Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He simply needs to stop trying to play his way out of situations. That is one of the things that let him and Jose down all last season. They've got away with it a lot in this league but won't be able to next season.

Or ... play him as a DM where I think he could be a great player for us.

He simply needs to stop trying to play his way out of situations. That is one of the things that let him and Jose down all last season. They've got away with it a lot in this league but won't be able to next season.

Alot of this has do with the fact he's not got a water carrier in midfield to knock it on to. If he had a Mascherano/Makelele-eqsue holding player who wants every ball both him and, to a lesser extent Enrique, wouldn't have to take as many chances.

Would majorly benefit Simpson too who costs us possession more than anyone because his only option is almost always Routledge, who is inevitably closely marked.

Alot of this has do with the fact he's not got a water carrier in midfield to knock it on to. If he had a Mascherano/Makelele-eqsue holding player who wants every ball both him and, to a lesser extent Enrique, wouldn't have to take as many chances.

Would majorly benefit Simpson too who costs us possession more than anyone because his only option is almost always Routledge, who is inevitably closely marked.

That's what I'm suggesting, I don't see why he can't be our Makelele/Mascherano.

That's what I'm suggesting, I don't see why he can't be our Makelele/Mascherano.

I don't think he's got the pace or the vision mate AND I think we need him in his best position - a few bad games at DM and the press would rinse the fella killing his confidence. I think he's going to look like a different player to the one who left the premier league a year ago with a strong water carrier in front of him though.

Deserves a lot of credit for the way he set his stall out with us this year instead of doing a Bassong.

I don't think he's got the pace or the vision mate AND I think we need him in his best position - a few bad games at DM and the press would rinse the fella killing his confidence. I think he's going to look like a different player to the one who left the premier league a year ago with a strong water carrier in front of him though.

Deserves a lot of credit for the way he set his stall out with us this year instead of doing a Bassong.

that he does could have easily gone to some spannish side if he felt like it (enrique and jonas too)

The thing is, the alternate option is the 'pump it' safety first - and a big problem in regards to our relegation last time was the fact we were just terrible at keeping the ball. Those two help us in that respect more than they hinder us. But yeah, nobody likes seeing risks punished...

Are we seriously suggesting that he did not increase his play since relegation to CCC? I mean, not comparing CCC to EPL, but I definitively think this year has done our foreign players very good to increase their confidence etc.

But then again, I also think that we need a manager that has some defensive skillz and appreciate a tight back-4. Although, who am I to judge :)

• 2 weeks later...

He's been named (alongside Jonas of course) in Maradona's initial squad of 30 for the World Cup. Hope he makes the final cut!

Would be nice to see another NUFC representative; but it'd probably be more beneficial for us if he didn't go. Obviously cos of the fatigue and risk of injury - but if he's on the very cusp, and still doesn't make it, he'll try even harder next season to get in the squads.

Guest je85

Being taken to the World Cup's great experiance for anyone, just look at Theo Wa... oh no, wait.

Guest Howaythetoon

He started his first season well but as the campaign wore on he got progressively worse turning in some shambolic performances along the way where he was often lacking bottle and heart to an extent where he became a disgrace to the shirt at times. However, this season - in what could be argued as a tougher challenge in many ways - he has been nothing short of magnificent and for any bad he did in his debut season he has more than made up for it this term. And while I'm still not sure he's cut out for Premier League football I for one am willing to give him a chance and hope he continues his great form this season. In short he's won me over and has shown he is fully committed to the cause.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I'd misread the title. Saw a list of players but it actually says the list of 30 will be named on Monday and Coloccini's name was listed as one of the possibilities.

http://www.juventudrebelde.cu/deportes/2010-05-06/maradona-anunciara-el-lunes-preseleccion-argentina-de-futbol-al-mundial-de-sudafrica/

Si el Mundial comenzara ahora mismo, los cuatro defensas serían Nicolás Otamendi (Vélez Sarsfield), Martín Demichelis (Bayern Múnich), Walter Samuel (Inter) y Gabriel Heinze (Olympique Marsella). Nicolás Burdisso (AS Roma) es el quinto y en la lista de espera aparecen Clemente Rodríguez y Marcos Angeleri (Estudiantes de La Plata), Javier Zanetti (Inter), Nicolás Pareja (Espanyol) y Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle).

Basically says if the squad was named now, the 4 defenders would be Otamendi, Demichelis, Samuel & Heinze. Burdisso is next in line, then the rest.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I'd misread the title. Saw a list of players but it actually says the list of 30 will be named on Monday and Coloccini's name was listed as one of the possibilities.

http://www.juventudrebelde.cu/deportes/2010-05-06/maradona-anunciara-el-lunes-preseleccion-argentina-de-futbol-al-mundial-de-sudafrica/

Si el Mundial comenzara ahora mismo, los cuatro defensas serían Nicolás Otamendi (Vélez Sarsfield), Martín Demichelis (Bayern Múnich), Walter Samuel (Inter) y Gabriel Heinze (Olympique Marsella). Nicolás Burdisso (AS Roma) es el quinto y en la lista de espera aparecen Clemente Rodríguez y Marcos Angeleri (Estudiantes de La Plata), Javier Zanetti (Inter), Nicolás Pareja (Espanyol) y Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle).

Basically says if the squad was named now, the 4 defenders would be Otamendi, Demichelis, Samuel & Heinze. Burdisso is next in line, then the rest.

It's a weird article, there's some quotes from Maradona but when it comes to the list of players it seems the author's opinion based on Maradona's last callups more than anything.

Argentinian press reckon this is the original 30.

http://espanol.sports.yahoo.com/noticias/d-sport-maradona-elevara-ma-ana-lista-10052010-91.html

Arqueros: Sergio Romero, Mariano Andújar, Diego Pozo y Adrián Gabbarini.

Defensores: Nicolás Otamendi, Martín Demichelis, Walter Samuel, Gabriel Heinze, Nicolás Burdisso, Clemente Rodríguez, Javier Zanetti, Juan Manuel Insaurralde y Fabricio Coloccini.

Volantes: Jonás Gutiérrez, Javier Mascherano, Juan Sebastián Verón, Angel Di María, Juan Mercier, Javier Pastore, Mario Bolatti, Fernando Gago, Esteban Cambiasso o José Sosa y Maximiliano Rodríguez.

Delanteros: Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuaín, Martín Palermo, Sergio Agüero, Diego Milito, Carlos Tevez y Ezequiel Lavezzi

The predicted line up for the starting XI versus Nigeria is

Sergio Romero; Nicolás Otamendi, Martín Demichelis, Walter Samuel y Gabriel Heinze; Javier Mascherano; Jonás Gutiérrez, Juan Sebastián Verón y Angel Di María; Lionel Messi y Gonzalo Higuaín.

Coloccini misses out to Milito.

Arqueros: Sergio Romero, Mariano Andújar, Adrián Gabbarini o Diego Pozo.

Defensores: Nicolás Otamendi, Martín Demichelis, Walter Samuel, Gabriel Heinze, Javier Zanetti, Clemente Rodríguez, Gabriel Milito, Nicolás Burdisso, Marcos Angeleri.

Volantes: Jonás Gutiérrez, Javier Mascherano, Juan Sebastián Verón, Angel Di María, Mario Bolatti, Javier Pastore, Juan Mercier, Maximiliano Rodríguez, José Sosa, y Fernando Gago, Jesús Dátolo o Ever Banega.

Delanteros: Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuaín, Carlos Tevez, Diego Milito, Martín Palermo, Sergio Agüero, Ezequiel Lavezzi.