Where Does The Assumption That We Are Going To Beat Middlesbrough Come From?

Tooj

Seriously though, my hope comes from the fact we created chances against Portsmouth. Create more and the law of averages means we should take at least one.

Also, I don't think Pompey were given enough credit on here for the way they closed out the game. Really fucking effective. I don't see Boro being as capable of that, so if we still need something I expect us to pile on some late pressure.

And as you've hinted at, unlike Pompey, Boro need to go for it. This will play into your hands IMO.

:thup:

Though again I don't think Portsmouth were as negative as some made out; they could have easily won the game in the end. They killed it off by keeping the ball. Boro simply aren't as good.

Yeah I know what you mean, they had a couple of chances but overall they were pretty negative, they certainly didn't go for it at any point in the game like Boro will have.

People keep telling me I assume we will beat Boro. I don't though, im just chuffed its in our hands again. We beat Boro, we're out the relegation zone. In our own hands now.

Plus, theres nothing wrong with a bit of confidence. Without confidence our teams stand no chance.

Why do boro have to go for it? They could play for a draw, and take their chances against west ham on the last day (who will have "nothing" to play for)

Guest neesy111

Why do boro have to go for it? They could play for a draw, and take their chances against west ham on the last day (who will have "nothing" to play for)

cos southgate has said it and it's there best chance of a win this season

You should never go into any game expecting to win and I hope Shearer has made sure the players know how big a task this is. I'm hoping the crowd realise this too and stay behind the team for the full 90 mins.

I'm assuming nothing but I've gone well beyond pessimism (realism) now. I'm confident we'll stay up now because I no longer see any point in looking at the negatives.

Back in our hands now and I honestly think we'll do it.

Name me one person that thinks we'll win no doubt?

Well?

Anyone at all?

Didn't think so.

No one thinks we'll win no question, but it's very possible that we could pick up the 3 points. Plus we have to hope, it's the last real chance we have.

Guest neesy111

I'm assuming nothing but I've gone well beyond pessimism (realism) now. I'm confident we'll stay up now because I no longer see any point in looking at the negatives.

Back in our hands now and I honestly think we'll do it.

same here, something imo needs to give with us we're due a massive break etc, hopefully it'll come in this game

It's going to be our know how and experience v their youth. For the same reason we'd be too scared to put youngsters into such a big game, I'm hoping their younger players will bottle it. That's the theory anyway.

Guest Howaythetoon

If we can score first and early I can see us notching a few and winning quite comfortably.

Guest Phil K

Blind desperation.

Agree - it's just it's not worth thinking about that they won't beat Middlessmog.

Desperation, yeah

And fear of the unthinkable.

Don't mention the possibility.

Well?

Anyone at all?

Didn't think so.

No one thinks we'll win no question, but it's very possible that we could pick up the 3 points. Plus we have to hope, it's the last real chance we have.

John Simpson, the BBC News foreign affairs reporter.

No way a draw will be good for either side - it's do or die indeed. Worry is for me that aside from the likes of Bassong, Beye, Harper and Butt - we have a team of cowards. When was the last time this lot actually put a shift in when it was our backs to the wall?

Well?

Anyone at all?

Didn't think so.

John Simpson, the BBC News foreign affairs reporter.

Well played sir.

No way a draw will be good for either side - it's do or die indeed. Worry is for me that aside from the likes of Bassong, Beye, Harper and Butt - we have a team of cowards. When was the last time this lot actually put a shift in when it was our backs to the wall?

But he's French!

You're right though. Our team don't seem to have any fight in them. But SURELY they have to realise how important it is to the club, it baffles me.

We shouldn't under-estimate the importance of this being at home. I know I wouldn't fancy going to the boro if we needed to win. Will they really be looking forward to coming to St James in a do or die battle?