Darren Fletcher - Should he be able to play in the final?

Liam Liam Liam O
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I was disappointed but not surprised that a penalty and red card were given.  For me it was a superb challenge, but I think it's the kind of tackle that FIFA and UEFA are trying to outlaw, where the trailing leg takes out (scissors almost) the player after the ball has been won.  That's why I think even if an appeal to UEFA had been possible, it might well have failed anyway.  In England it'd be a different story, and M4TT makes a good comparison with the Beye tackle.

Why the heck would they want to outlaw that kind of tackle? Great to see, takes a lot of skill to pull off without conceding a foul.

I was disappointed but not surprised that a penalty and red card were given.  For me it was a superb challenge, but I think it's the kind of tackle that FIFA and UEFA are trying to outlaw, where the trailing leg takes out (scissors almost) the player after the ball has been won.  That's why I think even if an appeal to UEFA had been possible, it might well have failed anyway.  In England it'd be a different story, and M4TT makes a good comparison with the Beye tackle.

Why the heck would they want to outlaw that kind of tackle? Great to see, takes a lot of skill to pull off without conceding a foul.

I agree with you, but like I say it's the way the trailing leg takes out the attacker that they aren't happy about.  Personally I think that's what makes a good tackle even better...

Did nobody see the way he tangled with Fabregas's leg's a fraction after he tapped the ball away, scissored them?

Think it was a stupid thing to do in the Penalty area, regardless of wether he tapped the ball away or not he's always going to put himself in the position of giving away a penalty, especially when you are 3 nil up and your oponents have to score 5 in 15 minutes or so.

I don't see how it was a great tackle.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

do you wanna see my tackle? add me MSN bigcock123

*ps oh yeah fletcher. he can fuck off and rot in the ground, scottish baby faced fcunt

Guest palnese

For me, it was one of the best tackles I've ever seen! Just as Beye's against Robinho. Both of them spot on! Brilliant piece of defending in my eyes.

For me, it was one of the best tackles I've ever seen! Just as Beye's against Robinho. Both of them spot on! Brilliant piece of defending in my eyes.

Absolutely nothing like Beye's. What would you think if the scissor motion in which he caught Fabregas's leg, had of done cruciates or broke it?

This 'he touched the ball' protest is bollocks anyway - he went through the player to get the ball which is a foul.

In the 1980's and possibly even the 1990's it wouldn't have been but this is something FIFA clamped down on ages ago. Regardless of whether he touched the ball or not he took the player out in the process which he isn't allowed to do.

??? Wum?

Seriously of course it wasn't a foul. Was actually a very good piece of defending.

Joey Barton touched the ball when he tackled Alonso - was that a great bit of defending?

I like the cup of your jib. My follow up was about to be about Barton doing something similar (with a tab more aggression), in a game already over, from behind winning the ball. We all know Barton is stupid but do you reckon even he'd have been so thick to have done it in those circumstances?

It makes no odds if it was the best ball-winning challenge the world has ever seen - what he did was against the rules according to the governing body of football so he had to be punished.

I personally think challenges like that make the game a better spectacle but FIFA are a load of kiljoy pussies.

Probably because it drags up the debate of replays for refs etc. We all got to see the tackle from different angles, the referee saw it from behind and I imagine it'd be hard for it not to look like a foul. The only give away would be the change in direction of the ball, but without seeing it from the front there's no guarentee that it came from the foot of the defender.

Assistant referee's should be able to call it, but they rarely do - see the Beye incident.

Guest Heneage

I'm mixed on the challenge myself.

He got the ball but the follow through seemed to bring Fabregas down, now does that not still equate a foul I'm sure I saw a penalty given for something similar.

The rules are clearly flawed, but there's no chance they will do it now.

Rules are rules, you cant rape someone and then claim that the laws should be changed just because you feel good when you do it.

Probably the worst metaphor I have read in my entire life :lol:

And an even worse analogy ;)

:lol:

What CS&C said.

The rules should quite obviously be changed though, to allow an appeal at the very least. Personally I don't like the concept of prior yellows/reds banning someone from a final at all.

:thup:

Guest dazzanufc1892

Im biased, but this is fukin bullshit.

Why should somebody create a perfect goal saving tackle, then be punished by missing out on his dream? absolute fuckin disgrace

I have no sympathy for him whatsoever....or indeed any of their players who are done wrong by.They have referees kow-towing to them week in week out,so when one f***s up at their dispense,I rather enjoy it tbh.

I'd have agreed 100% had it been one of their c*ntish players like Scholes, Ronaldo or Rooney, but feel sorry for someone like Fletcher missing out because of that.

Guest optimistic nit

What CS&C said.

The rules should quite obviously be changed though, to allow an appeal at the very least. Personally I don't like the concept of prior yellows/reds banning someone from a final at all.

:thup:

its absolute proof that video technology should now be used to revoke such incidents

During the game you mean?

not really possible for every incident. Def disputed goals and maybe doubtful penalties, at the refs discretion. But I don't see why - when its available - such technology shouldn't be used later. I realise it is going to highlight mistakes by referees, but they are well paid and will have to accept that mistakes are made, to further the cause of natural justice as it were. It works both ways though, it can also be used to spot off the ball incidents and award belated cards too when deserved. I reckon that pretty much all of the nasty stuff in football that happens behind the refs back would stop overnight when players know the camera is on them and they can't hide.

The Darren Fletcher case now is a disgrace really. It was a good challenge, and he is missing the biggest night of his career for a foul he didn't commit.

I agree with NE5 about the video stuff, but aye, it should just be for red cards, pen shouts and goals that might not have been or weren't given etc. I do think that each team should have x amount of 'appeals' a game, much like in tennis, just so that they don't waste time appealing for blatantly obvious non-goals.

its absolute proof that video technology should now be used to revoke such incidents

During the game you mean?

not really possible for every incident. Def disputed goals and maybe doubtful penalties, at the refs discretion. But I don't see why - when its available - such technology shouldn't be used later. I realise it is going to highlight mistakes by referees, but they are well paid and will have to accept that mistakes are made, to further the cause of natural justice as it were. It works both ways though, it can also be used to spot off the ball incidents and award belated cards too when deserved. I reckon that pretty much all of the nasty stuff in football that happens behind the refs back would stop overnight when players know the camera is on them and they can't hide.

The Darren Fletcher case now is a disgrace really. It was a good challenge, and he is missing the biggest night of his career for a foul he didn't commit.

How could they review goals and penalties though? Revising the final score makes no sense.

I agree on sendings off and that, but in extreme cases they do that already.

This 'he touched the ball' protest is bollocks anyway - he went through the player to get the ball which is a foul.

In the 1980's and possibly even the 1990's it wouldn't have been but this is something FIFA clamped down on ages ago. Regardless of whether he touched the ball or not he took the player out in the process which he isn't allowed to do.

??? Wum?

Seriously of course it wasn't a foul. Was actually a very good piece of defending.

Joey Barton touched the ball when he tackled Alonso - was that a great bit of defending?

Fletcher's wasn't from behind. It was from the side first of all. He didn't go through the player to get the ball and he got the ball first. Whether there's tangling within the same motion is irrelevant.

Please don't compare it to Barton's that's stupid. If anything compare it to Beye's red against Man City because it's almost the exact same incident. And of course Beye's red was overruled and ref said he made a mistake.

You need to watch Barton's again then. That wasn't from behind either, it started from the side. He also won the ball before going through the player. Absolutely nothing different about the two challenges other than Barton went in at speed, whereas both Fletcher and Cesc were running at the same speed.