41	
Given	18.1	91		37			2.46				0.41				59		2.05

08-09
Harper	16		83		22			3.77				0.27				73		1.38
Given 	22		109		37			2.95				0.34				66		1.68

As most of the deficiencies in Harper's goalkeeping ability in your subjective analysis would apply equally to Given, and Harper's record is actually better than Given's when given a chance in the past 3 seasons, can I assume you think Given was an over-rated wank stain and a liability for us too?

Dont blame him for being clearly fouled. Doesnt matter about how high he jumped or whatever else, his arms were pulled apart by the guy. Thats not something you expect in advance.

Got us a point with a world class save.

Dont blame him for being clearly fouled. Doesnt matter about how high he jumped or whatever else, his arms were pulled apart by the guy. Thats not something you expect in advance.

Got us a point with a world class save.

My word man, you spoil yourself with such garbage.

Guest neesy111

It's poor goalkeeping man, he needs to be coming out and dealing with it.

And world class save?  :lol:

aye harper should be jumping for it, + why did he not complain if it was a foul, he fucking knew he fucked up

If anyone makes that save at international level theyd be calling it world class in seconds. Itd be the same save

He didnt need to come out it was dropping into his hands anyway. He shouldnt have to make it harder for the opposition to foul him & score from it.

aye harper should be jumping for it, + why did he not complain if it was a foul, he f***ing knew he f***ed up

He did complain, just not to aggressively due to being in shock from the assault on his arm

Guest neesy111

If anyone makes that save at international level theyd be calling it world class in seconds. Itd be the same save

He didnt need to come out it was dropping into his hands anyway. He shouldnt have to make it harder for the opposition to foul him & score from it.

if you think that's a foul, then go watch basketball or something, it's a bloody contact sport ffs

Guest neesy111

aye harper should be jumping for it, + why did he not complain if it was a foul, he f***ing knew he f***ed up

He did complain, just not to aggressively due to being in shock from the assault on his arm

aye stop making excuses for him, nee fucker complained about it except from a few ppl on here

aye stop making excuses for him, nee f***er complained about it except from a few ppl on here

Kevin Nolan (post match), Steve Harper (at the time) & the commentators (during the match) are few non-posters who have mentioned it as a foul

Guest neesy111

it wasn't a foul as harper didn't have control with the ball, if we had a goal disallowed for something similar, then most ppl would be complaining why it wasn't allowed

it wasn't a foul as harper didn't have control with the ball, if we had a goal disallowed for something similar, then most ppl would be complaining why it wasn't allowed

If you tackle a midfielder - miss the ball and take his legs out instead, it's a blatant foul. If you tackle a goalkeeper, miss the ball and take his arms out - how in the name of fuck is it not a foul? Dunno what planet you're on, Neesy man.

It wasn't a foul, and it wasn't a world class save???  :kasper:

You boys have obviously learned a lot more than I'll ever know from playing football manager computer games. Gutted I didn't get one for Christmas now, hopefully next year.