Savage article in the Times about the club - not for the sensitive

Cronky

I got through the first couple of paragraphs, then bored to death with the rant. Although I agree that a love for the club is not a pre-requiste for the role, I think he's not looking at the real reason why people have faith in Shearer being a good choice.

Most sane people that follow the club, see Shearer as having all the necessary tools to become a success in a role as manager of the club. He's single minded, was a model pro, a true winner, an intelligent person, excellent with the media and not stupid enough or arrogant enough to think he can do it all on his own. He's also a big enough name to lure in potential transfer targets, demand instant respect and also because of his status with the supporters he'll be given the time to put things right.

I'll file this in the overflowing folder of "Crap southern journo, talking a bunch of un educated un researched s**** about the Toon."

Why cant people take a step away from being a fan and look at everything from both sides before branding stuff as 'crap'.  We as fans obviously are going to be biased and protective over whats written about Newcastle.  However if you read it,  he is simply stating Shearer is only here because of his hero status  (which is of course true), that there are more qualified people then him and we haven't been impressive at all since he has been here. 

Of course he missed a few points ie:  players are spineless, and his leadership skills and the way he unites the club together.  He has some good point though. 

But afar is right actually, the guy is talking complete bollocks. Trying to spout off some view as if we all base our ideas for the appointment of a new manager on simply whether he made us happy this one time.

Who else was around that would have taken us on in the relegation zone with a few games left? Not only risk becoming the guy who relegated Newcastle United, but someone who actually might have the ability to keep us up also. Shearer has always been a leader, worked under top managers, worked along side them also, he cares about newcastle (Not a worthless point as this guy claims when you have a side that look unmotivated, slow & like they could care less) & on top of that might actually be able to show them a thing or two in training. Ie how to deal with set pieces, how to cross a ball, how to strike a ball well etc etc pretty much all the key areas we had weaknesses in.

Yet somehow the sole reason people liked his appointment was because he was a class player that one time? Because clearly we had so many top class managers we rejected & then went for him instead did we ?

That whole notion that keeps going around is completely moronic.

Keegan appointment was a good idea also, its likely he saved us from relegation last season. No one could forsee that things would turn out as they did, that doesnt make his appointment a bad idea. It makes sticking with the s*** system we had over him a s*** idea. He actually had us playing class football - just as he had done before - just as he has done at all the clubs hes ever managed, he found us class players - just as he has done before at all the other clubs hes managed etcetc We didnt lose to a single side that finished outside the top 6 last season i think it was whilst under him. So again, this whole idea of us going for managers purely for sentimental reasons & this being why we havent won anything bollocks is completely laughable & based on nothing whatsoever.

'and then got the train home wondering if this tedious soap opera will ever end.'

For me, this is the remark of a man, who for whatever reason, the high profile of our club , sticks in his craw.

one of the many followers of other clubs , who dislike us cos we are well supported.

I got through the first couple of paragraphs, then bored to death with the rant. Although I agree that a love for the club is not a pre-requiste for the role, I think he's not looking at the real reason why people have faith in Shearer being a good choice.

Most sane people that follow the club, see Shearer as having all the necessary tools to become a success in a role as manager of the club. He's single minded, was a model pro, a true winner, an intelligent person, excellent with the media and not stupid enough or arrogant enough to think he can do it all on his own. He's also a big enough name to lure in potential transfer targets, demand instant respect and also because of his status with the supporters he'll be given the time to put things right.

I'll file this in the overflowing folder of "Crap southern journo, talking a bunch of un educated un researched s**** about the Toon."

Why cant people take a step away from being a fan and look at everything from both sides before branding stuff as 'crap'.  We as fans obviously are going to be biased and protective over whats written about Newcastle.  However if you read it,  he is simply stating Shearer is only here because of his hero status  (which is of course true), that there are more qualified people then him and we haven't been impressive at all since he has been here. 

Of course he missed a few points ie:  players are spineless, and his leadership skills and the way he unites the club together.  He has some good point though. 

Because I know more about the issues with my club that this jumped up little southern git, that's why. It's complete and utter garabage, there are some decent journo's who have no association with the region but do talk a lot of sense, this guy is not one of them.

I think that if you strip away some of the hyperbole and ranting in that article, he makes some good points.

Why did Ashley appoint Shearer when it was clear someone needed to take over from Kinnear?

Why didn't he go for someone with experience? There's no guarantee that it would have worked, but it would have stood more chance.

Shearer might turn out to be a great manager in the future, but it is a hell of a gamble  (a losing one on evidence so far, but next season is another gamble) to appoint someone with no managerial experience whatsoever.

