Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

As much as I understand him wanting top flight football I still think even if we escape he will go, Ashley will cash in and Vassong won't complain about being sold.

There is not much loyalty left in the game anymore.. We gave him him chance he was not even getting a kick before we took him in, are we really turning into a Wigan? players using us as a platform to get to bigger clubs.

He got a pretty long way to go before he can get anything better than Newcastle. He has way to many errors, and he just cant keep his hands off other players.

Not bothered if he leaves.

Bit of loyalty Seb, you were all set to play in Ligue 2 last year.

Couple of half decent games and suddenly they think they are established prem stars.

They need to stop reading player reviews off forums.

Guest Heneage

Couple of half decent games and suddenly they think they are established prem stars.

Well I seem to remember us being the only club sniffing around him. He's 23/24 would one season kill him, just pisses me off we aren't even relegated and he's talking about buggering off.

Wenger will make a move.

That's the rumour but have the media purely based it on the usual I.e. He's young and French? They said exactly the same about N'Zogbia and when the time came it was Wigan and not Wenger who were interested. I read that we'd be wanting £8m for Bassong. How often does Wenger ever pay that sort of money for young players? Hopefully we stay up and he won't leave.

Ideally he'd stay, yeah.

But it's pretty unrealistic to expect it though should an established Prem team come in for him.

We should make a point of not getting relegated this Sunday, he'll probably stay then.

why is it suddenly unrealistic to reject a bid?  tell arsenal to beat it, he's not for sale?  or whoever else

it's how you work the player that matters, man-management - again people are acting like he's an established international for whom it would be unthinkable to play a division down, bollocks

Reject a bid? Ashley?

Well I seem to remember us being the only club sniffing around him. He's 23/24 would one season kill him, just pisses me off we aren't even relegated and he's talking about buggering off.

Put yourself in his position, could be a once in a lifetime thing.

If he stays with us and we go down.....next season our squads still crap so overall we do average...he does alright but is let down by the rest of the defence etc you think Arsenal would still be after him ? Unlikely when you're only playing at that standard.

Ofcourse hes gonna choose the likes of Arsenal over Newcastle, nothing to do with Loyalty. Its likely even Shearer would have done similar if we'd gone down.

Ideally he'd stay, yeah.

But it's pretty unrealistic to expect it though should an established Prem team come in for him.

We should make a point of not getting relegated this Sunday, he'll probably stay then.

why is it suddenly unrealistic to reject a bid?  tell arsenal to beat it, he's not for sale?  or whoever else

it's how you work the player that matters, man-management - again people are acting like he's an established international for whom it would be unthinkable to play a division down, bollocks

Reject a bid? Ashley?

in the event of relegation & shearer staying i'd imagine ashley will have to let the club be run as a football again - what's the alternative?  keep reducing the value of his asset as we go down the leagues?  doubt it

Guest Heneage

Put yourself in his position, could be a once in a lifetime thing.

If he stays with us and we go down.....next season our squads still crap so overall we do average...he does alright but is let down by the rest of the defence etc you think Arsenal would still be after him ? Unlikely when you're only playing at that standard.

Ofcourse hes gonna choose the likes of Arsenal over Newcastle, nothing to do with Loyalty. Its likely even Shearer would have done similar if we'd gone down.

Or he gives us a season and we bounce back up at which point he can join SGT Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band for all I care.

Wenger will make a move.

That's the rumour but have the media purely based it on the usual I.e. He's young and French? They said exactly the same about N'Zogbia and when the time came it was Wigan and not Wenger who were interested. I read that we'd be wanting £8m for Bassong. How often does Wenger ever pay that sort of money for young players? Hopefully we stay up and he won't leave.

Same stories went round about Martins as well, never happened and never will.  Though Wenger has spent far more then £8 million on young players in the past.

Yeah lets expect the guy to risk possibly the entire outcome of his career on us because we bought him.

As if somehow we did him a gigantic favor and weren't buying him because we expected him to improve us in the future

Yeah lets expect the guy to risk possibly the entire outcome of his career on us because we bought him.

As if somehow we did him a gigantic favor and weren't buying him because we expected him to improve us in the future

nah agree, lets get bent over and fucked by more footballers eh?  it's largely what's brought us to this point

How is a good player leaving a side whos been relegated us getting "f***ed".

You make out as if its somehow massively unfair on us. Its not his fault our owner turned out to be a t*** and everything else went wrong.

You make out as if its somehow massively unfair on us. Its not his fault our owner turned out to be a t*** and everything else went wrong.

in our diabolical squad bassong = one of a few decent players who we should be determined to keep

and i said bent over and fucked, not that him leaving would leave us fucked but i suspect you know this - i was getting at player vs club power

i for one see more wrong with NUFC than is just on the pitch and this is part of it, we need to make the club take priority over the players and let rot the ones who don't buy in

No surprise...but why even conduct that interview this week? What relevance does it have? Wait until what's happened has happened. No class doing that at a point when the clubs future is in the balance imo.

No surprise...but why even conduct that interview this week? What relevance does it have? Wait until what's happened has happened. No class doing that at a point when the clubs future is in the balance imo.

I agree.

Athough I think he's had a good season and easily our player of the year. I'm not convinced yet that he is a great player as people on this thread have been suggesting. He's a promising youngster atm that still needs to work on his game. Being our best player this season is not exactly the most coverted honour considering how bad we've been. He gets too close too often, relies heavily on illegal contact with the player and has been fortunate this season to get away with a lot.

I don't really see a team willing to part with the money we'll want for him 10m or so. The max I think anyone will pay is 5m, of course the Shay Given deal shows the club can easily get fleeced but if they hold out for their asking fee, he could well be playing championship football next season, whether he likes it or not.

I agree.

I concur with the agreement. Strikes me as an act of self interest above the team needs tbh.

Athough I think he's had a good season and easily our player of the year. I'm not convinced yet that he is a great player as people on this thread have been suggesting. He's a promising youngster atm that still needs to work on his game. Being our best player this season is not exactly the most coverted honour considering how bad we've been. He gets too close too often, relies heavily on illegal contact with the player and has been fortunate this season to get away with a lot.

I don't really see a team willing to part with the money we'll want for him 10m or so. The max I think anyone will pay is 5m, of course the Shay Given deal shows the club can easily get fleeced but if they hold out for their asking fee, he could well be playing championship football next season, whether he likes it or not.

bingo, our priorities will be smith, duff, butt, martins, geremi, jonas, colo etc... who are all earning a fucking fortune - get shot of them while offering bassong an extension with a view to him leaving in a year if it doesn't work out

someone offers 10m and the manager wants it then sell

he cost fuck all and probably gets paid relatively little - we've seen with ashley already the false economy of selling players with "marketable value"...maybe we should get shot of the ones no-one wants for a fucking change (although i realise that's harder it will make us a better football team)

Guest Heneage

He's 23?!

One year is nothing. If it was someone like Viduka or a player wrong side of 30 fair enough.

All he says is that he'd have a talk with the club at the end of the season about his future (We already new this), that he doesn't fancy the Championship much (a given) and that he thinks Big Al is great.

I can't see the big eal about this to be honest.  He's said next to nowt