RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mincoff Jacksons' senior partner, Howard Gold, yesterday claimed Tandem Bars had nothing to do with Moat's reported bid for Newcastle. But when invited to state categorically that Rankin was not involved in the purchase of the club, Gold refused, citing client confidentiality.

Interesting......

I think much of the problem relates to the Ashley's request for the 100 million loan to be repaid to him. I dont think any prospective buyer would have a problem paying 100 million for a club with the ptoential we have. It is more to do with Ashley wanting the loan back.

Also, didnt Seymour Pierce say that a decision on the sale should be finalised before the end of the month? I think this 24 hour thing currently doing the rounds in the paper is nonsense.

Ashley will try to get as much as possible from prospective buyers and if he decides to stay on, he must put some money into the club in order to achieve promotion or else the value of the club will further reduce and his losses will be even bigger.

He is really in a difficult position personally and has to gamble on winning promotion immediately. To do that, he has to spend money.

Guest Geordie Boyo

Mincoff Jacksons' senior partner, Howard Gold, yesterday claimed Tandem Bars had nothing to do with Moat's reported bid for Newcastle. But when invited to state categorically that Rankin was not involved in the purchase of the club, Gold refused, citing client confidentiality.

Interesting......

Not really. Howard is a highly respected partner amongst the Mincoffs firm and clients confidentiality is always kept. He can't say anything, even if he would like to.

I think much of the problem relates to the Ashley's request for the 100 million loan to be repaid to him. I dont think any prospective buyer would have a problem paying 100 million for a club with the ptoential we have. It is more to do with Ashley wanting the loan back.

Also, didnt Seymour Pierce say that a decision on the sale should be finalised before the end of the month? I think this 24 hour thing currently doing the rounds in the paper is nonsense.

Ashley will try to get as much as possible from prospective buyers and if he decides to stay on, he must put some money into the club in order to achieve promotion or else the value of the club will further reduce and his losses will be even bigger.

He is really in a difficult position personally and has to gamble on winning promotion immediately. To do that, he has to spend money.

This is almost exactly what people said when they wanted rid of Fat Fred in the first place. Fat Fred, "the worst person in the world who could be running the club" apparently. The only difference is you're now babbling on about winning promotion versus challenging to win the PL. It was said by many people that anyone taking over the club would do better than Fat boy Fred because a new owner would automatically invest in the team/squad and of course they wouldn't spout rubbish to the press like Fred did. Well, it didn't work out that way and it won't necessarily work out again.

The point you're missing is that this bloke doesn't give a shit about the club, unlike the despised Fat Fred.  Ashley doesn't have to do anything like what you describe because :

1. he can afford to lose more money, lots of it, I'd say.

2. he is a gambler

3. he is stupid when it comes to the "business" of football.

His strength (or luck, really) appears to have been a one-off spot of a gap in the market for very cheap products.

He can afford to lose everything he's put into the football club and still be a very, very, very rich man.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Mike Ashley's warning to Barry Moat

Aug 11 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

Recommend

* next

Mike Ashley

MIKE Ashley is prepared to take Newcastle United off the market and offer David O’Leary the manager’s job unless Barry Moat deposits the money for his bid into a specified bank account by the end of the week.

Although Moat’s consortium has already provided proof of funds, it is understood Ashley is not convinced they are actually willing to spend the money they are talking about offering.

That sum is less than his £100m asking price, but appears to be enough – with some minor haggling over clauses – for Ashley to sell up as long as he knows for certain they can afford to spend it.

If that does not happen, O’Leary is Ashley’s first choice to become manager, although he has not offered him the job as he still wants to give Moat time to push the deal through after weeks of frustrating negotiations.

Sources have also confirmed that Ashley did intend to bring back Joe Kinnear as manager, but was forced to look elsewhere as the former interim boss is still unable to return to work because of the heart problems which forced him out of St James’s Park in February.

Ashley returned from a holiday in Hawaii yesterday to try to reach a satisfactory settlement for him to relinquish control of the Magpies, raising hopes that the deadlock would be broken.

But, with Alan Shearer back with his family on holiday in Portugal after a brief return to England to cover Newcastle’s 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion, fans are going to have to wait for an end to this infuriating saga.

A source close to Shearer said: “He is still waiting, that is all he can do. Hopefully the money will be deposited as quickly as possible and the club sold.”

Although United’s managing director Derek Llambias denied the club have already offered the job to David O’Leary, it is understood the Irishman is the leading candidate to become the new manager.

Indeed, given that Shearer has not spoken to Ashley since May and has had no contact with Llambias since last month, it is almost certain the former Magpies skipper will have to wait until

Ashley (pictured above) leaves before he gets another crack at the manager’s job.

O’Leary has not managed since he left Aston Villa in 2006 and is desperate – as was Joe Kinnear – for any sort of opening for him to return to football.

