Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

First time I saw the second goal thought Harper had just been soft, but on the replay the guy clearly hooked his arm with his - absolutely blatant foul. Yet our second was miles offside so can't complain too much.

Truth

Sheffield won a lot of headers today, and the defence was under pressure from a not very subtle attack.

I think Harper was decent again. He perhaps should have punched the ball for the second goal rather than relied on the ref to spot a foul. It's obvious what a striker is going to try to do in that situation. But that's the most you can say against Harper.

Ive just seen it again, anyone saying thats not a foul is blind.

The guys arm clearly comes across and pulls harpers right arm away as he's grasping the ball. If he doesnt do that Harper has both hands on it before the guy head goes anywhere near it & the challenge becomes a foul anyway as hes in possession of the ball. Go watch it again

If he catches it he either keeps it or we get a foul.

People are only saying he did it wrong because of a refereeing error. Doesnt make much sense.

If he'd not been fouled and THEN not caught it, people can have a go about it being the wrong decision. Otherwise he did nothing wrong atall.

Having seen that again Harper is at fault, no doubt about it. He shits himself at the presence of their striker.

Yep, lets see if Jayson is so honest.

Already given my view on it and watched it several times, he was fouled clearly. Doesnt matter whether people think he could have done better to avoid the foul resulting in a goal. Ya shouldnt need to avoid a foul in the first place

Technically it was a foul, but Harper had to be a lot stronger and more assertive there. Shouldn't have been in a position where he had to give the referee a decision to make because he should have dealt with it.

Spot on.

Technically it was a foul, but Harper had to be a lot stronger and more assertive there. Shouldn't have been in a position where he had to give the referee a decision to make because he should have dealt with it.

Spot on.

Hes probably thinking the guys just gonna try to head it & he's gonna be able to catch it above his head as most keepers would. Hes not gonna be expecting an armbar is he.

He cant run towards the ball as its coming down from a good height, he has to wait for it to fall into his hands. He even has to step back a bit. If he tips that over, thats a corner they can score from. He's done the right thing by trying to hold it & we were cheated by the ref.

Because he could have met the ball a lot sooner than that by jumping and punching the ball.

Dangerous position to punch, if you misjudge it even a little it could land anywhere. Hes done the right thing.

Of course he did the right thing. We won the game 2-1 and that wasn't a goal. Silly me.

Because he could have met the ball a lot sooner than that by jumping and punching the ball.

Dangerous position to punch, if you misjudge it even a little it could land anywhere. Hes done the right thing.

Of course he did the right thing. We won the game 2-1. Silly me.

Not sure how the ref making a mistake makes it the wrong thing to do. Should fowards only run from very deep instead of breaking the offside trap just incase refs get the decision wrong? Its part of football, you do your bit & you expect them to get it right.