A brief guide to the Championship - see OP

Dave

Is that right Dave about us being in the League Cup first round? I always thought the Premier League and top teams in the Championship skipped round 1? The only time i remember us ever playing in round 1 was Mansfield in 1992.

It may well have changed mind, since then.

It was one of the headlines on the Sky Sports News little ticker thingy. It's not really worthy of being news though, is it? :lol:

Is that right Dave about us being in the League Cup first round? I always thought the Premier League and top teams in the Championship skipped round 1? The only time i remember us ever playing in round 1 was Mansfield in 1992.

First round - Championship, League One and League Two, unless in Europe.

Second round - Premier League, unless in Europe.

Third round - everyone else.

Guest BooBoo

First round - Championship, League One and League Two, unless in Europe.

Second round - Premier League, unless in Europe.

Third round - everyone else.

Ta.

I suppose we should be glad at least the Anglo Italian Cup has been scrapped.

Ah those halcyon days- Bari, Luccese, Notts County.....

I really don't care about the cups this season, we should focus on promotion, so if we went out in the 1st rounds of them both I wouldn't mind, unless it was to Sunderland, or a League1 or 2 team, or Doncaster, I'll get a bit of stick if we went out against Doncaster. I'm really hoping that I get a ticket away to Donny, and it's not when I'm on hoilday, I have family down their, and a friend of the family who is a Celtic supporter said he would go to the Donny game with me and cheer us on. I'm going to see if he'll go to the Sheffield games and the Barnsley game aswell.

Good news about BBC though, hopefully we will have a large coverage by BBC and Sky, I think that maybe viewing figures for the Championship may actually go up this season as we are in, shame Leeds didn't come up, it would of been one hell of a league, and more interesting then the EPL.

I really don't care about the cups this season, we should focus on promotion, so if we went out in the 1st rounds of them both I wouldn't mind, unless it was to Sunderland, or a League1 or 2 team, or Doncaster,

The Burnley players said it was a welcome distraction. Gave them a reason to just play for enjoyment

There used to be a website where you could stick your post code in and it would tell you how many miles every ground in the country is from there. Can't for the life of me remember what is was though, anybody know?

How does it work with the Football League selling overseas TV rights? It's not beyond the realms of possibility that some foreign TV networks could approach them to buy rights of games as we do have decent support in some countries.

Are there still the same restraints as the Premier League? Or could we hawk our own TV coverage around with a view to adding some shekels to the coffers?

There used to be a website where you could stick your post code in and it would tell you how many miles every ground in the country is from there. Can't for the life of me remember what is was though, anybody know?

There was a thread on here about it, search for "Local Club" or something similar, might turn up.

edit: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,57668.0.html

Ah, just reading Wiki.

Sometimes (depending on the number of clubs competing in Europe, whether or not they play in The Football League and whether a preliminary round would be an easier way to even up the numbers) it is necessary to give one or more clubs a bye to the second round. The clubs would be those eligible to compete in the First Round who finished highest in the English football league system last season (normally clubs relegated from the FA Premier League).

So it's not a rule. I guess we'll find out if it applies to us but as things stand we're in at round one.

Ah, just reading Wiki.

Sometimes (depending on the number of clubs competing in Europe, whether or not they play in The Football League and whether a preliminary round would be an easier way to even up the numbers) it is necessary to give one or more clubs a bye to the second round. The clubs would be those eligible to compete in the First Round who finished highest in the English football league system last season (normally clubs relegated from the FA Premier League).

So it's not a rule. I guess we'll find out if it applies to us but as things stand we're in at round one.

I had been wonering why SSN had "Newcastle will enter league cup from 1st round next season" on the news ticker on Monday, didn't think it was news. But I guess it was for clarification purposes.

Ah, just reading Wiki.

Ah right. Cheers. I was starting to feel stupid as im sure I can remember relegated clubs given a bye. That must have been why then.

Guest gggg

Burnley's wage bill this season was £8m, Bristol City's was £7m.

Our released players add up to more than that.  :nope:

Just realised I better update my bookmarks to championship pages instead of the prem :(

Also, I think a lot of players will join this summer as we'll need a large squad to cope with the constant games this season. How many more games do we play in the champ?

Just realised I better update my bookmarks to championship pages instead of the prem :(

Also, I think a lot of players will join this summer as we'll need a large squad to cope with the constant games this season. How many more games do we play in the champ?

Just the extra eight league games and the extra round in the League Cup.

Just the extra eight league games and the extra round in the League Cup.

Plus the possibility of playoffs, and the fact that if for once we get a few shit sides in either cup theres a chance we could end up having a longer run than our usual one or two rounds.