Championship Players

Dan Gleebals

We (Swans) found we did very well against teams that wanted to play football against us but suffered against clogging hoofers.

Hence our good results against Burnley and bad against Sheff Utd.

We had no answer to the cloggers hoofing the ball up the field whose only purpose it appears was to stop us playing.

You got outplayed (football wise) by us at Vicarage Road. And we beat you up there in the cup! We outplayed Burnley at home too.  :aww:

Guest alankhaw

The last thing that football needs is thugs like Chris Morgan.

This thug will be playing against us next season. Can't wait...

Whilst talking about Championship players, we should look at how 2 former NE players, Robbie Blake and Steven Caldwell, have had the last laugh on the region and, in Caldwell's case, NUFC.

Both were in the Burnley side who won promotion to the Prem yesterday after the play-off final against Sheff Utd - both played major parts in the win, and Caldwell had the honour of lifting the trophy at the final whistle.

This after a season in which Burnley have taken some top Prem scalps(Arsenal, Chelsea, WBA and a win at Spurs)in the Cup competitions, making the overpaid Prima Donnas of NUFC look like second-rate tossers(as indeed most of them are).

Can anyone doubt that Caldwell must have had a wry thought about how he, rejected by NUFC, has exchanged places with his former club? None of us can begrudge him a bit of schadenfreude at our expense either...!

Blake(a Boro lad) was sold by Darlington in 1997, and has since had a successful career in lower leagues, although he did figure in the Prem with Bradford and Birmingham  - now, at the age of 33, he too has seen his local club, Boro, exchange places with him, whilst the club where he began his real career, Darlington, is on the verge of going out of business ! Can anyone wonder why players who leave the NE often do better with other clubs ?

Both of these lads deserve the highest praise(along with their team-mates) for what they have achieved this season - they have put the players who have so disgraced the B & W shirt to shame.

Not forgetting their manager, Owen Coyle, who has worked miracles with the smallest squad in the Championship - so much for foreign managers always being the best..

Burnley do not have the resources to ensure their Prem stay will be a long one, but I wish them every success - they have restored some(ONLY some)of my faith in the modern game.

Also, they had to battle hard to keep out a determined and youthful Sheff Utd side - this is a warning to anyone who thinks next season will be easy ; I reckon our team of faint-hearts would have been over-run by Sheffield's physical approach and fitness - expect plenty of THAT next season....!

Fabian Delph and Luciano Becchio from Leeds looked very good players when I saw them play in the early part of the season. Mattock at left back as well as Chris Eagles as someone mentioned before. Though my knowledge of Championship players is rather limited :(

Er, quite clearly I didn't mean we should look to actually buy Chris Morgan. :idiot2:

I mean we need some fucking backbone, like he gives them. I don't give a toss if you lot think he's a thug, the fact is he's their inspiration from the back where we have nothing. We're soft as shit throughout the entire team (with the exception of Barton who we all know is a mentalist anyway) and that just won't do in this league.

We certainly need a hard case at the back at the very least least. Look at Chris Morgan.

Is that a joke? ???

God I hope so.

We need someone to do what Morgan does for Sheff Utd is how I read it.

And he's spot on too. We need a true leader in the back 4 to organise things and deal with the physical stuff we're going to encounter. To pretend we can just keep the same squad and just play our way out of the division is pie in the f***ing sky. We're going to have to fight tooth and nail to compete.

Morgan is no leader, he's a thug that should have been thrown out of the league for what he did to Ian Hume. We can still play in this league with class even if we sell our players, you buy cloggers and go up and you'll come straight back down when you ask them to try pass.

dont ask them to start passing then - see stoke city

we should be building a team that has what it takes to get promoted not a team that we think might do ok in the Premiership.  I think whoever we sign will be seen as not good enough as people still are in the mindset that we are a premiership club.

We certainly need a hard case at the back at the very least least. Look at Chris Morgan.

Is that a joke? ???

God I hope so.

We need someone to do what Morgan does for Sheff Utd is how I read it.

And he's spot on too. We need a true leader in the back 4 to organise things and deal with the physical stuff we're going to encounter. To pretend we can just keep the same squad and just play our way out of the division is pie in the f***ing sky. We're going to have to fight tooth and nail to compete.

Morgan is no leader, he's a thug that should have been thrown out of the league for what he did to Ian Hume. We can still play in this league with class even if we sell our players, you buy cloggers and go up and you'll come straight back down when you ask them to try pass.

dont ask them to start passing then - see stoke city

we should be building a team that has what it takes to get promoted not a team that we think might do ok in the Premiership.  I think whoever we sign will be seen as not good enough as people still are in the mindset that we are a premiership club.

