Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I was hoping he'd have a great WC and attract lots of interest. Shame for him and us.

He was never going to get in the team anyway.

Aye. He was only an Argie squad defender playing in a 2nd division football side. He wasn't exactly front of the queue.

I really doubt he'd have had too many sleepless nights thinking about facing Martins tbh.

It's not like Martins starts in the first place, but if Ricardo Fuller can so conclusively dominate him, than I'd fancy Oba. Actually, I do seriously hope Colo's found his feet, considering he;s starting for us next season.

I'm just disappointed Argentina have dropped their defender who can't deal with strong, quick forwards. Would have been useful for our match against them.

Was alluding to this earlier. It's better that he's not there so that his weaknesses (which for all we know are still there) aren't exposed on such a big stage, something that could destroy his confidence. We simply wouldn't be able to move him if that happened.

Much rather he either continues playing well for us and so none of this is matters, or does poorly for us and gets moved on in January (probably a La Liga team) before the s*** really hits the fan (again).

Personally I'd try and shift Colo and strengthen other areas of the team. Nothing really against him but I don't think he is quite cut out for the premiership and I can see his head going down when the going gets tough. For me he is one of these defenders that are great at certain things but pretty poor at others and you need someone who can handle every type of player for the sort of money he is on.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he manages win the top tier this time.  In my view this would be the very worst tiome to cash in our chips on him.  We've waited 2 years for him to adapt and we might just be about to reap the rewards.

Oh Diego :lol: :

Diego Maradona involved in accident.

By Soccernet staff

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/789088/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

Argentina coach Diego Maradona was involved in a driving accident ahead of his World Cup announcement on Wednesday.

Maradona was surrounded by journalists on the way to his press conference in Buenos Aires and is reported to have accidentally driven over a cameraman's leg.

A witness said that Maradona's vehicle rolled over the man's leg and that the Argentina boss shouted: "What an asshole you are. How can you put your leg there where it can get run over, man?"

The man was treated by paramedics while Maradona continued to his press conference where he confirmed the identity of the 23 players that will represent the country in South Africa.

We don't have a better centre half than him though.

He wasn't as bad during our relegation season as some people make out.  He had a few bad games during a terrible season both on and off the field, a season when most players struggled.

He wasn't as bad during our relegation season as some people make out.  He had a few bad games during a terrible season both on and off the field, a season when most players struggled.

He was like.  You've just forgotten.

I was hoping he'd have a great WC and attract lots of interest. Shame for him and us.

We don't have a better left winger than Gutierrez but if we sold him for good money we could improve other positions.  Football is all about the collective unit, teams like Fulham are the perfect example of this, even Barcelona to be honest.  Look at Inter this season, sold their best player (arguably anyway) and used the money to get Snieijder, Lucio and Eto'o to improve the team as a whole.

Saying we shouldn't sell Coloccini because he's our best CB is a bit naive IMO, for the reason above.  That's not an attack on Coloccini and he is our best CB (although the criticism Taylor gets on here is way too harsh considering how comfortable he was in the Championship as well) I just think if we can sell one player to improve the team as a whole then we should do it.

Obviously, that is easier said than done and chances are we will struggle to find a replacement for Coloccini.

Guest Geordiesned

Saying we should sell our best players so we can use the money to improve the whole team is foolhardy IMO. Whilst Ashley is in charge why would any top players want to join us? The wages offered will be below those offered by so called smaller clubs and they'll know that they are unlikely to be joined by many if any other decent players. So we'd end up with money from selling players and a poorer squad. Not for the first time!

You were on his back by September though.

You were on his back by September though.

Because that's when his weaknesses started getting exposed. And he got progressively worse.

Just got to hope he's had a year to settle in this year playing against rubbish most weeks and that he carries his improved form into the Premier League.

• 2 months later...