That is likely to ensure he is receptive to Ashley’s approach if and when it comes and, while the Irishman is no Shearer, most will agree he is a preferable option to Kinnear.

The eccentric former Wimbledon boss has alienated many with his ramblings over the summer, in which he has criticised United fans for their attitude to Ashley and their worship of Kevin Keegan and Shearer.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Speculative bullshit based on reading the various broadsheets take on things!

PS I had a dream The other night that Moat had taken us over. The only weird part was he was sitting in the stands with MA and DL :(

Barry Moat is far from the perfect candidate to take the club over but reading that article, I now hope he does quickly, we need to get that evil out of the club, Ashley is like a poison slowly killing us.

Ironic that Moat was the one who introduced Ashley to SJH in the first place though.

So according to the Journal:

1. Moat has provided proof of funds to SP but Ashley doesn't believe it. :idiot2:

2. Ashley wants the money put into a bank account by the end of the week as proof. :idiot2:

3. Ashley is now happy with <£100m. :idiot2:

4. Ashley did intend to bring back Kinnear but only couldn't because of his health problems. :idiot2:

Just read the times piece on .com. Is Ashley playing a bit of hardball here? Surely if Moat and his group are legit then they would have fallen by the wayside by now, as did the Profitable Group?

Reading between the lines re Shearer - kind of backs up that Ashley didn't like what he was told by Shearer and that if DoL comes in, then everything will be done on the cheap. But what's new there since this fat oaf took over our club?

Howay Barry - get it sorted!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Barry Moat is far from the perfect candidate to take the club over but reading that article, I now hope he does quickly, we need to get that evil out of the club, Ashley is like a poison slowly killing us.

Ironic that Moat was the one who introduced Ashley to SJH in the first place though.

I consider him about as perfect as they come at the moment. Man City type owners would make me feel uncomfortable. This is a guy who is an avid toon fan, and with Shearer on board will understand how to run a club properly. We are a big club who can generate big turnover so money for transfers will never really be an issue. I think we can generate our own funds for transfers ( about 15mil a year) with good decision making.

Guest pont-toon

Tbh Barrymore would be preferable to Ashley right now

seconded - as would Barry Taylor off Auf Weidersen Pet even though he is a radish !

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

1. Moat has provided proof of funds to SP but Ashley doesn't believe it. :idiot2:

2. Ashley wants the money put into a bank account by the end of the week as proof. :idiot2:

4. Ashley did intend to bring back Kinnear but only couldn't because of his health problems. :idiot2:

I think Ashley is saying that he doesn't believe they'll spend the amount of money that they claim and is asking for proof by means of a deposit in to another account which is normal.

I consider him about as perfect as they come at the moment. Man City type owners would make me feel uncomfortable. This is a guy who is an avid toon fan, and with Shearer on board will understand how to run a club properly. We are a big club who can generate big turnover so money for transfers will never really be an issue. I think we can generate our own funds for transfers ( about 15mil a year) with good decision making.

No offence, but I think that's very optimistic and you don't know anything about Moat or his agenda. 

We are leaking cash big time at the moment so there is going to be a further cull on players - £15m a year (where that number comes from who knows) isn't going to help us from a standing start of having a threadbare 1st team let alone squad. 

Our turnover next year is going to be vastly down, so money for transfers is a very big issue, our cost structure needs completely restructuring and the pain of that will be very evident next year.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I dont know what to think tbh. I feel the end should be nigh, but i have also been cautiously optomistic all summer

Tend to agree with Slugsy tbh. Ashley is killing the club but that's no guarantee that Moat will be tons better. We'd have to just wait and see, rather than proclaiming him as the second coming like many of us did with Ashley. I'm not falling for it again tbh.

Tend to agree with Slugsy tbh. Ashley is killing the club but that's no guarantee that Moat will be tons better. We'd have to just wait and see, rather than proclaiming him as the second coming like many of us did with Ashley. I'm not falling for it again tbh.

I doubt a blind monkey could do much worse than Ashley has. Whatever happens if Moat takes over I'm sure no-one will look back and think "I wish we still had Mike Ashley."

I doubt a blind monkey could do much worse than Ashley has. Whatever happens if Moat takes over I'm sure no-one will look back and think "I wish we still had Mike Ashley."

You can't say that as you don't know, say Moat owned us and we had accumulated massive debts, he wouldn't have the money personally to pay them of or at least guarantee them,  I'm not defending Ashley or anything but a less wealthy owner would either have to sell us to someone for nowt in this situation or we'd be in Administration.

I doubt a blind monkey could do much worse than Shepherd has. Whatever happens if Ashley takes over I'm sure no-one will look back and think "I wish we still had Freddy Shepherd."

Rings a bell....