A team that would do ok in the Prem would surely be a team that does well in the Championship? We need that base, we need to keep 4/5 of our Prem quality players (not the best players, just ones that would still get into a Prem side a la Beye/Enrique). We should be looking to be in the Championship for only one year, a transitional period where we get our act together. Having no PL quality at all basically means that we'd turn into a yoyo club, that's the area i really don't want to be in and then we'd have to spend copious amounts to replace players if we get promoted, and probably for higher prices. This time NUFC has to be smart with it's money, we should not make it public knowledge on how much we have because i don't want teams ripping us off. We should be planing as much for the season after next, i'm not saying it's a gimmee we'll be promoted but our intentions and plan A must be to get promoted next season and gain stability in the Prem after that.

Aren't we over-estimating the strength of these sides? WBA got promoted from that division, playing football at that.

I think one problem is the sheer number of teams in the Championship who are capable of going on a run of wins.  A very good team could wind up mid table if they meet a lot of opposion teams on the top of their game.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Starting 11 for first game of the season

Krul

Beye

Taylor

Bassong

Enrique

Gunnarson (Coventry)

Wiltshire (Arsenal loan)

Big powerful midfielder

Duff

Scotland

Cox

Starting 11 for first game of the season

Krul

Beye

Taylor

Bassong

Enrique

Gunnarson (Coventry)

Wiltshire (Arsenal loan)

Big powerful midfielder

Duff

Scotland

Cox

Doubtful, Butt and Harper will certainly be in there. Also be surprised if Enrique and Bassong remain.

Harper

Beye

Taylor

Kadar

R.Taylor

New

New

Butt

Duff

Shola

Carroll

Not sure if he has been mentioned, he is not a Championship player but according to Sky Sports News Daniel Sturridge is not signing a new contract with Man City this season so will be available for free. He'd be worth a punt, has always looked useful when I have seen him. He is young and will be hungry to prove himself, this is the type of player we need. Whether he would see the Championship as too much of a step down is another matter.

Not sure if he has been mentioned, he is not a Championship player but according to Sky Sports News Daniel Sturridge is not signing a new contract with Man City this season so will be available for free. He'd be worth a punt, has always looked useful when I have seen him. He is young and will be hungry to prove himself, this is the type of player we need. Whether he would see the Championship as too much of a step down is another matter.

Was he not rumoured to be looking for something crazy like 40k a week?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Exactly the type of player who got us into this situation in the first place. Apparantly turned down 60k a week at city

Wilshere of Arsenal is a good shout, it just depends on what Wenger thinks of this club, if he thinks we are a complete mess then there are a lot of good stable Championship clubs that would take him. I can see Boro and WBA getting the jump on any loanees.

Aren't we over-estimating the strength of these sides? WBA got promoted from that division, playing football at that.

Individually, there IS a risk of over-estimating some Championship players, but as we should know, football success is mainly achieved by strong TEAMS - NOT a team of individuals who look good on paper ; this is esp true of the Championship, where graft and fitness will get a side much further than in the Prem if they don't have any outstanding individuals.

As for WBA, yes, they DID get up playing football but their first few months in the Prem were blighted by injury, esp to some of their better defenders ; also, as we know, the gap between the C'ship & Prem is getting bigger and a team MUST strengthen in key positions when they get promoted - as Bryan Robson has said, Albion's current chairman CANNOT provide big funds for that, and I think Mowbray did a decent job in such a situation....NUFC fans have also seen what happens when a Chairman doesn't get his hand in his pocket, or rather, doesn't let his manager spend the money on players HE wants, rather than some jumped-up, so-called DOF....!!

Individually, there IS a risk of over-estimating some Championship players, but as we should know, football success is mainly achieved by strong TEAMS - NOT a team of individuals who look good on paper ; this is esp true of the Championship, where graft and fitness will get a side much further than in the Prem if they don't have any outstanding individuals.

As for WBA, yes, they DID get up playing football but their first few months in the Prem were blighted by injury, esp to some of their better defenders ; also, as we know, the gap between the C'ship & Prem is getting bigger and a team MUST strengthen in key positions when they get promoted - as Bryan Robson has said, Albion's current chairman CANNOT provide big funds for that, and I think Mowbray did a decent job in such a situation....NUFC fans have also seen what happens when a Chairman doesn't get his hand in his pocket, or rather, doesn't let his manager spend the money on players HE wants, rather than some jumped-up, so-called DOF....!!

this is why we must focus on youth even if it means we dont get instant promotion. There is no way we can afford to buy two teams in two years, we need to find a team that can improve into a Premier League team, as year in year out we see teams like West Brom whom can only obtain players good enough tho get promotion but not stay up.

Wilshere of Arsenal is a good shout, it just depends on what Wenger thinks of this club, if he thinks we are a complete mess then there are a lot of good stable Championship clubs that would take him. I can see Boro and WBA getting the jump on any loanees.

Too young, Wenger would rather play them in the Carling Cup than send them out most of the time, especially the cream.