Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

Would people be happy with a Bassong and Taylor CB partnership next season?

Not so sure myself.

A lot of credit to Taylor this season but I still don't quite like him at centre back.

If Bassong stays I would like a big dirty beast experienced championship defender type to play beside him.

I agree with this. I've warmed to Taylor a lot in the past couple of months but he's still a liability at CB, whichever league we're in. Doesn't have the brain for it and never will have.

I really love him at right back though, but I think he is just seen as a fill in there which is unfortunate. He just isn't a centre back to me.

To be honest, I think Shearer if he does stay on will be told he has full control of the first team, whoever he wants to keep he can keep within reason, whoever he wants to go he can let go. The stumbling block may well be the amount of money he will have to spend. Shearer like all of us will want to bounce back first season and might want more than Ashley is willing to give him. We should get about £8m from player sales I imagine, it's the extra on top of that that Ashley will put in himself which will be crucial for Shearer.

we will get a hell of a lot more than £8m in sales, thats for sure.

With a proper clear out we'd get £20m+, surely. Plus the money from previous sales which is only coming in now.

The problem is I can see most of that money going back in to offset the losses. I bet Shearer only has £10-15m for transfers this summer. Which when spread across anything up to ten players isn't a great deal.

I'm not so sure we will get as much as people think from the sale of our players. Matrtins may fetch a price, we may get a milion or 2 here and there from other players. Colo and Jonas will go on loan, i think rather than being sold.

As well as the money we have coming in for old transfers such as milner, we have money going out still, Ashley made a big point of this, and it could be that the money balances itself out.

A 10 million or more transfer budget for next season would allow us to find a decent enough team to compete. Spend 20 million and the manager would really have to be from the JFK school of football management to not secure promotion.

Guest firetotheworks

Not so sure myself.

A lot of credit to Taylor this season but I still don't quite like him at centre back.

If Bassong stays I would like a big dirty beast experienced championship defender type to play beside him.

I agree with this. I've warmed to Taylor a lot in the past couple of months but he's still a liability at CB, whichever league we're in. Doesn't have the brain for it and never will have.

I really love him at right back though, but I think he is just seen as a fill in there which is unfortunate. He just isn't a centre back to me.

How so? The alternative is monumentally better.

Not so sure myself.

Were do you want him striker?  cos he is s*** as a full back

His best games for Newcastle have all been at right back.

He's been offered a new deal at 25k a week.

Where's this from fella?

Lad on Skunkers who lives in the same building as him. Been chatting to his missus while Seb's away with Cameroon.

The dirty bastard, did he get anywhere with her ? :p

Guest Heneage

Where's this from fella?

Lad on Skunkers who lives in the same building as him. Been chatting to his missus while Seb's away with Cameroon.

She say if he would sign?

Where's this from fella?

Cheers. :thup:

I'd say that's a very decent offer for a young player in the Championship. Problem is obviously what others will offer him (and for him).

Where's this from fella?

I'm sure he would have remembered to mention if she did tbf.

Where's this from fella?

Doesn't say. It looks like offering him a new contract could be one of the things Shearer was talking over with Ashley and Llambias as he's apparently been told he wont be sold for any less than £15 million too.

Guest Heneage

Where's this from fella?

Doesn't say. It looks like offering him a new contract could be one of the things Shearer was talking over with Ashley and Llambias as he's apparently been told he wont be sold for any less than £15 million too.

Good, when Curtis Davies is going for 10m plus 15m is about right if not couple million ott.

If we can somehow keep Bassong, Beye and Enrique too, that's an incredibly strong defence to try and come back up with. I'd be very surprised though. Mind you, after seeing the usual anti-Enrique drivel has returned in the rags, we might be able to hang on to him seeing as no-one who reads a newspaper but doesn't actually watch him play would touch him with a bargepole.

Where's this from fella?

Anything over 10million is a "snap their hands of price" really.

If we can somehow keep Bassong, Beye and Enrique too, that's an incredibly strong defence to try and come back up with. I'd be very surprised though.

Aye me too, i'd be happy with it as long as we get a new keeper (or Krul) in behind them.

Where's this from fella?

clearly isn't to be honest. We shouldn't be snapping anyone's hands off unless we're sure the player in question is not the answer. Bassong on the other hand is our best player.

Where's this from fella?

I'd say that's a very decent offer for a young player in the Championship. Problem is obviously what others will offer him (and for him).

This really, think someone will offer him higher wages int he premier league. Wont be Arsenal though IMO.

What contract has he got at the moment? Is he even still under contract?  I cant recall if it has been clarified or not yet? Or did I dream he was on a 3 year deal already?

Yuh, ive read a few times hes on a 3 year deal so hes still under contract.

We'll have a very very hard time replacing him if we do sell him, you'd have to get atleast 2/3 class players with the money to make it worthwhile.

Where's this from fella?

clearly isn't to be honest. We shouldn't be snapping anyone's hands off unless we're sure the player in question is not the answer. Bassong on the other hand is our best player.

That doesn't really say much, since the rest of the squad has been down right awful. I'm still to be convinced about Bassong, he's got a lot of learning to do. 10 million for a player at his stage in his development is more than a fair price. Don't judge all 10 million players on Colocinni.

Where's this from fella?

Another problem is if it's true that Steve taylor is on 40k/week then Bassong might be looking for at least that. Not to mention that Coloccini is on probably quite a lot more.

Where's this from fella?

Another problem is if it's true that Steve taylor is on 40k/week then Bassong might be looking for at least that. Not to mention that Coloccini is on probably quite a lot more.

Taylor for all his faults has far more experience in the big league and what Coloccini is on is irrelevant for a number of obvious reasons.

Where's this from fella?

That doesn't really say much, since the rest of the squad has been down right awful. I'm still to be convinced about Bassong, he's got a lot of learning to do. 10 million for a player at his stage in his development is more than a fair price. Don't judge all 10 million players on Colocinni.

So you'd honestly sell Bassong for £10m if Arsenal or whoever came knocking next week?

Taylor is also not half the player Bassong is, despite having 4 more seasons in the premiership than him.

Who is disputing that? We're on about wages here. I'm better at my job than loads of my seniors at work but they get more money than me, it's just the way of the world.

Where's this from fella?

Taylor for all his faults has far more experience in the big league and what Coloccini is on is irrelevant for a number of obvious reasons.

Bassong was getting picked ahead of Taylor despite his lack of experience and I doubt Taylor will be as in demand as Bassong. That tells you their true worth at the end of the day.