The one thing I can think of in giving him the job is the motivational aspect, that he'd motivate the players to really dig deep and get you out of trouble, but - as i said the other day - though teams like Hull and Stoke (who I think are much worse on paper) came to our place and battled like fuck, and in Stoke's case got something, your players looked entirely unmotivated, and just not bothered on Sunday, so if that was the plan, it didn't work either.

The thrust of that article which i think is most valid, is that next season, with less revenue, possibly financial problems, the need to wheel and deal and scrap and fight to get out of the division as soon as you possibly can, a canny, wily experienced campaigner would surely be the best bet.

It doesn't necessarily have to be someone who is out of the game or anything, I actually think Bruce would go to you, example, despite your having been relegated.

They need a man who can state the truths the supporters do not want to hear; who can perform reconstructive surgery on a team that have lost all semblance of unity and coherence; a man who is hard-headed, hard-nosed and has spent hardly any time on Tyneside and is thus untainted by the delirium.

They need a man with a proven track record of management; a man who can finesse an understandably panicky owner; above all they need a man with the deep and long experience capable of persuading the good players to stay (and, let’s be honest, there are not many of those), who can get rid of the dross without the whole thing descending into a fire sale, and who can go into an infinitely complex global marketplace, identify a new crop of talented youngsters and persuade them that Newcastle are not a busted flush, but a club that can ride high once again.

And the new manager needs to do this with a close eye on the rapidly deteriorating finances, a deep awareness of the long-term contractual implications of his manoeuvrings in the transfer market and with a nose for how his string of new signings will cope with the unique demands of the Coca-Cola Championship, a league that is different in style, pace, philosophy and tempo from the Barclays Premier League.

Shearer, it hardly needs stating, is qualified for none of these tasks and it is symptomatic of the delusional contagion in the North East that so many supporters think he is.

I'm inclined to agree with the above and have been thinking much the same myself.

Is Shearer the right man? One win and one draw as manager? No experience of the Championship?

Maybe.

But right now the only box he ticks, as far as I can see, is that the knee-jerk element among our fans -- the ones whose ridiculous protests had such an undeniably negative effect on our season -- will accept him and give him a bit of time.

I think that if you strip away some of the hyperbole and ranting in that article, he makes some good points.

Why did Ashley appoint Shearer when it was clear someone needed to take over from Kinnear?

Why didn't he go for someone with experience? There's no guarantee that it would have worked, but it would have stood more chance.

Shearer might turn out to be a great manager in the future, but it is a hell of a gamble  (a losing one on evidence so far, but next season is another gamble) to appoint someone with no managerial experience whatsoever.

The one thing I can think of in giving him the job is the motivational aspect, that he'd motivate the players to really dig deep and get you out of trouble, but - as i said the other day - though teams like Hull and Stoke (who I think are much worse on paper) came to our place and battled like f***, and in Stoke's case got something, your players looked entirely unmotivated, and just not bothered on Sunday, so if that was the plan, it didn't work either.

The thrust of that article which i think is most valid, is that next season, with less revenue, possibly financial problems, the need to wheel and deal and scrap and fight to get out of the division as soon as you possibly can, a canny, wily experienced campaigner would surely be the best bet.

It doesn't necessarily have to be someone who is out of the game or anything, I actually think Bruce would go to you, example, despite your having been relegated.

why not go for someone with experience ? outside of steve bruce (whom i don't think would have came in sept or now) who else would've come here. if you are talking even lower down the leagues then you could say shearer has more experience of working with players at this level and more knowledge of how a club of this size works.

the thrust of the article is that nufc fans just want shearer because he is an nufc hero.........so is pedro,gazza, rob lee and philipe....neither of which i think would cut it as a manager.

I don't know why people keep making a deal out of the fact Shearer has no experience of the Championship. His assistant has plenty.

Because there is no story if you bring him into the equation and that would spoil everything

I don't know why people keep making a deal out of the fact Shearer has no experience of the Championship. His assistant has plenty.

Neither is it a requirement to have any. KK didn't. Owen Coyle just got Burnley promoted with zero championship experience. Roy Keane had no managerial experience whatsover before he won the league with the Mackems.

It's a red herring to think you need to know about the way the league works, it's the same as any other division the teams with the best players and most sound managers will be at the top. It's not rocket science or a completely different game to the PL, it's still freaking football.

Managerial experience is a great deal less important at Championship level imo. Less tactical nouse required because the game is less negative. Loads of upcoming new managers have breezed the Championship and been found out immediately at Premiership level. None of us know how Shearer will do as a boss but I'm not worried about his suitability for the Championship.

Neither is it a requirement to have any. KK didn't. Owen Coyle just got Burnley promoted with zero championship experience. Roy Keane had no managerial experience whatsover before he won the league with the Mackems.

