RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Somehow, Mike Ashley became a billionaire.

I just don't understand how. Is he as reckless and half-arsed in his other ventures? It's one thing buying a football club 'for a laugh', but I don't think at any point he understood how great a responsbility he had taken on.

im beginning to think he has one of those brain tumours that changes your personality, turning an intelligent, canny businessman into a frothing at the mouth buffoon who fails to do what he should and does exactly what he shouldn't.

There are exceptions but amongst the select band of people that make vast sums of money from modest beginnings (and huge respect to anyone who does that btw) Ashley is fairly typical. They believe that because they've cracked it in one particular businesss they walk on water and can apply their expertise to another market. They try and apply the same rules that worked in what they did before and f*ck up.

Guest northwestmag1892

f*** off making this another thread about whether Keegan was to blame or whatever.

Please. :(

The point was to folks to extrapolate the rest of the season from those points from September and we see an utter disaster. KK is irrelevant in the season as a whole but relevant for the first month only... Gerrit?

Am I right in thinking that in addition to owning the club he also loaned the club £100 million?

If he was to sell the club, does it also mean that the club/new owners will owe him £100 million which he could then call in?

Yes, purchasing a company means you purchase all the assets and liabilities of that company - since NUFC owes £110m to Ashley's company (St James' Holdings Ltd or whatever its called), that debt will be attached to NUFC when ownership changes hands.

Pretty sure a heavily discounted settlement on this loan would be part of any deal. Following a takeover, there is no way anyone would want £110m owed to a former owner on the books.

Guest Wally_McFool

Tonights news just confirmed what a lot of us suspected and that is, had Ashley not put the club up for sale,  the summer transfer window would just have been the same as the past 4 transfer windows have been under Ashley.

False hope and all that.....

If this is good news or bad depends on whether anyone wants to buy  our club.

I think it will turn out OK.

Am I right in thinking that in addition to owning the club he also loaned the club £100 million?

If he was to sell the club, does it also mean that the club/new owners will owe him £100 million which he could then call in?

Yes, purchasing a company means you purchase all the assets and liabilities of that company - since NUFC owes £110m to Ashley's company (St James' Holdings Ltd or whatever its called), that debt will be attached to NUFC when ownership changes hands.

Pretty sure a heavily discounted settlement on this loan would be part of any deal. Following a takeover, there is no way anyone would want £110m owed to a former owner on the books.

Yup - would have thought so.

Tonights news just confirmed what a lot of us suspected and that is, had Ashley not put the club up for sale,  the summer transfer window would just have been the same as the past 4 transfer windows have been under Ashley.

That'd be a first.

There's no way Ashley will get his £100m back.  It will be reduced significantly or even written off as part of the agreement to sell.  Unless Ashley is really valuing the club at £200m.  At the moment his debt is at risk just like any other creditor.  If the club goes into administration he can kiss bye bye to his £100m and the £134 he paid to buy it.  I think him getting £100m back will be a result for him to be honest.  He risks everything if the club goes to the wall.

Either way it gets rid of any doubt that Ashley just doesn't care any more and the club is dragging him down.  Not good.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm worried things could get a lot worse within the next couple of years, until then they will get worse.  :undecided:

Guest Wally_McFool

That'd be a first.

My optimism could well be based on the fact that I have been drinking.  :coolsmiley:

Guest firetotheworks

You know you're in the shit when you'd welcome Fat Freddy back, and at this stage, would I?  :undecided: Fuckin hell, I think I actually would.  :no:

Guest itsTosh

It seems odd to make an unofficial public announcement in this way at this time. Anybody would have known that the club was for sale anyway, at some kind of price. (The 100m tag does seem like made-up press guesswork to me.) So, I doubt any buyers are actually interested right now, since if they were, it would be better for MA to keep quiet about it until it was all done and dusted. No, the really significant bit, coming after a week of negotiations with AS, is the bigging up of the actual, present manager of NUFC. :kinnear:

You know you're in the s*** when you'd welcome Fat Freddy back, and at this stage, would I?  :undecided: Fuckin hell, I think I actually would.  :no:

Does FF have enough wedge to buy us? I suspect he'd need others involved too. Still even having Fat Freddy back will be almost be a relief - it seems strange to say that........

I know we're going over old ground, but you cannot expect a manager to be judged when you are signing him unwanted players. I don't blame him for leaving.  Only thing IF he'd stayed and fought he would have been in a position of power to fight from, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

My opinion of Kevin Keegan will never change, idol for me!