Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Defenders dont use their hands to catch the ball

If a guy hooked his leg around another to stop him getting it, itd be a foul

Not many are saying it wasn't actually a foul, what we are saying is that it was very soft and Harper should do much better.

Which is what i dont agree with.

I dont believe someone should do better incase theyre fouled. Theres so many analogys i could make with that idea that would be laughed off instantly.

If he'd brushed him and harper had dropped it sure. If you look at the 2nd picture, you'll see he has both hands behind the ball as the guy heads it & his arms are pulled apart. It looks soft just because its arms.

Scorpion kick in that situation is dodgy

Could end up going off the back of his head into the goal, in off the crossbar, off the strikers face into the goal etc

which was the end result anyway so he may aswell entertain.

He should have just elbowed the strikers head out the way & sweeped his leg while landing

He should have knocked the fucker into Monday tbh. Taken the whole lot out in one go.

Or caught it properly....

Keepers get too much protection. If the guy was jumping for the ball like that with a defender, nowt would have been said. Harper seen the guy coming for the ball, and barely made an effort to collect the ball, just expecting to get a foul.

:thup:

Keepers get too much protection. If the guy was jumping for the ball like that with a defender, nowt would have been said. Harper seen the guy coming for the ball, and barely made an effort to collect the ball, just expecting to get a foul.

:thup:

aye. it has to be said that it wasn't a foul but is given as one 99% of the time.

Harper probably should have been more aggressive.  Having only seen the goal from one angle though I'm left wondering whether their 2 blokes were offside and if not why none of our defenders tracked them at all.

A casual attempt to say the least. Should be taking the man and eveything there Wyn Davies style. Yes it was a foul but as said above should'nt expect protection and get the fundamentals right. Been superb on the whole though. Pub goalie. Piffle

he fucked up big time, should have come out and dealt with that a lot earlier and with more aggression BUT it was also a fucking blatant foul :lol:  yes keepers get too much protection but we all know that anyway, you can't challenge a keeper like that :lol:

I have also seen plenty of clashes like that all over the pitch (see shola ameobi) where a freekick is given so I don't buy this "anywhere else on the pitch and it isn't a foul" stuff.

Poor game though for him, he did do well with that save imo.

He is the same below average keeper he always has been, only yesterday he was actually posed problems by the opposition. He's better than most in this division, but this club needs to come up with a strategy to have either Krul (if given a chance to show he is good enough) or a new signing (Joe Hart?) between the sticks come our first PL game next season.

He is the same below average keeper he always has been, only yesterday he was actually posed problems by the opposition. He's better than most in this division, but this club needs to come up with a strategy to have either Krul (if given a chance to show he is good enough) or a new signing (Joe Hart?) between the sticks come our first PL game next season.

Good idea about dropping Harper next season because he made one mistake and give the job to Krul who played against Peterborough in the League Cup and could have picked the ball out of the net almost as many times as Harper has all season.