It's a red herring to think you need to know about the way the league works, it's the same as any other division the teams with the best players and most sound managers will be at the top. It's not rocket science or a completely different game to the PL, it's still freaking football.

:thup:

Managerial experience is a great deal less important at Championship level imo. Less tactical nouse required because the game is less negative. Loads of upcoming new managers have breezed the Championship and been found out immediately at Premiership level. None of us know how Shearer will do as a boss but I'm not worried about his suitability for the Championship.

and also :thup:

one of the many followers of other clubs , who dislike us cos we are well supported.

:snod:

Unbelievable the column inches that we generate from journalists making us into a big club by endlessly and boringly claiming that we're not one.  Honestly, it's only the press and other supporters that go on about our divine rights and delusions.

There's a point to this article, I suppose, but TBH if all I wanted was cold hard logical decisions with no passion or spirit, I would start going to watch international chess tournaments rather than football.  Would rather Shearer had a shot and failed than just immediately replacing the team and manager with a bunch of Allardyce-esque robots who'll do us a job and entertain us not one bit.  Maybe that's just me, though :)

Nail Hit on head, squarely,

he wants the Soap opera to end, by earning a good living writing about it for a National Paper, and he doesn't see the irony.

Guest fraser

Shearer got more points from his eight games than Keegan did from his first eight (I think!); the timing was poor, I have absolute confidence in him.

People have been calling for Shearer to cut his teeth at a lower level nows his chance. The jury is still out on the guy no doubt.

If any other manager had the results Shearer had the majority would be going mental, Shearer buys extra patience, patience that the media keep on harping on about when we change a manager. The media forget the shite they gave Blackburn for sacking Paul Ince. Anyway I am off course here, but they say he has no Championship experience. Paul Ince didn't have any League 2 experience and did a pretty good job same as Gus Poyet, okay when they have moved into Premiership roles they have struggled but we need to worry about the Championship. Keane didnt do a bad job did he... We simply don't know at this stage, given the situation I think he is the right man for the job.

Barcelona gave the job to Pep Guardiola despite having no managerial experience in the Spanish top division

Barcelona didn't have eight matches to save themselves from relegation though.

Barcelona gave the job to Pep Guardiola despite having no managerial experience in the Spanish top division

Neither do we.  We're already down :)

I'm talking about when you brought him in originally.

I appreciate that mate but even into next season from the start of the season, it appears that journalists are still throwing up the "lack of experience" tag

Experience doesn't bother me.  It is totally overrated and bares little correlation to success.  Ideas and intelligence matter more.  Guardiola, Martinez at Swansea, Keegan in his first stint, Zola....the list goes on.  I do wonder if Shearer can be ruthless enough with his mates like Butt and Duff, but time will tell. 

I wish Syed would have named some of the obvious alternatives by the way.  Combine Kinnear, Allardyce and Souness and you must be looking at 50+ years of managerial experience. 

There are good points, but I have faith in Shearer because I know if he's appointed he won't cut corners. He has inside experience of where the club has been mismanaged in the past. He will insist on making the club professional from top to bottom. He will demand respect from the owner and chairman along with the necessary tools to do his job, and he won't be fobbed off with hollow promises.

Fair enough, but that's not what the article's talking about; it's talking about the new permanent appointment.  Given that Shearer had only eight games and an utterly wank squad to work with, his failure to keep us up hasn't really got that much bearing on how he'd perform in the Championship.

Not only that but he does reference the end of this season:

For the record, Shearer’s tenure has been a failure in almost every possible way, bar his ability to deflect criticism from his own inadequacies during post-match press conferences. He managed a derisory one win in eight games, executed tactical shifts and machinations that made Claudio Ranieri, the Tinkerman, seem like a rock of stability, but, most damningly of all, the St James’ Park hero failed even to inspire the passion and resolve in the players in what was the whole point of the exercise.

I think it is unfair to level the finger of blame at him for what happened in the last eight games, but I do think it was a strange decision given the circumstances at the time

Fair enough, but that's not what the article's talking about; it's talking about the new permanent appointment.  Given that Shearer had only eight games and an utterly wank squad to work with, his failure to keep us up hasn't really got that much bearing on how he'd perform in the Championship.

Not only that but he does reference the end of this season:

For the record, Shearer’s tenure has been a failure in almost every possible way, bar his ability to deflect criticism from his own inadequacies during post-match press conferences. He managed a derisory one win in eight games, executed tactical shifts and machinations that made Claudio Ranieri, the Tinkerman, seem like a rock of stability, but, most damningly of all, the St James’ Park hero failed even to inspire the passion and resolve in the players in what was the whole point of the exercise.

