Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think it's maybe taking the logic too far to assume that we'll get rid of Colo when he reaches the same contract situation as Barton and Nolan etc.

He is much more valuable to the team than either of those, he's a CB so will peak later and play later, and hopefully the club will be in a slightly better position by then.

I'm hoping we're not applying these contract/wage principles blindly in every case.

Anyway, I think we can relax until next summer either way.

Guest Geordiesned

Those quotes are hardly conclusive proof he's away like. They basically read as "he's spent some good years in Spain and is flattered that Sevilla want him but it probably wont happen".

Chill out.

Totally, I agree, just difficult to avoid the selling all our best players vibe around here recently.

Difficult to avoid the selling all our players on high wages vibe.

Indifferent, as long as he is replaced with ... say... a David Luiz-type of player.

His current wages are scaringly high, and thus put him as the prime target No.1 to get rid of under the current regime.

Ba and Marveaux are possibly high-risk gambling due to their injury record, and the season can turn out to be a disaster if/when they get injured without decent backups.

Indifferent, as long as he is replaced with ... say... a David Luiz-type of player.

His current wages are scaringly high, and thus put him as the prime target No.1 to get rid of under the current regime.

Ba and Marveaux are possibly high-risk gambling due to their injury record, and the season can turn out to be a disaster if/when they get injured without decent backups.

He knows he'll not get his wage matched in his next offer be it from us or elsewhere. I think as long as we offer in the £50-55k bracket which we've been offering Nolan, and signing Cabaye on, he'll stay.

Makes me laugh that Ashley gave him the wages in the first place and, like Smith, was daft enough to sit in public with his name on his back.

Wonder if that registers at all with him? It's typical that Colo will finally have been earning his weekly wedge for a good three seasons (in my eyes at least, based on his performances) and he could run into a speed-bump when negotiating time comes around, after an indifferent start.

Hopefully we've progressed enough in the next 12 months to be able to raise our limits (which we should be looking to do if they truly have ambitions of top-six/Europe).

Naturally you have to pay more as you get better results. Not necessarily before you do, though.

I'd hope he'd accept some sort of pay cut and extension from us, even if he moves now after a solid season there isn't many team who'll match what he's getting right now. Depends if he sees a buying club as a better option for his career and International prospects, and whether they have a better chance than us to reach the CL, if so a pay cut might be worth considering. However in two years time it will be a drastic cut in wages, probably half and only a couple of years.

I could see him finishing his contract here and heading home for nowt, it seems a popular move for South Americans to do that.

He knows he'll not get his wage matched in his next offer be it from us or elsewhere. I think as long as we offer in the £50-55k bracket which we've been offering Nolan, and signing Cabaye on, he'll stay.

That might be true, but it remains to see whether he agrees with us, or decides to pursue his luck elsewhere. Nonetheless, I'm excited to see how Colo will perform this season, as he has spent some time now trying to adapt to English football. IMO he still has 2-3 good years ahead of him.

OptaJoe Opta Sports

148 – Newcastle United caught their opponents offside 148 times in the PL last season, the highest of all teams. Trap.

:thup:

Agree with cronky btw.

'Williccini used offside trap. It is super effective!'

Guest Recoba

The thing is, since Colo signed:

The value of sterling has decreased compared to euros, meaning his contract isn't worth as much as it was.

Taxes now hugely favour Spain. Meaning they could offer less wage but Colo could be better off.

We should pull out the stops to keep him.

He's as good in his position as Enrique is in his. We'll never be able to attract a player of equal quality, no matter what money we get for him.

It's going to be a messy situation this time next year.

He's as good in his position as Enrique is in his. We'll never be able to attract a player of equal quality, no matter what money we get for him.

yes we could. the thing with defenders is they don't make headlines like forwards do so good players often go unheard of. not many had heard of vidic before he signed for man utd but he's been very good and no doubt there are many more out there. bassong in his time here wasn't too far fromn where colo is and he was totally unheard of when he arrived.

the problem is it's always a risk....but not impossible.

yes we could. the thing with defenders is they don't make headlines like forwards do so good players often go unheard of. not many had heard of vidic before he signed for man utd but he's been very good and no doubt there are many more out there. bassong in his time here wasn't too far fromn where colo is and he was totally unheard of when he arrived.

Well, not impossible but highly unlikely then. Nothing's impossible.

It'll be a disappointing summer if we lose Colo. People talk about us losing the "lads" who bounced back and got us promotion, but Colo epitomises that bouncebackability more than anyone else. I think he is a class player and a class character.

Ball playing centre halves are a rarer breed. Id say good ones are hard to find but good ones who can fit into the pace of the English game are even harder to find.

I agree with your general point, but I think Colo is one of the exceptional unsellable players.

Having said that I think johnny Evans would be worth a look, hasn't been great recently but I think he has good potential.

Just out of interest..who do people think we'll get to replace Colo if he leaves?? They'll need to be just as good as Colo if not better (easier said than done) if our defence is going to look solid next season...

Mamadou Sakho  :snod:

Just out of interest..who do people think we'll get to replace Colo if he leaves?? They'll need to be just as good as Colo if not better (easier said than done) if our defence is going to look solid next season...

Mamadou Sakho  :snod:

Never heard of him...

You should ask Mimi.