RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Its just game theory in action, there's no mystery to it whatsover.

The seller is holding out for as much as he can and the buyer is trying to pay as little as he can.

Personally i reckon, since Ashley announced his intention to sell the club, the buyers know that he 'wants out' and are therfore not going to offer the asking price. Seymour Pierce's role is to act as an intermediary to stop direct bargaining between the parties but the buyers will know that since Ashley expressed a desire to leave, his minimal acceptable price is lower than the asking price. So why pay the asking price when you can 'game' the seller?

You could instead believe that he is doing it because he is a big cry-baby, up to you.

The seller is holding out for as much as he can and the buyer is trying to pay as little as he can.

Personally i reckon, since Ashley announced his intention to sell the club, the buyers know that he 'wants out' and are therfore not going to offer the asking price. Seymour Pierce's role is to act as an intermediary to stop direct bargaining between the parties but the buyers will know that since Ashley expressed a desire to leave, his minimal acceptable price is lower than the asking price. So why pay the asking price when you can 'game' the seller?

You could instead believe that he is doing it because he is a big cry-baby, up to you.

You might want to consider his declaration for the sale option might be cause he is just ducking short term decision making or facing upto a demanding manager like Shearer. The offer prices I'd imagine will be nowhere near 100m.

a bit of sense. he is just trying to get as much money as possible out of basically a failed business.

this nonsense about him doing all this just to get at the fans is birthday card pish

Wonder who 'the insider' is

Hopefully Llambias cos he talks s****. Thing is if it's all cloak and dagger and as has been reported already, the most senior person at SJP is an accountant, no one will know a thing, more speculation, the people ITK are refusing to comment. In addition Hughton even said himself on Saturday that he doesn't expect to be in charge come the start of the season.

If there's no news by next monday I'd expect them to bring someone in as it's getting too near the start of the season. If we start the season with Hughton and Calderwood I think Ashley is making his intentions quite clear, he wants to f*** us up big style

You are right - that is EXACTLY what he wants to do to us. I have always said it was 'personal' for Ashley, he HATES what we did to him (as he sees it) over the DoF / Keegan affair.  I used to get told I was mad for thinking and saying that / for being so stupid and melodramatic (things 'like that' just don't happen!!)

However, an elementary study of people-types (psychology) shows Ashley to be like that  -  and he will NOT CARE about any financial cost to him, at all.  HE has all the power, and we the supporters (and our club itself) have NONE.  What does it feel like to be turned over and sha**ed - to DEATH - big time, everyone?  Get used to it (if we even survive).

If this becomes clear, I wonder whether there's any room for the PFA or FA to intervene and ask him what the hell is going on. Essentially he is bringing the game in to disrepute by running one of the biggest institutes in British Football in to the ground. If the company I work for treated our staff like that we would go to our union to see what the hell is going on, surely in Football this should be no different. It's a disgrace. I've tried to be optimistic about all of this, and whilst it could just be scaremongering from the press, who are equally frustrated by the lack of news forthcoming, I don't think I can remember any club going through this much shite. Leeds might have had a bit of mis-management and ultimately paid the price, but there's was down to debt. Essentially we don't have as much (on the basis Ashley owes himself most of the money), and we are lead to believe several parties are offering him a way out of the mess. Instead he chooses to keep silent on the whole matter, leave a complete prick with no knowledge of running a football club in charge, sitting looking smug and nodding in disapproval as his boss is called a wanker by several thousand people, and has to endure the humiliation of having underwear thrown at him. He must be getting paid well, be thick skinned or thick to put up with it. In any other business if your customers treated you with as much contempt you would know the time was right to get out of there.

One thing's for certain, either good or bad, we're in for another interesting season. Some players have came out publicly about the state of the club, I thing their next point of call has to be the PFA. No one has come out to defend Ashley's actions and the promises of better communicaation from the club have proved to be false.

All we really want is for someone to speak publicly and say where we are. If there are no bids, fair enough come out and tell us, tell us what the plan is, and whilst we'd be pissed off, at least we'd know what to expect

The fact that there is more than one party interested in buying the club means that serious bidders will have to put up decent offers though, then it just comes down to whether Ashley is going to bite the bullet and accept the best one....and if he doesn't where does he plan on going from here?

I still think he'll sell..............he's going for damage limitation from his personal viewpoint and I dare say if we'd been in his position and made a poor decision to buy into a club we had no affection for - I dunno say Blackburn or someone - we would be doing the same thing.

Drag it out, have Seymour Pierce tell bidders you're on the verge of taking it off the market, send out some messages fairly soon to the same effect and barter up the price as high as possible - probably hours before the transfer window deadline.

I've lost all respect for the bastard a long time ago (I was a vociferous supporter of his - ashamed to say) but can understand why he's doing what he is from a commercial perspective when taking my own emotion as a supporter out of the equation and taking a step back.

