Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joey: Colo's My Favourite Player!

JOEY Barton has revealed that, if he was a Newcastle United fan, he'd have the name of Fabricio Coloccini on the back of his black-and-white shirt.

The Scouse star has been talking to nufcTV as part of their "Toon-Mates Summer Special" and, when asked about his pick for this season's star man, there was no doubt in his mind as to the identity of his favourite player.

"There are a lot of candidates but I would have to go for Colo - I think he's been outstanding," said Barton.

"He endured a hard start to life in England, but fair play to him, he stuck around and is reaping the reward for that now.

"He's great to watch at times and has unbelievable skill. He's a top, top player and has been brilliant for us this season."

And Joey joked: "I love him! He's my favourite player and if I was a fan it would definitely be his name on the back of my shirt!"

Coloccini, along with team-mate Jonas Gutierrez, has been named in Diego Maradona's provisional 30-man for this summer's World Cup in South Africa

Joey: Colo's My Favourite Player!

JOEY Barton has revealed that, if he was a Newcastle United fan, he'd have the name of Fabricio Coloccini on the back of his black-and-white shirt.

The Scouse star has been talking to nufcTV as part of their "Toon-Mates Summer Special" and, when asked about his pick for this season's star man, there was no doubt in his mind as to the identity of his favourite player.

"There are a lot of candidates but I would have to go for Colo - I think he's been outstanding," said Barton.

"He endured a hard start to life in England, but fair play to him, he stuck around and is reaping the reward for that now.

"He's great to watch at times and has unbelievable skill. He's a top, top player and has been brilliant for us this season."

And Joey joked: "I love him! He's my favourite player and if I was a fan it would definitely be his name on the back of my shirt!"

Coloccini, along with team-mate Jonas Gutierrez, has been named in Diego Maradona's provisional 30-man for this summer's World Cup in South Africa

More proof Barton hates Enrique....

:laugh:

Essien.

:thup:

Essien is not a defensive midfielder. He doesn't play there for Ghana. He didn't play there for Lyon. Mikel and Makelele have often played behind him for Chelsea, and while he can be a DM, it is not his favoured position at all. Also, he had two poor seasons in succession now.

Essien.

Essien is not a defensive midfielder. He doesn't play there for Ghana. He didn't play there for Lyon. Mikel and Makelele have often played behind him for Chelsea, and while he can be a DM, it is not his favoured position at all. Also, he had two poor seasons in succession now.

He's still better in that role than Cambiasso, even if it isn't his best postion, which is more box-to-box. How on earth has he had 2 bad seasons in a row? More ridiculous African hostility no doubt

Essien.

He's still better in that role than Cambiasso, even if it isn't his best postion, which is more box-to-box. How on earth has he had 2 bad seasons in a row? More ridiculous African hostility no doubt

Imo, Essien isn't really that tactically disciplined, so he's not a great DM. One of the top five central midifielders though. I'm quite sure Essien has played less than 30 total matches over the last two Premiership seasons due to injuries suffered with Ghana. For what he is being paid these are bad seasons.

Essien.

Imo, Essien isn't really that tactically disciplined, so he's not a great DM. One of the top five central midifielders though. I'm quite sure Essien has played less than 30 total matches over the last two Premiership seasons due to injuries suffered with Ghana. For what he is being paid these are bad seasons.

It boils down to definition...you seem to imply that injury = bad seasons. For most of us,a bad season would mean playing poorly. Sill think Essien is one of the best, and for Chelsea to win the premiership without him is simply fantastic!

Back to Colo, well chuffed that he is selected, not sure if I prefer to get into the final squad. On one hand the experience would be good for him and it will assure him that playing for Newcastle does not equate sacrificing his international career. But on the other hand, the World Cup is one big window shopping and given teh depressed transfer market, not sure we will get back our initial outlay if we sell him which would be a travesty

Back to Colo, well chuffed that he is selected, not sure if I prefer to get into the final squad. On one hand the experience would be good for him and it will assure him that playing for Newcastle does not equate sacrificing his international career. But on the other hand, the World Cup is one big window shopping and given teh depressed transfer market, not sure we will get back our initial outlay if we sell him which would be a travesty

In all honesty, if Colo did make the final squad and did get to play in the World Cup, I'd be more worried about his stock going down after a bad game or two. He's been class for us this year, but there's still this nagging suspicion that higher calibre strikers than the ones we've been facing on a weekly basis in the Championship might not be so forgiving.

Actually, on that note, maybe it'd be good if he did play. If he's good, we either have a highly confident, international calibre, groovy/classy centreback in our lineup for the start of next season, or we make a decent chunk of our money back should we sell (and move on to someone more physically suited to Premiership football hopefully). If he's bad and looks like 'Colo the Clown', then at least we "find out" before the Premiership season kicks off which might enable us to ship him out to some desperate punter, instead of starting the season with someone who we think is going to be a rock for us before realising in September that oh noes, he really is shit, just as the shit starts hitting the fan.

In all honesty, if Colo did make the final squad and did get to play in the World Cup, I'd be more worried about his stock going down after a bad game or two. He's been class for us this year, but there's still this nagging suspicion that higher calibre strikers than the ones we've been facing on a weekly basis in the Championship might not be so forgiving.

Eto'o, Raúl, Real Ronaldo, Forlán, Villa, Torres, Van Nistelrooy.

well to be fair ,when Colo played for Depor he played against some of those mentioned ,as well as other top class strikers week in week out and didn`t look out of place at all in that time.

well to be fair ,when Colo played for Depor he played against some of those mentioned ,as well as other top class strikers week in week out and didn`t look out of place at all in that time.

That's what I meant, these are the forwards he faced while at Deportivo. And it's not like they leaked goals like there was no tomorrow, Deportivo were a solid defensive side. Heck, Real Madrid never won at Riazor during the years Coloccini was there and I'm talking about a side that had more stars than probably most national teams he'd face at the WC and they shut them out often.

That's what I meant, these are the forwards he faced while at Deportivo. And it's not like they leaked goals like there was no tomorrow, Deportivo were a solid defensive side. Heck, Real Madrid never won at Riazor during the years Coloccini was there and I'm talking about a side that had more stars than probably most national teams he'd face at the WC and they shut them out often.

How often did he play DM for Depor?

I'm sure he's dreading his epic showdown with Lee Dong-Gook

How often did he play DM for Depor?

Sometimes, but was preferred as centreback. Duscher/De Guzmán were the first choice DMs.

It's a fair point (to an extent - we know that Depor fans liked him, but you have to take into account the possibility that they've ignored his failings because both he and the team overall had done alright for them, along with other factors like maybe expectation/pressure being lower?). But the last time he was up against those sorts of strikers he just looked very poor by the time the season ended, with certain flaws being established as being part of his game (too easily turned, not able to do anything to make up lost ground, etc etc - which is why so often the £10m price tag or "international centreback" tag were brought up that year) - e.g. Torres who left him for dead at will whenever we played Liverpool.

If he was genuinely good for Deportivo, and it's not a case of him being exposed whilst with us in a league where defenders aren't able to "hide" and where possibly expectations/pressures are higher for defenders to be good at certain things than others, then that bodes well for him and for us if we keep him. But from what we've seen in a Newcastle shirt, those aforementioned flaws in some areas of his defensive game were targeted and exposed over the course of a season in the Premiership. Having just had a season in the Championship against mediocre players which has clearly rebuilt his confidence, I'm not sure it'd be wise for Maradona to throw him in in such high stake games where the pressure to perform is going to be intense and any costly mistake will be highlighted.