Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

Chelsea are closing in on a £4m deal for Charlton's 17-year-old forward Jonjo Shelvey, who is also being tracked by Newcastle, Tottenham and West Ham. (Daily Express)

Who exactly is tracking him I wonder?

I have no idea how the trial went in January(or it was more like just a visit as he called it himself) for Jukka Raitala but he really did impress in Euro U21 in Sweden. All the class or over hyped players in this competition such as Walcott, Milner and Marko Marin were easily in his back pocket. Raitaila didn't sound too confident when talking about his trial at the club and was sort of disappointed as he was promised to be training with the 1st team which never realized and the behind closed doors friendly against Carlisle? was all reserves as well.

Anyway he's cheap(easily less than a million euros...although the price surely went up after his prefomances at the comp) and seems like an ambitious personality. I think a step up to CCC from a local Veikkausliiga level wouldn't be too big for him and we really need a back-up for Enrique(or both FB's position). However I sort of think that our scouting department wasn't too heavily involved in Sweden and on the other hand all players at these games are already well known.

NUFC turmoil means missing out on transfers

Jun 26 2009 by Steve Brown, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE may have missed out on a freebie with recent Champions League experience this summer.

And top agent Ian Elliott says it is all because of the power vacuum at St James’s Park.

Elliott has touted the player to the Magpies to no avail because even his connections have left him wondering who to negotiate with at Gallowgate.

A chief executive figure would help, Elliott believes. For all his critics, Freddy Shepherd had it right, he adds.

But while United continue to fumble in the dark, Elliott insists the answer is staring them in the face: Alan Shearer.

“I’ve got a top quality player with Champions League experience that I’ve been trying to put in to Newcastle on a Bosman free, but who do I talk to?” Elliott said.

“There’s a raft of names out there but who do you approach? It’s very difficult until they put a manager in place.

“Even then, if they talk to the quality players you would hope a club like Newcastle would be targeting, you bet your life there are other clubs after them as well.

“They won’t attract the top drawer but if they appoint Alan Shearer, who has that aura Kevin Keegan had, they can still get good players.

“The trouble for now is, which ones? Who decides? Normally you ask a club what they’re looking for and see if you can fill the vacancy, but how do you know what they’re looking for?

“I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a chief executive or a director of football handling transfers providing he is negotiating for players the manager has identified.

“That can be a huge advantage, taking work off the manager’s plate. Most of them work within that sort of system, where the manager provides a list of players and says ‘Go and get them’.

“I don’t think Kevin Keegan would have had a problem with Dennis Wise if the players they were bringing in were ones he’d identified.

“Under Freddy Shepherd, Newcastle had a very good set-up. Managers chose the players they wanted and Freddy went out and did the business. That’s the correct way to do it.

“Rightly or wrongly, Freddy always backed his managers to the hilt.”

Another agent trying to shift s*** has-beens onto the one club gullible enough to not only buy players based on reputations from 3+ years ago, but also offer them contracts that reflect what they used to be. No doubt the agent is pissed off at not having this easy option of making a small fortune by lumbering NUFC with s*** that noone else remotely values compared to us.

"Top quality player with CL experience on a Bosman"...most likely the guy isn't even close to top quality (anymore) if he wants to sign for us when we're in the f***ing Championship with no manager and a s*** squad. And he's on a Bosman, so how s*** must he be if we're a likely destination?

As for backing the managers, yeah right, we all saw how the managers' list of players fell through the window because they weren't worth the asking price whenever Shepherd thought there was a better alternative. Wonder if this is an attempt to suck up to Shepherd before he takes over, or if he's just a "mate" who enjoyed having Shepherd happily taking has-beens off his hands. Really hope it's the latter.

Guest Roger Kint

Ian Elliot is the dodgy bloke who was caught in the Panorana thing wasnt he?

Either way my guess is Ian Harte :smug:

Guest Geordiecunny

Regarding the MLS, I'd quite like to see some sort of arrangement making the MLS winner get to participate in the Champions League to boost "soccer" awareness.

why?

Regarding the MLS, I'd quite like to see some sort of arrangement making the MLS winner get to participate in the Champions League to boost "soccer" awareness.

:facepalm:

An American club in the European Cup? Not see the problem with that?

Why would you want that?