RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/oleary-in-frame-for-newcastle-as-ashley-set-to-reject-takeover-bid-1770541.html

O'Leary in frame for Newcastle as Ashley set to reject takeover bid

By Ian Herbert

Wednesday, 12 August 2009

The prospect of Newcastle United spending the new season under the ownership of Mike Ashley and the managerial hand of David O'Leary edged closer yesterday with no breakthrough in takeover discussions with Tyneside businessman Barry Moat.

If no deal is forthcoming by the end of the week – Ashley is understood to feel that Moat and his backers are £10m short – one appears increasingly unlikely with only two weeks of the transfer window remaining for a prospective new owner to refashion the side. As things stand, the odds seem set against a deal going ahead, leaving Ashley at the helm of the club and ready to turn to O'Leary.

Uncertainty about the sale process is heightened by the lack of clarity about the price Ashley is demanding, which ranges from £70m to £90m, though there is a correlation between the number of players the club can get moved on, so reducing the wage bill, and the figure Ashley will expect. Ashley certainly seems to feel that Moat's offer is unrealistic, which has lessened the prospect of Alan Shearer being appointed manager – as is Moat's desire. An associate of Ashley's suggested yesterday that he might be at St James' Park for Newcastle's first home game of the Championship season against Reading on Saturday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1205917/Brave-Mike-Ashley-risk-wrath-Toon-Army-appearance-Reading.html?ITO=1490

Brave Mike Ashley to risk wrath of Toon Army with appearance against Reading

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 11:29 PM on 11th August 2009

Mike Ashley is ready to risk the wrath of Newcastle fans by attending Saturday’s game against Reading, as belief grows that he will take the club off the market and give the manager’s job to David O’Leary.

Ashley, though, hopes to find out today if Tyneside entrepreneur Barry Moat and his backers are prepared to match his £100m asking price.

One thing I agree about is whatever the decision is we need a deadline more than anything else.

I wish I wanna know what Shearer said to him in that meeting after our relegation? I am sure it was not pleasent and thats why he can't get back to the job while Ashley is here....

Guest ItalianMagpie

Surely he cant seriously be thinking about coming on Saturday! Its like Ashley is rubbing our noses in s***.

I think he is instead. He'll release a note with which he takes the club off the market the day before, he'll renew his commitment to the club and he'll regularly be at his place on Sat. Does this sound familiar to anyone? :rolleyes:

Him staying is a shocking thought BUT O'Dreary will know he is being linked and he has not ruled himself out and right now we need direction, transfer window closes soon and well I would much rather have him than JK.

I know it stinks but we may have to get used to the idea and back him, we will do more harm than good if we don't.

We can still hate the owner but back manager and squad.

One thing I agree about is whatever the decision is we need a deadline more than anything else.

I wish I wanna know what Shearer said to him in that meeting after our relegation? I am sure it was not pleasent and thats why he can't get back to the job while Ashley is here....

He's not getting the job because he asked for 20 million to spend on players to get us back up again, Ashley thinks we can get a few loan players in earning 2k a week and they'll get us back up.

Of course Ashley, being the football expert will know best.

Him staying is a shocking thought BUT O'Dreary will know he is being linked and he has not ruled himself out and right now we need direction, transfer window closes soon and well I would much rather have him than JK.

I know it stinks but we may have to get used to the idea and back him, we will do more harm than good if we don't.

something needs to happen alright one way or another the limbo must end and i'd put up with o'leary at least he would complain often about lack of cash

something needs to happen alright one way or another the limbo must end and i'd put up with o'leary at least he would complain often about lack of cash

He wouldn't complain about anything. If he brings in the Werepig it will be for exactly that reason.

"Yes Mike", "No Mike", "Of course we'll get promoted Mike, sell some more players quick"

Guest neesy111

if ashley is at the game, there has to be protest's

too many fan's have called for action against him and done fuck all themselves

time to show this man that he isn't wanted in the north east nevermind st james'