I think it is unfair to level the finger of blame at him for what happened in the last eight games, but I do think it was a strange decision given the circumstances at the time

it was a typical erratic ashley decision. however you have to put the timing of the appointment into context - its not shearer's fault that he was approached with 8 games left. it was a fucking hideous display of incompetence that Ashley delayed a new appointment until such a late stage when it wouldve took a top drawer manager to turn us around. something shearer is not. ashley shouldve been on the lookout for a new manager either as soon as he decided he was staying in december, or as soon as kinnear took ill in february. football suicide to wait so long, it was painful every day he failed to act.

also i cant argue that much with the bit you just quoted. not that it means a great deal regarding how shearer will turn out in the long run. and despite some real faults he has also shown some encouraging signs. far too early to make a judgement, though it will probably be easier for him in the championship. if he wasnt already here i dont think id advocate his appointment, but since he is we may as well stick with him.

it was a typical erratic ashley decision. also i cant argue that much with the bit you just quoted. not that it means a great deal regarding how shearer will turn out in the long run. and despite some real faults he has also shown some encouraging signs. far too early to make a judgement, though it will probably be easier for him in the championship. if he wasnt already here i dont think id advocate his appointment, but since he is we may as well stick with him.

I have to say, I was very impressed with his interview after the game.

He's made it clear what his opinion is in terms of the level of "wrongness" and Id imagine in that in the discussions he is having with Ashley now, he's discussing what he wants to do to put it right, and - most importantly - what he needs. I bet none of it is nice listening for Ashley.

I just hope Ashley backs him. Not just with cash, but in the sense of letting him run the club. I understand what is one of the conditions O'Neill laid down for taking the job with us - "I run things" - and although it sometimes has its down sides, at least in a situation like that, you know that if the manager fucks up, it is because he's made mistakes, not because he's been working within a structure which is a mess, and which he can't influence.

In circumstances like those, the best manager in the world will struggle to succeed.

Shepherd (from what I've read on here) doesn't seem the type of man who would have placed that level of trust in his manager, and I don't know if Ashey is either, but surely this is a massive, massive opportunity for Ashley to gain redemption in the way he has run the club, but also - in cold hard business terms - to recoup some of the money he's lost in the lowered value of the club, and that he'll continue to lose year on year if you stay down.

it was a typical erratic ashley decision. also i cant argue that much with the bit you just quoted. not that it means a great deal regarding how shearer will turn out in the long run. and despite some real faults he has also shown some encouraging signs. far too early to make a judgement, though it will probably be easier for him in the championship. if he wasnt already here i dont think id advocate his appointment, but since he is we may as well stick with him.

I have to say, I was very impressed with his interview after the game.

He's made it clear what his opinion is in terms of the level of "wrongness" and Id imagine in that in the discussions he is having with Ashley now, he's discussing what he wants to do to put it right, and - most importantly - what he needs. I bet none of it is nice listening for Ashley.

I just hope Ashley backs him. Not just with cash, but in the sense of letting him run the club. I understand what is one of the conditions O'Neill laid down for taking the job with us - "I run things" - and although it sometimes has its down sides, at least in a situation like that, you know that if the manager fucks up, it is because he's made mistakes, not because he's been working within a structure which is a mess, and which he can't influence.

In circumstances like those, the best manager in the world will struggle to succeed.

Shepherd (from what I've read on here) doesn't seem the type of man who would have placed that level of trust in his manager, and I don't know if Ashey is either, but surely this is a massive, massive opportunity for Ashley to gain redemption in the way he has run the club, but also - in cold hard business terms - to recoup some of the money he's lost in the lowered value of the club, and that he'll continue to lose year on year if you stay down.

yes i think you've got to try and let a manager build the club in his image, a bit like O'Neill at Villa who has a network of scouts, a couple of coaches he trusts with his life, and real control over a transfer kitty (even if it frustrates lerner). as you say the one thing that stands out as being encouraging about shearer is he has a fair idea about what is wrong behind the scenes and is enough of a ruthless bastard to fix it.

The one thing I can think of in giving him the job is the motivational aspect, that he'd motivate the players to really dig deep and get you out of trouble, but - as i said the other day - though teams like Hull and Stoke (who I think are much worse on paper) came to our place and battled like fuck, and in Stoke's case got something, your players looked entirely unmotivated, and just not bothered on Sunday, so if that was the plan, it didn't work either.

The article might have some merit if looked at from a distance and I would usually agree with the need to go for tried and tested rather than local messiahs except for the fact I see a lot of the qualities I would want in a manager in Shearer. I would back him ahead of Bruce who has been pissed about by the likes of Zaki all season.