Guest toonlass

This is driving me absolutely up the wall. I know that bugger all is happening and yet I so desperately want someone to have bought the club every time I log on. It is killing me to see our club dragged through the shite like this.

Why can't Shearer come in on the rolling contract that Calderwood/Hughton is on?

There really seems to be no end to this downward spiral...

Exactly. Nobody could be 'that stupid', yet Ashley is.

Guest michaelfoster

Why can't Shearer come in on the rolling contract that Calderwood/Hughton is on?

There really seems to be no end to this downward spiral...

Only Calderwood is on  a rolling contract, Hughton is contracted till 2011

Guest chris1210

My main worry about this whole debacle is where it leaves the club financially with the bloody high earners? I can't understand the dilly dallying over the sale - surely the club is losing money at a ridiculous rate the longer this goes on!?

Kill everyone, start again.

That's actually a great idea. Make sure our good players aren't on the team bus when it drives off a cliff or something. Or maybe do what Ken Bates did to Matthew Harding, put the team in a helicopter with C4 and a gold watch timer placed underneath. The insurance payout for the likes of Barton, Coloccini, Smith, Butt, etc would enable us to repay the overdraft, fund new transfers, and put a massive dent in the wage bill. Everybody wins.

Guest Brazilianbob

The thing is if Ashley sells for say £70m and the new buyer takes on the debt of £100m over whatever repayment period is agreed, if the new owner defaults, Ashley can put us into administration so that the administrators have a fire sale of players in order to recoup his money.  So even if we are sold, we will still have an Ashley axe hanging over our necks.

This is driving me absolutely up the wall. I know that bugger all is happening and yet I so desperately want someone to have bought the club every time I log on. It is killing me to see our club dragged through the s**** like this.

I feel like Mike Ashley has shit in my bed. 

The thing is if Ashley sells for say £70m and the new buyer takes on the debt of £100m over whatever repayment period is agreed, if the new owner defaults, Ashley can put us into administration so that the administrators have a fire sale of players in order to recoup his money.  So even if we are sold, we will still have an Ashley axe hanging over our necks.

Why do people keep mentioning the £100 million debt? If Ashley hasn't written it off then he's never going to sell the club, and we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

He's such a thick cunt that he may not realise even now that every day he delays the sale weakens his position and strengthens that of the potential purchasers. When the shite results start rolling in, and the players and fans revolt, the value of the club will plummet and NOW is the time for him to cut his losses and fuck off!

Guest DavB93

I couldn't see Shearer signing a rolling contract.  plus it would put any new owner who didn't want Shearer as manager in a bit of an awkward situation.

This situation is awkward enough, couldn't do us any harm.

I'm sure anyone who wants to buy us will appoint Shearer anyhow, I honestly think the delay is Ashley just being as awkward as possible to put us even in more trouble (can't get rid of the dead wood or bring new players in).

Guest DavB93

Why do people keep mentioning the £100 million debt? If Ashley hasn't written it off then he's never going to sell the club, and we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

He's such a thick cunt that he may not realise even now that every day he delays the sale weakens his position and strengthens that of the potential purchasers. When the shite results start rolling in, and the players and fans revolt, the value of the club will plummet and NOW is the time for him to cut his losses and fuck off!

I've wondered that why people keep mentioning the 100m, that's one good thing Ashley has done for the club and that's clear the debts we had...sure he plowed 150m or so to clear us.

Guest ObaStar

the fact of the matter is that no one knows what has happened or will happened with the 100 mill of debt. It is possible that while Ashley was owner he simply paid it off. In that case he has no legal right to that money anymore. If he simply paid off the banks and gave newcastle an interest free loan then its a bit different. No one actually knows which of the two that he did. If he loaned the money to the club then its not as though the new owners have to come up with it. they will simply pay it off over a number of years and not have to pay interest.

Guest DavB93

I know that some of the bidders were told they were suppose to hear something last Friday but still waiting...

Anyone think this was all just a ploy to deflect the heat from us being relegated?

"I am happy to end the uncertainty the fans may have had about the future direction of Newcastle United.

"I know just how important that is to you.

"I have withdrawn Newcastle United from the market, and for me 2009 2010 will be the year in which we drive the club forward together.

"Even when I haven't been at games I have remained a keen supporter, kicking and heading every ball and cheering the team on TV and being first to congratulate Joe Alan whenever there's a good result."

"When I took the decision to put the club up for sale in September June I made a point of saying two things were very important.

"Firstly any potential buyer would have to show they had the best interests of Newcastle United at heart and had both the commitment and finance to be worthy custodians of such a fine football club before I would even consider doing a deal.

"And secondly, I gave you my word that as long as I remain owner, this club would continue to be run responsibly at all levels. I hope you will accept that I have stood by that pledge."