Sol Campbell leaves Notts County

Skirge

Guest Heneage

Not enthused about an aging player wanting a retirement fund.

Surely if that was the case then he'd have stayed at Notts County?

Had they signed the better players promised he would have.

Not enthused about an aging player wanting a retirement fund.

Better than Khiz, would be good for the likes of Kadar, Taylor, Tozer etc. to learn from. Only stumbling blocks for me would be cost and whether he'd want to be a guaranteed starter every week. Playing Taylor at full back and Campbell in the middle alongside Colo would give us extra physicality if it was required.

Successful Football teams are packed with players of dynamic athletisism sustainable for 90 minutes.

Not with expensive old men who have this in memories only.

Successful football teams often have a mixture e.g. Sherringham at ManU

Successful football teams also do what they need to to ensure they're playing at the top level. I'd have him.

Successful Football teams are packed with players of dynamic athletisism sustainable for 90 minutes.

I could not disagree more. The championship may not have the finesse in terms of skill level but it still has teams packed with hard working bust a gut athletes and that is the baseline attribute that you must start with to compete in football at these high levels. You must ensure this as a prerequisite.

This enduring infatuation with past names and their lingering reputations rather than the real world of current form got us relegated in the first place IMO.

I could not disagree more. The championship may not have the finesse in terms of skill level but it still has teams packed with hard working bust a gut athletes and that is the baseline attribute that you must start with to compete in football at these high levels. You must ensure this as a prerequisite.

Our top scorer and arguably most important player so far this season isn't a hard working bust a gut athlete.

To Be honest, although athletisism is preferred in CBs, it is probably the one position where it isn't absolutely essential. Good positional sense and strong reading of the game can make up for a lack of pace in a lot of situations. It's not as if he'll be expected to make countless lung-busting runs into the oppositions box every game.

To Be honest, although athletisism is preferred in CBs, it is probably the one position where it isn't absolutely essential. Good positional sense and strong reading of the game can make up for a lack of pace in a lot of situations. It's not as if he'll be expected to make countless lung-busting runs into the oppositions box every game.

It depends on how you play though. English teams play with the defence rather up the pitch compared to La Liga or Calcio, so CBs have to do plenty of running. Lack of athleticism can kill you in opposition's counterattacks.

Ferguson dips into this side of football too i would hardly class the following as dynamic athletes in the old age yet they all contributed to Man Uniteds title successes

Sheringham

Cantona

Laurent Blanc

Henrik Larsson

Even Andy Goram FFS

Cantona wasn't that old when he retired though, Blanc was finished by the time he went to Man Utd and Larsson hardly set the world alight but was a canny stop gap.

Ferguson dips into this side of football too i would hardly class the following as dynamic athletes in the old age yet they all contributed to Man Uniteds title successes

Sheringham

Cantona

Laurent Blanc

Henrik Larsson

Even Andy Goram FFS

Cantona wasn't that old when he retired though, Blanc was finished by the time he went to Man Utd and Larsson hardly set the world alight but was a canny stop gap.

I don't know about that. He was a good signing for them at the time, and as I recall, Ferguson wanted to extend his stay.

Sheringham

Cantona

Laurent Blanc

Henrik Larsson

Even Andy Goram FFS

I don't know about that. He was a good signing for them at the time, and as I recall, Ferguson wanted to extend his stay.

So did we, but he said he preferred to go and retire in his country.

Sheringham

Cantona

Laurent Blanc

Henrik Larsson

Even Andy Goram FFS

He only scored once iirc.