Sol Campbell leaves Notts County

Skirge

Guest Brazilianbob

Experience is the key to good defence so I am all for signing Campell.  I always felt the thing that made Tony Adams such a good centre back was his complete lack of mobility which meant he was never, or was rarely, caught out of position.  Campbell can do that for us.

Guest Phil K

So what kind of wage do people think he'll be on?

I think he will be on a basic 30,000 a week with a promotion bonus . But would he accept it?

At his age he's got no more than 2 seasons left, and who else would pay that wage ?

He'd be good to bring on a young lad to replace Taylor if he goes, or Collo if he stays.

We had higher attendance than all of the premier league games on Saturday except for Chelsea home, and Everton who only had 3k more than us. Says something bout this club.

Its the main reason why the media hates us.

They keep trying to say we aren't what we are, and we keep proving them wrong.

If the makems get into the top 6 the same will happen to them.

I think he will be on a basic 30,000 a week with a promotion bonus . But would he accept it?

At his age he's got no more than 2 seasons left, and who else would pay that wage ?

He'd be good to bring on a young lad to replace Taylor if he goes, or Collo if he stays.

Depends on who is signing him.

The last few pages on here have got me very depressed.

It is plain to see that many of us have learned absolutely nothing of the folly of our decline being hastened by the signing of players whose best years are behind them.

Young, hungry, up and coming players only from now on please.

But players with potential still need experienced players around them to learn from.  Naybet for 2 years taught Ledley King a massive amount.  As much as I detest the bloke, Taylor could learn just as much with that quality of defender alongside him.

Depends on who is signing him.

Don't think he'll be on anywhere near that way to be honest. He knows he's not wanted in the top flight and we're getting rid of big earners. I have no doubts he's on a pretty cheap contract when he comes just so he's still at a "big club" and has the chance of Premiership football. I'm sure he'll have the option of a nice bonus payment if we go up.

Guest Phil K

Being paid extra for actually ACHIEVING something is sensible.

Michael Owen is a perfect example for NOT paying over the top for no guaranteed return (B*stard that he is and always will be)

Campbell here would be great for defenders like Kader and Taylor who can only learn from him. We've lacked quality experienced centre backs for years. I can remember even Bramble looked far better alongside Woodgate.

Sol Campbell says he'd love to sign for Toon

Aug 17 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/17/sol-campbell-says-he-d-love-to-sign-for-toon-72703-24459084/

i hope so :)

i've always liked sol and even @ 34 he's got a good 2/3 seasons left in him and as has been said, he'd bring out the best in taylor

Guest The Libertine

Hull are in the Premier League, and will offer substantially higher wages.

If this is true I'm pretty sure we'll not get him.

slightly higher maybe, but nothing we couldnt match of we really wanted him.

Hull are in the Premier League, and will offer substantially higher wages.

If this is true I'm pretty sure we'll not get him.

slightly higher maybe, but nothing we couldnt match of we really wanted him.

Given the trend in our cost line and the trend in theirs, i'd say we still have more financial muscle than Hull, even in the lower division.

If we can keep Taylor and bring Campbell in, it would be a very positive step after our performance at the weekend.

Cant get my hopes up of both being here in September though.

ME too, but thinking positively getting Sol in might help keep Taylor at the club. No doubt as a young CB you must respect what Sol's achieved in his career and for a chance to learn from his experience could be a lure for Taylor.

Probably have neither like come September :doh:

With what we have cut from our wage bill already surely we can offer Sol a decent wage, he is on a free after all so no transfer costs

But then every other fucker will want it too, and we're right back in the same boat. We can only afford Sol Campbell if he's willing to come on Championship wages.