Premiership, best league in the world? No..

Mr. Snrub

A bit OT maybe. But it seems that some of you think that its a disgrace to support more than one team, and that team should be your home town, local club etc. How do you feel about the thousands of Newcastle supporters that are not based in Newcastle or England for that matter.. ?

I have supported Newcastle for 15 years or so, and I have been to St. James Park about 10 times, pluss a couple of away games. But I honestly dont have a "reason" for supporting Newcastle, actually, when I was seven, the only reason why I "chose" Newcastle was because I thought Asprilla had a funne name, and some of my older mates said he was mint, so I "chose" Newcastle as my club.

So I was wondering, am I also a "plastic supporter" or whatever you call it?

Sorry but isnt there a conflict in there. Your compaining about people who love Newcastle who arent from Newcastle but your opening statement was about supporting more than 1 team. Huge difference in the 2 subjects.

Sorry but isnt there a conflict in there. Your compaining about people who love Newcastle who arent from Newcastle but your opening statement was about supporting more than 1 team. Huge difference in the 2 subjects.

Agree. It is very easy to choose to support Newcastle if you also chose to support a team like Barcelona.

It's hard for me to get my head round people from foreign countries choosing to support a foreign team. I can understand liking to watch the likes of Man U, Barcelona, etc because of their quality but to actually support them and get upset if they don't win? It happens in other sports though. People supported Michael Schumacher in F1 "because he was the best".

Guest kesse

I know its not related to the earlier discussion in this tread if thats what you meant? i just wanted to know what people feel about Newcastle supporters that dont have a "reason" for supporting them, especially supporters from other countries, because I sometimes get the feeling that some of you think that we should find our own team, in our home country.

I know its not related to the earlier discussion in this tread if thats what you meant? i just wanted to know what people feel about Newcastle supporters that dont have a "reason" for supporting them, especially supporters from other countries, because I sometimes get the feeling that some of you think that we should find our own team, in our home country.

Personally speaking it causes me no problem. The more supporters we have the better. So long as everyone who supports, continues to support through times like these then all is good for me.

Would piss me off thinking there are people turning their backs on us because we have gone down (but that relates to people from newcastle as well)

As I said above it's hard to get our heads around. In England we have a lot of clubs. People who don't support their local, home town/city club and 'choose' to support someone like Man U get stick. It's just weird to me to go to Dublin and see shops selling Sunderland and Celtic shirts. Those countries have their own leagues. The leagues will always be crap as the home population often seem to support foreign, glamour sides.

Guest guinness_fiend

I was rubbered last night and acting the c*** (can't handle the ol' sambuca) and thus on the wind up, but the amount of people to take the bait is quite shocking.   :kinnear:

Entertaining thread, none the less.

The amount of disclaimers appearing on this forum recently is amusing as hell: "I was drunk," "I was on the wind up," "My dog was on the PC..." ;)

Premiership - best league in the world

Barcelona - best team in Europe

The two are hardly mutually exclusive.  Fergie made a tactical gaff last night and cost his team the cup.  Barcelona didn't defend very well, more that United's reliance on 100 yard cross-field balls didn't work.

Guest kesse

Personally speaking it causes me no problem. The more supporters we have the better. So long as everyone who supports, continues to support through times like these then all is good for me.

Would piss me off thinking there are people turning their backs on us because we have gone down (but that relates to people from newcastle as well)

Of course, the same goes for us. If a Newcastle supporter from Norway, Denmark etc turns his back at Newcastle now he will get stick. Thing is, for most times this is not a problem for us Newcastle supporters in Norway because we are used to supporting a shit team. But there are plenty of scum, pool and chelsea faens for instance that stops supporting in bad times but comes back when things are looking bright.

As I said above it's hard to get our heads around. In England we have a lot of clubs. People who don't support their local, home town/city club and 'choose' to support someone like Man U get stick. It's just weird to me to go to Dublin and see shops selling Sunderland and Celtic shirts. Those countries have their own leagues. The leagues will always be crap as the home population often seem to support foreign, glamour sides.

I can understand that. But the whole Premiership is very different here in Norway.. Newcastle is not a big deal here, but the Premier League is massive! Pretty much  bigger than any other summer sport, including "Tippeligaen", the Norwegian top division. We dont have supportershops for individual teams, but we have a couple of shop selling all kinds of kits.. I dont know why the Premier League is so big in Norway or Scandinavia in general, it just is, and I wouldnt in my wildest dreams stop supporting Newcastle for a team here in Norway.

The Premier League is sold around the world as a product. Lots of places whose own leagues aren't the same quality can watch it. The teams are packaged as products. The fact that e.g. Man U come from Manchester is meaningless to people outside of England. For me though, Newcastle is my home. NUFC is my home's football team. If we lose it hurts, if we win it's great. I don't dislike people from outside the area supporting the team but it would be a bit like me supporting the LA Lakers basketball team. I don't have any connection to LA. I wonder what a Man U fan from Manchester thinks when someone from Nigeria or wherever talks about 'their' team. I once had a taxi driver in Mauritius telling me his team (Man U) always beat my team Newcastle. I asked him why he supported them and he said "because they are the best".

I doubt many people in Spain or Italy watch the Premier League compared to the amount that watch their own league.

I was rubbered last night and acting the cunt (can't handle the ol' sambuca) and thus on the wind up, but the amount of people to take the bait is quite shocking.   :kinnear:

Entertaining thread, none the less.

http://www.stolaf.edu/committees/safety/SafetyHabit.jpg

:pow:

What makes laugh is the fact that for years and years we have laughed and poured scorn on the Scottish League as its a joke league with only 2 teams.

Since the creation of the Premier League and the compound effects of the ironically named Champions League, the English league is now just the same as the Scottish league, except a bit bigger.

The earlier years were spent with the top teams vying it out for the top 4 positions and now its complete and the top 4 cannot be budged without massive financial investment from outside sources.

The English League is now the Scottish League we wants scoffed at.

People obviously aren't going to agree on the subject, because surely the "best" league is simply the one with the greater quantity of clubs that inspire the most emotion (positive or negative) in you, subjectively? That's all it comes down to, isn't it? How much of a shit we give about the teams themselves as opposed to their actual combined quality -- something which is pretty much unmeasurable anyway?