RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How will a sale to another owner affect the loan we have to pay back to Ashley?

that will be the small print he'll try to hide......just like was done to him.

He only had to look at the accounts that anyone can download, which were even more detailed when we were a plc. Staggering that he didn't even ask the question.

what wasn't in those accounts were the terms in which any loans had to be repaid.

How will a sale to another owner affect the loan we have to pay back to Ashley?

that will be the small print he'll try to hide......just like was done to him.

He only had to look at the accounts that anyone can download, which were even more detailed when we were a plc. Staggering that he didn't even ask the question.

what wasn't in those accounts were the terms in which any loans had to be repaid.

Including the millions of pounds of early redemption penalties.

The debts were there in black and white, they were hardly a secret. As Matt says, if he'd even enquired about them he could have easily found out the repayment terms and any penalties.

By all accounts the timescale deadline imposed by the Hall's to complete the sale made full due diligence impossible.  That's the chance Ashley took though & one which has obviously backfired.

FWIW though I don't think it's the state of those initial debts which has caused the financial problem, it's more the financial state of the club overall in terms of onerous contracts, already spent future revenue etc

Sorry to run this Sky story again but its the highlighted bit that caught my eye that makes it more interesting

Newcastle United could be sold within a month and at least two parties have already expressed their interest in buying the club, according to Sky Sports News.

Sky Sports News' chief news reporter Bryan Swanson understands no bids have yet been made after Mike Ashley put the club up for sale following their relegation to the Championship.

Ashley is believed to want in the region of £100m and Swanson has been told there is every expectation a deal will be concluded 'quickly' after a 'high level of interest'.

[glow=red,2,300]It's understood the two parties who have expressed an interest did not approach the club when it was initially put up for sale in September last year.[/glow]

Leading London investment bank Seymour Pierce, who have been commissioned to sell the club, have yet to comment on the latest takeover talks.

Maybe a non story but it Could be a sugar daddy or Fat Fred and his posse  :undecided:

If they weren't interested back in September, why not?

Do they not have enough cash to match Ashley's earlier valuation?

Are they just looking for a cheap club?

Have they only recently found the funds?

I'm sure the fact that the price-tag on our club has been reduced by 75% must have something to do wth it. It was up for 400 million pounds last September was it not? If it's 100 million pounds now, that's quite a cut.

Sorry to run this Sky story again but its the highlighted bit that caught my eye that makes it more interesting

Newcastle United could be sold within a month and at least two parties have already expressed their interest in buying the club, according to Sky Sports News.

Sky Sports News' chief news reporter Bryan Swanson understands no bids have yet been made after Mike Ashley put the club up for sale following their relegation to the Championship.

Ashley is believed to want in the region of £100m and Swanson has been told there is every expectation a deal will be concluded 'quickly' after a 'high level of interest'.

[glow=red,2,300]It's understood the two parties who have expressed an interest did not approach the club when it was initially put up for sale in September last year.[/glow]

Leading London investment bank Seymour Pierce, who have been commissioned to sell the club, have yet to comment on the latest takeover talks.

Maybe a non story but it Could be a sugar daddy or Fat Fred and his posse  :undecided:

If they weren't interested back in September, why not?

Do they not have enough cash to match Ashley's earlier valuation?

Are they just looking for a cheap club?

Have they only recently found the funds?

I'm sure the fact that the price-tag on our club has been reduced by 75% must have something to do wth it. It was up for 400 million pounds last September was it not? If it's 100 million pounds now, that's quite a cut.

I've always thought that figure was a bit weird, it was only reported from a single source when all the other sources were saying £240m was the asking price.  The 400 million figure may have been the price in dollars, since at the time $400m would have been roughly £240m.

By all accounts the timescale deadline imposed by the Hall's to complete the sale made full due diligence impossible.  That's the chance Ashley took though & one which has obviously backfired.

FWIW though I don't think it's the state of those initial debts which has caused the financial problem, it's more the financial state of the club overall in terms of onerous contracts, already spent future revenue etc

I've not got a copy to hand, but the sponsorship deals paid up front but not earned should have been classed as a liability on the books.

The stadium debt was subject to a change of control clause, but not only is that a pretty standard clause, he could always have googled it-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2343907/Takeover-bid-is-a-fog-on-the-Tyne.html

We're given to understand that the £100m price tag is an "all-in" price and that Ashley has written off the estimated £110m of additional funding that he shored up the club with - in other words a new owner does inherit that extra sum as a liability.

Could make us a hell of a lot more attractive.

We're given to understand that the £100m price tag is an "all-in" price and that Ashley has written off the estimated £110m of additional funding that he shored up the club with - in other words a new owner does inherit that extra sum as a liability.

I'm inclined to think he'll take what he can get especially with wages running so high (money that has to be found every month) till they are shifted. Might not be so  easy to shift either.

Either Ashley is in some serious financial trouble or he's just a major idiot for selling now when losing £30-40m this year but getting us promoted will instantly mean that our valuation rises by more than what he'll lose this year.

I'm inclined to think he'll take what he can get especially with wages running so high (money that has to be found every month) till they are shifted. Might not be so  easy to shift either.

Aye, the wages until Owen/Viduka/Cacapa/etc fuck off are just dead money now the season is over. The quicker he gets out the better for him.

Aye, the wages until Owen/Viduka/Cacapa/etc fuck off are just dead money now the season is over. The quicker he gets out the better for him.

If you think about it (assuming Owen is on £105,000 a week as many papers and FM document) then from the final day on May 24th, Owen will make £525,000, over half a million, from simply going into training for a couple of days and then sunning it and watching racehorses, in 5 weeks.

How much did Ashley pay for the club? £134m for the all the shares plus taking on the £80m debt, am I right? That means he paid about £210m for the club.

He's put £110m in at interest-free rate into the club. I imagine he'll sell for £100m and change the interest on the debt to something more standard (7% or something). It depends on how willing the new owners will be to finance a spending-spree of sorts because we're already losing money every month.

Fake edit: Or is what .com saying is that he'll just forget about the £110m he's put in and just sell the club for £100m straight, taking the £110m as a loss?

Depends on if Ashley wants £100m for the Enterprise Value of the business or £100m for the equity value.  I'm assuming its equity value and thus the cost of the debt will be in addition.

According to Guardian.co.uk:

"If he stays, Shearer is keen to reinforce the squad by signing Paul Scholes from Manchester United on a free transfer but high wages and Jermaine Beckford, the pacy Leeds United striker, for around £2m."

Any thoughts?

Guest Heneage

According to Guardian.co.uk:

"If he stays, Shearer is keen to reinforce the squad by signing Paul Scholes from Manchester United on a free transfer but high wages and Jermaine Beckford, the pacy Leeds United striker, for around £2m."

Any thoughts?

Why would Scholes join us?

What .com said makes sense. £100m (likely a bit less) gets you the club and the £110m owed to Ashley is written off.

exactly.

makes no sense.

if its written off, it doesnt become a liability.

slugsy may well be able to add to this