A brief guide to the Championship - see OP

Dave

Just realised I better update my bookmarks to championship pages instead of the prem :(

Also, I think a lot of players will join this summer as we'll need a large squad to cope with the constant games this season. How many more games do we play in the champ?

Just the extra eight league games and the extra round in the League Cup.

Not anymore, we enter the League Cup at the same stage as the teams in the Premiership who arn't in Europe.

Guest Roger Kint

There used to be a website where you could stick your post code in and it would tell you how many miles every ground in the country is from there. Can't for the life of me remember what is was though, anybody know?

Why not just use AA route finder? Will be within a mile of each.

What's the highest fee paid/received for a Championship club?

What's the most money spent in a season on a Championship club? (and received?)

What's the highest seated attendance?

Football League will be moving to 7 substitutes as of the coming season. Like the Prem did last year.

Sweet. We'll only be able to name about two but good news for everyone else i guess.

in the press today PNE are announcing that they will give us (and blackpool) the entire tom finney stand for when we play there capacity 5,500 as opposed to the usual 3,500 allocation.

should be canny, haven't been to deepdale in years. it's changed a lot since i was there.

• 3 weeks later...
2009/10 Overseas TV

As promised, we've now managed to get some information on possible overseas coverage of Championship matches featuring Newcastle United next season.

The Football League confirm that broadcast licences have now been agreed in the following territories enabling both live and highlights packages to be shown:

Albania - Rryci/Supersport

Australia - Fox Sports

Azerbaijan - Media Eye (Agent)

Bulgaria - CME Programming

Cyprus - TV Pro Sport

Czech Republic - PragoSport (Agent)

France - Orange

Greece - TV Pro Sport

Hungary - PragoSport (Agent)

Italy - Sport Italia

Malta - Melita Cable

Pan-Asia - Goal TV

Poland - IKO

Romania - PragoSport (Agent)

Scandinavia - TV4

Slovaki - PragoSport (Agent)

Turkey - Media Eye (Agent)

Yugoslavia (former) - IKO

USA - Setanta

However, there's no concrete guarantee as yet that any of our games will be shown in live or recorded form in any overseas territory - the above listing is merely an attempt at showing who has the legal option to show our games.

Not all of the licence holders are broadcasters - those marked as (Agent) hold reselling rights, which may or may not be taken up by broadcasters. Similarly, not all of the licence holders broadcast under their own names, meaning that matches could appear on different channels.

The picture should start to become clearer as the season approaches and finalised schedules are published. When that happens we'll try and share that information with you, but if you're overseas and see that the toon are advertised as being on your TV, please let us know.

PS: we also asked the Football League about the rights position for streaming audio commentary of Championship games next season. They answered thus: "..the only place that this can be made available is on the subscription section of the club website."

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, well informed team-by-team season preview for the Championship, including players in and out, new managers and any other changes/major concerns/improvements. Predicts us coming in 14th place. Worth a read:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=664879&sec=england&root=england&cc=5901

Money quote on Newcastle: "They are in the unfortunate position of being both the prize scalp in the division and utterly unprepared for it."

their predicted table is probably the best ive seen.....maybe swap leicester and QPR and put bristol city a bit higher. only at newcastle can FFT and the independent predict you to finish 1st, yet the times say 20th.

when are we gonna have the NO predictions 2009-10?